What's new
the micro usb cables by any chance short onces supplied with a power-bank or similar thing, those often lack the data wires
Ah yup I've seen that too... The chargers for vape pens are like this for example, if you cut into the cable you see only two wires (red/black) no data lines (yellow/green).

i thought of the cable as well, but the one i used should work... tomorrow iˋll try to connect the jvs pac to my regular windows pc to see if it gets recognized, as the groovyarcade is a linux system and iˋm hopeless with that.

Ok, short update:

Windows PC, recognises JVS PAC without a problem - i figured it wouldn't hurt to update the firmware on the JVS PAC, so I also did that.

Unfortunately when I power up the cab, with I/O and JVS PAC and connect it to the PC or the groovy arcade i still don't get any imputs (on the PC there should appear letters and numers one Notepad since it's a keyboard, am i right?)

Then i realised that 4th screen n the JVS PAC is for imput testing - imputs are arriving at the JVS PAC.

Next step is trying all micro usb cables lying around until i find one that works - if not i faer there's a problem with the JVS PAC...

Can the PC recognise the JVS PAC wit an insufficient usb cable?

Windows PC, recognises JVS PAC without a problem

Then i realised that 4th screen n the JVS PAC is for imput testing - imputs are arriving at the JVS PAC.
So seems the JVS-PAC is OK, as both USB and JVS is confirmed working. If you use the same cable, cable should then also be OK - apart from people using charging-only cables, bad cables are not a common issue.

Which linux distro/setup are you using? You could try a different physical USB port on that computer.

You could also try this, https://irkenlabs.com/jvs-pac2/mame-for-31khz-cabinets for a simple easy windows setup that works pretty damn well..

for the Groovyarcade i used their current Live CD for installing it.

i finally got a reaction on the windows PC, but that stupid linux distro still doesn't obey

i tried all different usb ports as you sugggested, i really think it's somehow driver related on the linux side

I haven't tested it extensively on Linux apart from checking with a raspberry PI, but as I now have the magic ability to compiler Mister (where the input system is Linux), I'll have a closer look.

that's great news, especially since i'm just now waiting for my mister setup to arrive...

thanks again for all your Help and all the wor you put into all of this :thumbsup:

Allright, need a little help with this one. This version works fine as far as I can test it on my mister setup, but I could only test it with a one player 4 button supergun type setup - my cab is not operational (or in my house). It does not show the weirdness I saw with earlier versions.

I yanked out a lot of unused code, updated some usb stuff from the CPU manufacturer and generally cleaned things up a bit - @MoppelTheWhale would be great if you could give it a spin on your Linux setup.

I added a mister shiftmode that is very simple, 1pstart + left = F12 to bring up the OSD menu, 1pstart + right for enter, so you can navigate and change cores without using a keyboard.

Attachments

• jvspac2-2021-01-31.zip
    208.3 KB · Views: 187
I know it probably doesn't help, but I use an original JVS PAC with groovyarcade linux distro just fine. I don't have a JVS PAC 2 to try unfortunately.

For Mister, I guess the cores can have two types of input, keyboard and gamepad. If the core doesn't fully support mame keys, you can instruct Mister to regard the keyboard as a gamepad. Not entirely sure how all that works as I don't have my cab up, but you will then need this in your mister.ini file:

; - JVS-PAC 2
jamma_vid=0x16d0
jamma_pid=0x09ab

i'll try to test it either when i'm on my lunch break or in the evening - the setup im running at the moment is 2 player 4 buttons on the blast.

ok, did a short test with GroovyArcade after updating the firmware, unfortunately it's still not working for me.

@skate323k137 do you know if i have to do anything speacial with the joystick settings in GroovyArcade? So far i haven't done anything special, i can only say that the options for Ps3/Ps4 and Xbox Options are not available yet, and the other settings are either not relevant (Wiimote) or i don't know what they are and they want me to write settings in an editor... (OpenPPJOY & Pc2Jamma, Antimicro Autostart and Q.Joy Autostart)

I can't test MiSTer yet, will do so as soon as it arrives.

With my JVS PAC, I didn't have to do anything special for button or joystick mapping in groovyarcade. It was plug and play.

for the Groovyarcade i used their current Live CD for installing it.

i finally got a reaction on the windows PC, but that stupid linux distro still doesn't obey

i tried all different usb ports as you sugggested, i really think it's somehow driver related on the linux side
I downloaded the 2020 groovymame ISO and my JVS PAC 2 works just fine with it (I have the lastest mister firmware on it). Try different USB cables for both the JVS and micro USB connection.

OK, i have no clue what's different now, but at the moment it seems to work... game selection is rather sluggish at the moment, but it seems to work.

I'll give it a whil in the evening and see how it goes...

Thanks for all your help so far guys!

Also try using a USB 2.0 connection instead of a USB 3.0 connection.

There's some funky USB chipsets out there. If it isn't a Fresco Logic, Intel, or Renesas chipset you may run into issues. AMD's and ASMedia's latest USB chipsets are good, but anything pre UBS 3.0 Gen 2 is known to have issues.

Allright, need a little help with this one. This version works fine as far as I can test it on my mister setup, but I could only test it with a one player 4 button supergun type setup - my cab is not operational (or in my house). It does not show the weirdness I saw with earlier versions.

I yanked out a lot of unused code, updated some usb stuff from the CPU manufacturer and generally cleaned things up a bit - @MoppelTheWhale would be great if you could give it a spin on your Linux setup.

I added a mister shiftmode that is very simple, 1pstart + left = F12 to bring up the OSD menu, 1pstart + right for enter, so you can navigate and change cores without using a keyboard.
Thanks for updating this!! Just want to share my experiences with the JVSPAC2 so far on my MiSTer.

I'm running it in a New Net City cab
Latest Firmware on MiSTer
Your firmware you linked to above dated 01-31-21

This firmware fixed all my issues I had with JVSPAC2 and the MiSTer...it was basically unusable before.

Now it's working pretty well.

It doesn't just work out of the box, I did end up having to map the controls for it both at the menu and in each core. But once it was mapped it seemed to work pretty well for me. 2 player even worked well too. I tried 2 player in Genesis, Neo Geo, and various arcade cores and all seemed to work well once I mapped controls via the core menu.

The button combinations that you mentioned above only really worked for me outside of cores (in menu.rbf). Once I was in a core, those button combo's didn't seem to translate for some reason. HOWEVER just mapping the menu Button to the "Test" or "Service 1" button on my NNC did the trick just fine for me.

I can test 2 player a bit better here come Sunday, but the main issue I had noticed with it before were multiple inputs at the same time seemed to behave very strangely with the old firmware. For example, both players couldn't do a diagonal input at the same time. Making street fighter or any shooters play like crap.

However now it looks like those behave like they should. Or at least as well as I can test by myself at the moment.

Thanks again for this update, and if there's anything else you'd like me to test on this just let me know. :)

Back