What's new
Just replying to myself to say that I'm also not going to be selling these unless there's a specific OK to do so. I've already had someone hitting me up on ebay for them, and I have no interest in making things harder for people who make multis.
Thanks. PLEASE let me recoup the cost of parts and machining I've been doing to try to get everything ready for you guys in one easy place.

Wow.
Could you show a little video of this machine while it's working?
I'm really curious to see what it does and which way.
:)
Sure. I already plan to redo their English manual and video since they are zero help to actual English speakers and cover almost nothing about adjusting the machine.

I was aware of the dual clock/crystal mod, but the audio out... Is this to support CPS1/JAMMA audio via multi RCAs?
Derick2k designed these two. I was able to test and confirm the dual clock but I couldn't confirm the audio out pcb since my proto isn't the final sound design. He will receive a final version and can quickly test his audio pcb. These two things will require installation by a skilled solderman.

We were also researching changing to smd crystals for the dual crystal but I'm not sure what Erick has decided. Maybe he can comment further on that.

What's the calibration procedure like when changing out blades to an entirely different connector type for one of those machines (assuming AWG and strip length remains the same)? Something you can do on the fly or a ~process~?
If you are REALLY good and patient you can change just the blades for the top and bottom and adjust it yourself.

However, the entire bottom assembly removes from the machine so it's actually better to buy another bottom part already configured to the other connector type and just swap it out as needed. It costs less than $200 for the entire assembly. Assuming you are crimping a shit ton of stuff like Lemony and I it is very worth it.

For those of us building our own cables for the filterboard, do they cross over or pass through? For example using the NH connector numbering, does the wire go from position 1 on one end of the harness to position 1 on the other?
10 goes to 10. 1 goes to 1. Etc.

Thanks. PLEASE let me recoup the cost of parts and machining I've been doing to try to get everything ready for you guys in one easy place.

Sure. I already plan to redo their English manual and video since they are zero help to actual English speakers and cover almost nothing about adjusting the machine.

Derick2k designed these two. I was able to test and confirm the dual clock but I couldn't confirm the audio out pcb since my proto isn't the final sound design. He will receive a final version and can quickly test his audio pcb. These two things will require installation by a skilled solderman.

We were also researching changing to smd crystals for the dual crystal but I'm not sure what Erick has decided. Maybe he can comment further on that.
Yes, please guys let Mitsu recover some. Its not just parts/tools, etc.. its also the time invested.

I wanna see that machine at work lol, I might just invest in one, will wait for you to show it off first :D

The audio PCB should work just fine, as it's a tested design I have used in the past. It's what I consider "audiophile grade" for the multi.

The dual crystal PCB uses the crystal type/footprint capcom used as I wanted to keep it just like the original, but that doesn't mean we can't go with compatible SMD versions.
I have sent all the files, PCBs, and parts for these to Darksoft to test and improve/reshape as needed. I'm 100% confident the designs are sound and will work since you have tested the dual crystal and I have tested the audio one. But, I will test it out on the final version of the multi which is on its way.

I hope you guys enjoy these 2 addons for the multi :thumbsup:

I just got an update from USPS. Although it never left Minnesota (according to tracking information)...

My multi is now in my home state of New Jersey and has departed the Regional Sort Facility.

I'm looking forward to getting it soon, but I am even more relieved that it is not lost in the USPS network. That would have been a huge headache for me and High Score Saves.

I read the manual this afternoon. Thanks to @Darksoft, @twistedsymphony, and @djsheep for putting all that information together. It clarified many things I've been wondering about.

It also raised a question for me, regarding the ROMs that will work on the multi.

From the manual:

NOTE: We don’t load the usual audio files but instead (z80.08 and qsound.07). These 2 files are rearranged using a script, so existing ROM sets from MAME, will not work!

If MAME ROMs won't work, how could someone go about assembling a ROM on their own?

I was under the impression that the MAME ROMs contents were what was running on the real CPS boards (maybe they are?).

