What's new
The .raw files I posted are extracted CHDs already. Same as img... The file extension doesn't matter.

You might have done it right. After you finish imaging the card using raw hdd copy, it will be readable by a windows machine and will show files. Also true on Linux, after using dd, the card has a mountable partition.

The .raw files I posted are extracted CHDs already. Same as img... The file extension doesn't matter.

You might have done it right. After you finish imaging the card using raw hdd copy, it will be readable by a windows machine and will show files. Also true on Linux, after using dd, the card has a mountable partition.
Thats exactly what I did. I hope it works I bought some cheapo CFs that nam9 said worked for him. He messaged me saying that may have been re-labeled Sandisks CFs

I received my 27c800 eeproms for the mod bios but I can't find it in the list of supported ICs Xgpro. I'm assuming I can use something else. I have the adapter for TL866 programmer for 27c800. Not sure what to select in the Xgpro IC menu and what banks to select on the adpater. Can anyone help this noob? Por Favor!
Xgpro.jpg
eepromadapter.jpg

Last edited:
Instructions here:
https://github.com/mafe72/27c160-tl866-adapter

TL;DR: Split the BIOS file in half using HJSplit. Set the chip type to 27C4096. Program the two 512kb files one at a time, changing the appropriate jumper settings on the adapter between files.

If you run into trouble, I can program the BIOS chip for you for just the cost of shipping.

Reactions: rtw
Instructions here:
https://github.com/mafe72/27c160-tl866-adapter

TL;DR: Split the BIOS file in half using HJSplit. Set the chip type to 27C4096. Program the two 512kb files one at a time, changing the appropriate jumper settings on the adapter between files.

If you run into trouble, I can program the BIOS chip for you for just the cost of shipping.
I did exactly that but I still get an error 000001 and I don't see custom splash with MB 2011.

Sorry for hijacking and bringing this thread up again.
Is there a maximum capacity size for sandisk cf cards? I often see a bunch of sandisk extreme 1-3 with 4 to 64gb for a faire price locally.
I know it's overkill but at the moment they are way more common to find.

I don't know what disc format GNet used, which could be a limiting factor, but prior to 2006 the CF format didn't support above 1GB... so I think you'd be best to stick to cards at or below that size.

of course you're welcome to test and report back what works and doesn't work for you.

Tested yesterday with several cf cards bigger then 1gb. 3 sandisk and 1 cheap brand. None was working, always a system error code.
This confirms the 1gb limit.

Looking for some help:

I have (had) my G-net setup working correctly. I flashed Raycrisis and had no issues. Then I flashed G-Darius, the game loaded, then I get the following error:

"backup data faild, press test sw"

Pressing the test switch does nothing (it works).

Any advice?

EDIT: Just flashed the same card to Psyvariar without issues, then back to G-darius. Same issue. It loads the game, prompts me to make a selection (no inputs do anything) then straight to the error.

EDIT2: tried a few more games, everything seems to work but G-Darius. It's the AMB rom, if that makes any difference. Is there an alternative conversion I can try?

Last edited:
High scores and game settings are stored in the "backup data" EPROM on the main board.

When you swap games, the new game normally "formats" that EPROM so it can save fresh high scores and settings. G-Darius doesn't do that for some reason - but if you go into the Test Menu, you should be able to select either Reset High Scores, or Set Default Values in there, which will resolve the error and get you into the game.

High scores and game settings are stored in the "backup data" EPROM on the main board.

When you swap games, the new game normally "formats" that EPROM so it can save fresh high scores and settings. G-Darius doesn't do that for some reason - but if you go into the Test Menu, you should be able to select either Reset High Scores, or Set Default Values in there, which will resolve the error and get you into the game.
Thanks, that is very good information to have.

So, my next problem... How do I get into the test menu? The cabinet test button (confirmed working with other games) does nothing when I press it. Is there another way to access the test menu?

I've got another game specific error with Chaos Heat.

The game loads, and everything looks good, until there is any type of input. After hitting any button, the game freezes and says "ATA ERROR(7)".

I can't find any information on this error here. Other games flash without issues on this card.

One of "those" issues... Seems to be working fine now. I gave up last night, turned it on to play around in the test menu, and it seems to be working now.

As for G-Darius... I have confirmed the test switch not only works, but works with the G-net board I am using. But I cannot get G-Darius to launch.

One of "those" issues... Seems to be working fine now. I gave up last night, turned it on to play around in the test menu, and it seems to be working now.

As for G-Darius... I have confirmed the test switch not only works, but works with the G-net board I am using. But I cannot get G-Darius to launch.

Try writing G-Darius to a different flash card.

I had the same error "backup data faild, press test sw". Resetting the high score seemed to work as it launches now. Mine does not recognize button inputs on the version launch screen though. It auto boots the original after a few seconds. Plays fine but it would be nice to get into ver 2.

Back