What's new
I also had the same problem. With the version Remap_Autofire, the HAS mode is activated in the sketch by default. You have to set this to "0" in the sketch. Or deactivate with the controller.
"To enable / disable HAS mode, simply hold the A button while powering the adapter on."
In the version without autofire, the HAS mode is deactivated by default.

Thanks for the info. I've updated the code and the HEX files to change the behavior of HAS mode detection on startup. Now if HAS mode has never been changed before it will default to off in the code.

I didn't even think about it being in has mode. Thanks for the update!

Bought one from your site, @Arthrimus, but for some reason I can't get my controller to work. I said in my notes that I wanted it flashed for Retrobit bluetooth, which is what I still have planned, but it looks like it might not be compatible with the Sega Saturn 3D Control Pad?

Its highly unlikely that the adapter works with the 3d pad. I don't have one to test with, but my understanding is that the 3d pad uses a completely different communication protocol from the standard pad.

@biggestsonicfan Have you tried both modes on the controller?
My understanding was that the controller ran as a digital controller for compatibility when not in analog mode...

Its highly unlikely that the adapter works with the 3d pad. I don't have one to test with, but my understanding is that the 3d pad uses a completely different communication protocol from the standard pad.
Ah, darn. Too bad.
@biggestsonicfan Have you tried both modes on the controller?
My understanding was that the controller ran as a digital controller for compatibility when not in analog mode...
Yup. Played with adjusting that switch for like half an hour before giving up.

My adapter is designed to be initialized by a standard pad when it is plugged in. If the 3d pad has a different startup routine my code wouldn't know what to do with it even if you can switch modes on the 3d pad. I'll look for a 3d pad to do some testing with and see what can be done, but I can't make any promises.

952143c473871dd55fc1c6df44cf212a.png

psx to db15,Can I send the HEX file? I don't know how to convert the INI sketch. I can't

Thanks so much for sharing this! I'm looking to use my retrobit 2.4GHz Saturn wireless controller with my HAS, though I'm running into some problems.

I went ahead and ordered the proper parts and the board from oshpark ( https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/yE8DCMIC ).

I'm using a generic USB ISP to burn this hex (from the github repo) using Extreme Burner via the DB15 pins: saturn_controller_demux_RMAF_Retro_Bit_Fix.ino_atmega328p_8000000L.hex

However, I'm testing with a HAS and a Neo Geo MV1B and I'm running into a strange problem. I can enter coins using ABC+Start, but no other controls work correctly. The right/left/up/down jitter randomly, and standard button presses don't seem to work properly. On power on, the LED flashes briefly and then stops. I've also tested holding down A during power up. I've tested with both a standard Saturn controller and the 2.4GHz retrobit adapter; both work with the Saturn adapter I purchased with my HAS.

The components and soldering all look alright (no bridging) and I'm able to write/rewrite the board without any problems. I did notice that pins 2-3 and 3-4 are all connected in some way (they all seem to meet at one end of R2; I don't know if this is the issue?)

I've tried compiling my own using Minicore (I'll add my settings to the post) as well, but no luck. I've also tried burning the same hex files using pi GPIO bitbanging (same results) using avrdude on linux.

Under avrdude, I've tried:

-U lfuse:w:0x62:m -U hfuse:w:0xd9:m -U efuse:w:0xff:m

Also tried:

-U lfuse:w:0xe2:m

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Attachments

• saturn3.png
    saturn3.png
    13.5 KB · Views: 163
  • saturn4.png
    saturn4.png
    22.6 KB · Views: 168
  • saturn5.JPG
    saturn5.JPG
    361.9 KB · Views: 192
  • saturn2.png
    saturn2.png
    32.9 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
Do you have the same problems with both the official Saturn controller and the retro bit wireless controller? If so it could just be a poor connection with the Saturn controller port you are using. The ports on these extension cables don't grip the controller plug very tightly so you have to make sure your controller plugs are clean. Try scrubbing your controller plugs with some rubbing alcohol, or better yet spray some DeOxit on the pins if you have any.

EDIT: it looks like you didn't check the WRITE box for the low fuse on extreme AVR burner, but you said you did try to write it with AVRDUDE. Try writing the fuses again with extreme AVR burner and see if that helps.

That was the first thing I noticed, you don't seem to have checked the WRITE box in the low fuse setting.

Also, once you've programmed it properly, you will need to map the buttons on first use.

If so it could just be a poor connection with the Saturn controller port you are using.
That was it!

It turns out the controller extension I harvested the connector from was just really cheap. I used a pair of watch tweezers to gently lift the connector pins inside the Saturn port just a tiny bit and that solved the problem. Thanks so much for the nudge!

Tested and everything is working on both the standard and Retrobit contollers.

Cheers!

I just wanted to let everyone know that I have finally received a large order of Sega Saturn controller ports, so Saturn to DB15 adapters are available for sale on my website again. It's a small quantity right now because I am running low on PCBs, but I should have a full supply of those within the next two weeks and hopefully I'll be able to keep these in stock for a good long while. I've also added a new black text on white housing option that I think looks sexy as all hell.

EX8l0XgWoAAP3Dc

Thank you and @Frank_fjs so much for open sourcing your work. Minigun and your Multi-console DB15 adapter primarily for MC Cthulhu use is working great. I was having a rough time getting the adapters programmed correctly. Bizarre behavior like the start button mapped to the 'right' input for saturn code. Minicore and selecting the exact chip and variant I used, ATmega328 and 328PB respectively, gave me a proper hex. Thank you so much!

Thanks so much for this project, it is really beautiful converter.
I also want to share my experience during building this project.
1. Firstly, I adopted the 328P Au chip with 16mhz exterior crystal firmware(It was not a virgin chip ).I rewrote the 8mhz firmware with extreme burner(need to wire the capacitor and exterior crystal in this step), then downloaded the program to the chip with mini core/arduino ide. However after connected the pad to my minigun, I found the dpads and buttons sometimes out of control. This problem was solved after changing to a virgin AU chip.(Root cause not be found, maybe fuse setting related.It will be appreciated if someone can save my chip)
2.virgin chip program sequence: extreme burner set low fuse(E2)-〉arduino ide with minocore upload the ino file(set internal crystal 8mhz )

Especially thanks to @Frank_fjs ,who helped me alot during the project.
That was the first thing I noticed, you don't seem to have checked the WRITE box in the low fuse setting.

Also, once you've programmed it properly, you will need to map the buttons on first use.

I've updated my website and added the PlayStation to DB15 adapter for purchase finally. The compatibility list is for controllers is short right now because I don't have many on hand to test with, so if you order one and find that it works with a controller model that I do not currently have listed please let me know so I can update the list.

Order Here! PlayStation to DB15 adapters $24.99 each

Saturn adapters have also been restocked.

I've updated my website and added the PlayStation to DB15 adapter for purchase finally. The compatibility list is for controllers is short right now because I don't have many on hand to test with, so if you order one and find that it works with a controller model that I do not currently have listed please let me know so I can update the list.

Order Here! PlayStation to DB15 adapters $24.99 each

Saturn adapters have also been restocked.
Think you need to edit your descriptive text - currently referring to the Saturn adaptor...

Anyway... 2 down, 10 to go ;)

Back