Student
Reaction score
Hi
i received an house of dead 3 with chihiro type 1 inside
At boot i get this screen freeze.
No chihiro logo when launching ...
thx for your help
chihiro pb.jpg

check your voltages. I had a Chihiro that did this and it turns out it was drawing more 5V than my PSU could handle causing a brown-out condition.

I'd say that 5V is already too hot.

2 other common faults
1. capacitors on the mobo needing to be replaced
2. GPU fan has died and the GPU has cooked itself (very common problem and is unrecoverable)

boths fans are running...
Make a first check before posting no cranks...will check again.
Since i received it today no way to know if fans have stopped before.
For a brick board there is also image freeze like this?

i have a working chihiro type 3 can i switch elements to test ?
it seems it flashes rams when you swap ?
i 'd like to put elements from type 3 in type 1 and to know if also i can put type 1 elements in type 3 motherboard without any impacts.
Thx

Last edited:
The GPU is on the lower most part of a chihiro. If it is indeed a cooked GPU the only switchable boards would be the upper video board and the media board. I don't see the point in converting a type 3 to a type 1 with a media board swap(type 1 to type 3 is a different story). Maybe try swapping upper video board on the off chance that's the problem.
Or try switch avip cables but again low chance that's the problem.
More than likely you have a GPU issue and it's the death kiss.
Picture is what I'm referring to as the upper video board as I don't know proper term.

Attachments

• PXL_20231121_134356208.jpg
    PXL_20231121_134356208.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 34
i switch the 2 level of type + dimm board on type 3 and it works...so the motherboard is faulty.
need to recap ?
how to be sure if it's the gpu or bad caps ?
thermic paste has to be changed is it possible or not ?

Check the caps to see if they're intact or if they've leaked onto the board and started dissolving areas of the board and or traces.
Iirc you can't easily remove the heatsink on the GPU to reapply thermal paste without separating it from the main board.

Again,not trying to be a downer, your issue is more than likely a cooked GPU.

Maybe talk to Ken @
www.irepairsega.com.

Check the caps to see if they're intact or if they've leaked onto the board and started dissolving areas of the board and or traces.
Iirc you can't easily remove the heatsink on the GPU to reapply thermal paste without separating it from the main board.

Again,not trying to be a downer, your issue is more than likely a cooked GPU.

Maybe talk to Ken @
www.irepairsega.com.
i talked with Ken, he doesn't have any more the bga machine...
i manage to remove the heatsink of gpu and the one cpu was very easy since i think the thermal paste wasn't glue the heatsink.
so i think the damaged is more around cpu perhaps.
will put new thermal paste...but not confident

Last edited:
look on the underside of the PCB below where the GPU sits and if the PCB is discolored then you know it's likely cooked. that discoloration only happens if it goes over temp for an extended period of time.

Back