I have not messed around with any real CAPCOM PCBs, but I have repaired several other PCBs using MAME ROMs. That's what lead me to believe the above.

Where do the z80 and qsound ROMs come from? How can I (or anyone else) create those ROMs?

Yes, please guys let Mitsu recover some. Its not just parts/tools, etc.. its also the time invested.

I wanna see that machine at work lol, I might just invest in one, will wait for you to show it off first :D

The audio PCB should work just fine, as it's a tested design I have used in the past. It's what I consider "audiophile grade" for the multi.

The dual crystal PCB uses the crystal type/footprint capcom used as I wanted to keep it just like the original, but that doesn't mean we can't go with compatible SMD versions.
I have sent all the files, PCBs, and parts for these to Darksoft to test and improve/reshape as needed. I'm 100% confident the designs are sound and will work since you have tested the dual crystal and I have tested the audio one. But, I will test it out on the final version of the multi which is on its way.

I hope you guys enjoy these 2 addons for the multi :thumbsup:
Would prefer though-hole wherever possible for installations on these aux pcb's. :D

I am curious if I should have received a tracking number by now. I ordered through highscoresaves but I don't believe I registered so I only have PayPal details and can't track anything.

Asking because I changed my username here and I was much higher on the "list" than @GeorgeSpinner and placed my order same day it was announced as available, so wondering if I fell through the cracks or something.

Didn't want to be a pest and email HSS, but I think I will.

4DAB14B5-78DC-446D-87F0-454015223283.jpeg
Got my kick extension made up :)

Would prefer though-hole wherever possible for installations on these aux pcb's. :D
I just made the design and a simple/as small as possible test pcb. Darksoft will be able to shape it into what fits the multi the best. Or who knows, go with a completely different design/circuit.

But my smd Mitsu meant the addon pcb components themselves are smd. The desing is not yet finalized but you know they try to make it as easy as possible.

My hope for the dual crystal is to be able to use smd crystals because then I can assemble 20 or so at a time in my smd oven. Installation will require desoldering the current through-hole crystal and soldering this pcb in place. I tried using a socket of sorts but since it only has 4 pins it doesn't hold tightly.

When you remove the current crystal you can actually see where they designed it to use different packages of the crystal.

20220401_070805.jpg

Last edited:
Also, for the record from a convo above, none of DS multis load MAME roms directly. They all are rearranged to fit the flashes. All modern multis and flash carts that use modern flash must do this at some point. Some do it on the fly while flashing the game and some, like every DS kit require it be done ahead of time. I like it because it leads to standardized packs. It's much easier to troubleshoot when everyone is using the same ammo.

I am curious if I should have received a tracking number by now. I ordered through highscoresaves but I don't believe I registered so I only have PayPal details and can't track anything.

Asking because I changed my username here and I was much higher on the "list" than @GeorgeSpinner and placed my order same day it was announced as available, so wondering if I fell through the cracks or something.

Didn't want to be a pest and email HSS, but I think I will.
Exact same situation for me too. I went ahead and sent them a message later in the day yesterday. Haven't heard back yet but I can post if anything comes up. I was just asking if they had shipped because I'd rather get the tracking ASAP because I don't like the idea of such an expensive item just sitting in my mailbox without me knowing ahead of time. People aren't afraid to help themselves to others belongings around here from time to time so I do my best to be careful.

Exact same situation for me too. I went ahead and sent them a message later in the day yesterday. Haven't heard back yet but I can post if anything comes up. I was just asking if they had shipped because I'd rather get the tracking ASAP because I don't like the idea of such an expensive item just sitting in my mailbox without me knowing ahead of time. People aren't afraid to help themselves to others belongings around here from time to time so I do my best to be careful.
It would be nice if @HighScoreSaves would respond here and explain the schedule for how they are sending out the orders.

Any word on when the program to allow us to load ROMS onto this thing will be made available? Granted, I have a lot of other things I need to make this kit work so won't get to use it right away, but I was just wondering if this is expected this week, next week, next month, next year? :)

Back