What's new
Great to hear!

I still use DVDs with my PS2, but have been thinking about a better solution. Did you research the options to run PS2 games from HDD or SD-card? Is FreeMCBoot the best option out there, or are there also alternatives?
FreeMCBoot is a great and probably the only option for PS2 games. If you have a PS2 Phat, a memory card, network/HDD adapter, a spare HDD laying around, then all you need is the ability to burn a single layer DVD, a small USB flash drive, and away you go. I had it running for years before the HDD took a dive. Was a bit of a challenge to get it running again. For PS1 games on a PS2, it is a challenge and you have to use an emulator or mod chip,. But that is why you use a PS1 for PS1 games and the ODE's available are the best option for PS1 games.

I had some challenges getting the other programs like OPL (Open PS2 Loader) to copy to the memory card, but I found a previous release of FMCB that finally worked. The other challenge is the network/hard drive adapter. The Chinese SATA adapters seem to work only some times. The one I picked up didn't work. Kind of a dice roll if you pick one up. But I have a legit Sony network/HDD adapater and an ATA HDD laying around and that works for sure. I bought the SATA upgrade for it which will be here in a few days and will be using an SSD shortly. I don't want to lose my HDD again.

There is no reason why you shouldn't run FMCB if you have a PS2 Phat. R-Type Final and Gradius V alone are worth the effort and expense to experience on a cab. FMCB is a soft mod. There is no dissection/modificiation of your PS2 needed. The PS2's library is expansive. You'll actually be preserving your PS2 running FMCB as you won't wear down the laser on the DVD drive.

note that with tri sync crt you can force 480p with PS2 and jammazier, note that rgb scart HQ required like:

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk...C-COMPOSITE-SYNC-RGB-SCART-WTH-LIGHT-GUN-PORT

and if you have some console on 1 jammazier you must use multi scart with sync on green.
Just for science, I'll mess with 480p from a PS2 sometime in the future. Will fab my own SCART or VGA cable to achieve it.

Right now, I am enjoying Gradius V at 240p. Sunk a good 3 hours into playing it last night. My PS2 FMCB setup was dead for a good 2 years. I missed playing my PS2 on my cab during all that time :/.

I've heard that OPL can mount SMB shares, I need to get back on trying to get that working, so I can drop the HDD altogether.

This thread is getting derailed a little bit, but just to give my 2c regarding the PS2... I found my ideal setup being retronas paired with a PS2 Slim, running OPL. Compatibility is really good and retronas makes the setup really easy. Beats having a noisy HDD in an already noisy PS2 fat, for me in any case.

This thread is getting derailed a little bit, but just to give my 2c regarding the PS2... I found my ideal setup being retronas paired with a PS2 Slim, running OPL. Compatibility is really good and retronas makes the setup really easy. Beats having a noisy HDD in an already noisy PS2 fat, for me in any case.
Do you have a retronas guide or something handy? I've had issues in the past with SMB not working correctly from OPL. How's the load times using that? IT's a 100mbps connection so it shouldn't be too much different than the HDD itself, but I suppose could be.

This is pretty cool! Appreciate @RealMFnG for getting this out to the community.

Tried this out with a Wii. I wanted to see if I could create a “dedicated” Tatsunoko vs Capcom kit that works with JAMMA. Thought it’d be fun since the arcade version of TvC basically ran on modified Wii hardware:

QpMGHwhl.jpg

However, the latest version of the game, Ultimate All Stars, was only officially released on the Wii and not the arcade. Thought this may be a cool alternative:

IhvmmEJl.jpg

ReaU9KYl.jpg

Works great! It’s able to auto boot into WiiFlow, and I can start up the game with one button. Also works great with Soul Calibur II for the Gamecube (for that Link exclusive)!

The JAMMAizer itself worked great from the box; plug and play. I used the Brook Retro Boards for the controls, and they’re just OK. They sometimes need to be plugged/unplugged when first starting the set up for controls to register. Maybe I’ll try a different solution another time.

Anyway, just for fun, and to see if it worked with some random parts I had. Would ideally need to clean up the wiring; maybe get a PAL Wii so I don’t have to use a SCART converter. To be fair, although the original arcade hardware was also small, it’s wiring also gets a bit messy since it needs an IO and power supply too.

With a softmodded Wii, you can set the region to PAL, then it outputs RGB instead of component. You'll need the PAL ISO too. I've set myself up so that I can fab my own cables to keep them real short for this purpose. This includes SCART cables that are about a foot in length.

Credit goes to Arthrimus. I just had extra parts and was able to produce a few for others. I don't think I am going to be making anymore for a while.

Hi, I'm trying to hack a chinese PS2 controller to the RealMFnG pad hack, but I'm failing miserabily :D
I think I'm missing something, this is how it looks right now. PS2 does not reacts to inputs:
photo_2023-02-25_15-31-30.jpg
photo_2023-02-25_15-31-26.jpg

Any clue to follow up? everything has continuity and the analogs sticks works ok, but connected to the Jammaizer in my cab nothing responds :unsure:

JAMMA doesn't use 3.3v. You'll have to figure out how to properly hack that pad.

Back