What's new
It only does cd/dvd emulation right now, but we are hoping the developer will add HDD support. That said if you only want to play disc based games you can buy one and replace your hdd with it.
Sorry I meant CD-R not HDD. Yes I need on of those but not sure if the store is still active. I sent an email to them but didn't get any reply.

Yes, I'm still around 😊 If the website lets you place an order that means there's still stock (and it only places a hold for the money when you order, the charge doesn't go through until it gets packed/ships, so if me or my wife, who does the packing, are both incapacitated then you won't lose your money, the hold will just expire)

When did you send the e-mail? Normally I try to reply, but occasionally they go into spam folders in weird places

Yes, I'm still around 😊 If the website lets you place an order that means there's still stock (and it only places a hold for the money when you order, the charge doesn't go through until it gets packed/ships, so if me or my wife, who does the packing, are both incapacitated then you won't lose your money, the hold will just expire)

When did you send the e-mail? Normally I try to reply, but occasionally they go into spam folders in weird places
PMed you

Just wanted to pop in and say thanks to everyone in this thread and others - I put together a 256 w/ ide emulator and dongle over the last couple months and finally had time tonight to put it all together and test it out. Worked perfectly on first try - which is rare for me :)

Being able to load the hdd games from this would definitely be icing on the cake! Thanks all!
EE5784DE-A3C6-4E5F-A737-9197F06D8910.jpeg

Hi Folks - working on a buddies 246 to try and get the multi all going. He has a Namco 246 Version B:

1182028802.jpg

It works completely fine with the CDROM that it came with and soul calibur 2.

He got all the parts for the multi put together and was getting very strange results, so I am troubleshooting it now at my house. I went back to basics - I just have the ODE plugged in with a SD card with the dvd0d ISO file and the original security dongle. I pulled up a serial terminal to the ODE and it shows the image mounted. I then go into monitor mode on the ODE.

The system boots (3 bells) - and I see (1) unsupported FF command, and then that is it - nothing after that at all. I have tried multiple cables, etc.

I am starting to think maybe the 246 Version B has some weirdness going on where the ODE doesn't work with it, or not consistently?

Matt

Which game are you trying to load? Have you tried different ones?
Maybe @brizzo can give some info about possible causes.

I am starting to think maybe the 246 Version B has some weirdness going on where the ODE doesn't work with it, or not consistently?
I tested the ODE extensively with the 246B and didn't run into any issues that didn't also occur on the 256.

weird suggestion but try leaving the CD drive POWER connected, even if you have to put a splitter on it.

I haven’t tested or setup my 2X6 select yet for the 246B but I do have multiples of them and have tried multiple “compatible” dvd drives on each system. I did have a few weird “discoveries”. What I have noticed is that certain drives will work on one system but it wouldn’t work on another. It would start doing the exact same thing @tacobell would be experiencing with his system and 2X6 setup. I’m not sure if certain systems might have different firmware or slightly different APTI communications. To be specific, the models bundled with SC2 would be the ones that would have this issue.

I tested the ODE extensively with the 246B and didn't run into any issues that didn't also occur on the 256.

weird suggestion but try leaving the CD drive POWER connected, even if you have to put a splitter on it.

thats a good idea - let me try that - maybe it needs to see more draw, or something on the 12v line.

@electric_monk - let me know what you think. I just tried Tekken4 - works fine with the DVD, when I drop the ODE in - I get this in the log:

Attachments

• putty.txt
    4.5 KB · Views: 95
Ahhh Tekken 4. That's one of the few games, together with some driving games, that need a very specific Drive and firmware that supports old legacy commands. That might be your issue. What about the rest of the games? Work well?

Ahhh Tekken 4. That's one of the few games, together with some driving games, that need a very specific Drive and firmware that supports old legacy commands. That might be your issue. What about the rest of the games? Work well?

Just really having issues with this 246B and the ODE - with the physical CDROM it works fine (tekken4, SC2), but when I drop the ISO onto the ODE - that is where I am getting the issues. Almost as if the 246B doesn't recognize the ODE as plugged in or something. In the case of Tekken4 - it gets further along than SC2, but then cycles those errors on the ODE.

Matt

And now I feel like I am just taking crazy pills. I pulled my 246 (revc) out of storage to do testing with that (was working great when I put it in storage), and literally the only game I can get to load is Soul Calibur 3 - all the rest either have a black screen or the blue "boot image wrong" screen.

<sigh>

I think I need to step away for a bit and let the gremlins move to a new house.

Matt

Back