What's new
I'd take a shot at it, just give me some basic direction...
What kinda background/stage are you looking for? Something inspired/stolen from an existing fighting game would be quick/easy.
What are the dimensions in pixels for the image (I'm assuming something slightly larger than display resolution)?

Might be humors to add "hardcore" stages like Mortal Kombat's The Pit... But you know, remove the bloody heads for impaled cupcakes or something. :D

It's really ok. I think the title screen and the couple backgrounds I redid do fit, but they are as close to original style as i could get. The original stage b/g's don't really work, and I think the black looks fine personally.

There is a spectrum here. My goal was to take it from "quirky-unfinished-demo" to "fully-playable-quirky-demo-game". And using all the existing assets, I think it's in a good spot. But with more polish, it actually gets worse I think. Another 2000 hours of work (maybe backgrounds, more moves, blocking, walls?) and i'd just have a "bad-actual-game". Then another 4000 hours to get it back up to "mediocre-actual-game" -- you know, AI for single player, multiple stages, multiple characters, etc. But if it goes past the feeling of being a lighthearted simple goofy demo thingy, I think it loses that charm. Plus there's other projects for me to dig into!

So yeah I think we're pretty much done here. But hey, I have some sharable-ish code if anyone wants it.

On another note, this game prefers Euro bios, and actually doesn't work with Japan bios (well it does but you don't see any of my redone assets). So I have a patch for that if anyone needs it.

Weirdos are already making bootlegs of this.
54E50268-A4BF-4052-9973-77288B052F7E.jpeg

67E70975-456F-49BB-BC8B-63A6A3A18F9E.jpeg

On another note, this game prefers Euro bios,

At least the label of my cart makes that clear
72ED1119-04E6-4D1D-A65A-D12753CB13AC.jpeg

On another note, this game prefers Euro bios, and actually doesn't work with Japan bios (well it does but you don't see any of my redone assets). So I have a patch for that if anyone needs it.
Yes please, as I run everything on Japan BIOS

@ekorz bloody amazing work

Curious about your development environment, do you use Easy68k or?
Thanks!

It's definitely "or" :)

I try to write as little code as possible, so that involves MAME debugger and disassembly notes in a text editor (sublime text fwiw). When I do it right, I understand wtf the twinkle star sprites code did in the first place and can use most/all of that. For example, a whole lot of the hearts-flying-health-stuff amounted to 1) add the palette for the hearts since it's not loaded, 2) set the registers appropriately, 3) jump to 1EA64 and let the TSS code do the hard work!

To make those kinds of simple edits, or add actual new 'code,' I use python mostly (gfx and audio use python for moving bytes around but other tools are involved too). I used to go into a hex editor and just add stuff there by hand, but that got too cumbersome. The program code is byteswapped and bankswapped(?) so adding a NOP '4E 71' at 0x200700 would actually be adding '71 4E' at 0x000700 in the file. Confusing.

@twistedsymphony released a rom tool that has functions for byteswapping, splitting, and concatenating, so that helped me keep things sane so I could just write that kind of edit in a purely straightforward manner e.g. patch( '4E 71',0x200700) and that other bullshit just happens. From there I'm basically writing the opcodes by hand still, and keeping some notes/assembly on the side so I can remember what I did. My script will build a new program file based on the OG rom and my patches, so I can just edit that file and re-run it to build a new P1 rom.

Code:
patch_array.append([
    '3D7C 0101 001C'  #move.w (a6,1c) enable no attacks flag
    '3D7C FFFF 39ee'  #turn on timer at b9ee (a6,39ee)
    '103C 0037     '  #move.b  #$37, D0 ; Sample "LET'S GO"
    '4EB9 0000 2562'  #jsr     $2562.l ; sound subroutine
    '4E75'            #rts
    ,0xD55C0
    ])

What's better than 1.0? That's right!!! 1.01!

Here's a patch that will prevent your bios region from mattering. Unibios, no problem. Hotel bios? ok go for it. No matter what you do, the English title/menu/dialogue will show up and there will only be one credits counter, roughly centered. I typically play with credits counter off (use the soft dips) but if it's there then at least it looks ok.

Do you need to use this? Only if you like to play with non-euro bios. Specifically japan bios since that will prevent any of the modified visuals from being used.
No gameplay has changed.

Instructions:
Build the 1.0 version, then for Mame/Fightcade/etc. patch the 224-p1.p1 file, for the DS Mutli patch the prom file, or for NeoSD patch the Gateau.neo (linked above) with the relevant IPS in this archive. Hit me up if you have any trouble.

Attachments

• 1.01_patch.zip
    120.4 KB · Views: 132
NeoCverA why you did down on me if is the truth? Where's my custom covers in there? Explain to me. I can´t even find this cover too. :(
Maybe the Southdown is busy at the moment for adding many covers.

Last edited:
NeoCverA why you did down on me if is the truth? Where's my custom covers in there? Explain to me. I can´t even find this cover too. :(
I doubt he meant thumbs down to you. More like thumbs down to Southtown ignoring your submissions.

I doubt he meant thumbs down to you. More like thumbs down to Southtown ignoring your submissions.
I don´t know why, the templates are used from there and edited on photoshop. LOL. Anyways, i keep making covers to delight users.

Yeah man, I didnt mean it like that. I'm used to it being more of a reaction but i see here it probably negatively impacts things - sorry.

Back