What's new

telecommand

Student
Reaction score
I have a type 3 Chihiro that won't boot and it's had a CF conversion done by giz10p. I need to replace the bottom/Xbox board (with the GPU etc) - is it just a matter of swapping it out or would my board have been modified to work with the CF card conversion? Where does the firmware sit exactly?

You can just swap out the bottom board as long as the region is the same. At least that's what I've done before with success.

The region is stored in an eeprom of the base board (that's the upper board) in the bottom case (not the main board).
The firmware that was upgraded for compact flash is in the upper unit.

The region is stored in an eeprom of the base board (that's the upper board) in the bottom case (not the main board).
The firmware that was upgraded for compact flash is in the upper unit.

Fair enough. I've only ever swapped the whole bottom unit.

You can change the region easy enough with a zero-key netboot PIC. You have to press the service button 30 times under System Information in the test menu.

Where are game and system settings stored? Pretty safe to assume the coin battery on the base board keeps system settings stored, but what about game specific settings? Since my HOD3 game is stored on the CF unit, do I still need the separate battery that is normally connected to the media board? E.g. if I want to keep it set to free play after I switch the power off?

HOTD3 is using the base board as well for it's game specific settings and high scores.
OR2SP uses the dimm board memory for it's high scores and game specific settings.

If you have the dimm board lithium battery and it's working, it will start faster as it won't load the game from compact flash to dimm memory every time it's powered. Those 2 lithium batteries will only keep the memory powered for a couple of days. So if you don't turn on the machine for a longer period (giving those batteries time to recharge) every day or couple of days, the batteries will drain and you won't see a difference in startup time anymore.

The battery pack consists out of 2 18650 lithium cells and a small bms board. The third wire is used to measure the battery pack temperature.

Back