What's new

frsj8112

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 3 working A-boards that I've collected through the years and as most of you know, the A-01 chip on these boards are notorious for going bad.
Is there any way of extending the life of the chip?
Would adding low profile heatsinks make them hold up longer?

Common things to do:

Keep voltages steady
Clean any debris
Check PCB filter / bypass capacitors
Check for weak connections before they cause major problem
Don't use the best PCB for testing unknowns, test with a partial faulty first with a GFX problem you already know to verify it won't make things worse.

I think that heat is not the main problem. They barely heat up during operation.
I believe that these custom chips are especially sensitive to internal corrosion, therefore what I do is store the pcb with bubble wrap well sealed in a box with mini silica bag.

I also try to discharge static charge from my body before manipulating any pcb, not especially cps1. That is specially bad for mask roms and custom chips.
I usually touch earth pins on the wall outlets previous to take any Pcb :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I have 3 working A-boards that I've collected through the years and as most of you know, the A-01 chip on these boards are notorious for going bad.
Is there any way of extending the life of the chip?
Would adding low profile heatsinks make them hold up longer?
First, do you believe in God?

Even if you take more of security pattern, it can blow from nothing. The only hope is FPGA.

Back