What's new
If you have key writing, get 'Darksoft CPS2 2020-05-24.7z'

If you don't have key writing, get 'Darksoft CPS2 OLD Decrypted.7z'

Do these packs include same games?
If not, is there a list of differencies (I tried to make a fast compare by file listings, it looks like there are some differencies, but not sure if only differently named...)?

Asking because the key writing cable was not available in stock when I ordered two CPS2 multi kits. And now I don't have the cables... If cable is preferred to have, can someone please tell me a source for good quality cable (I have type 6 and 7 PCBs, so the connector in PCB is already present).

@stt1 i can hook you (or anyone) up with professionally factory crimped key writing cables. Just PM me :)

Hmmm, having issues with the keywriting cable, I bought the one provided by HighScoreSaves, and have it snapping snuggly into both the multi kit and b-board connectors, yet no luck botting encrypted roms. decrypted is working fine, but puzzled on why keywriting would be failing.

If you post a picture of your setup and specially of the section with the wires, that would help to identify the problem.
This is the correct wiring orientation, right?

Attachments

• IMG_20211021_173356.jpg
    IMG_20211021_173356.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 103
Hi all, new to the forum but I’ve just received my darksoft kit from saveyourgames.it, including SD card from them

I’ve installed onto a previously 100% working Xmen v SF rev 7 b board with battery removed, exc5 shorted to clear, DuPont wires connecting key writing & the Darksoft 2020 encrypted rpm pack. I’ve had a variety of issues when I came to test for the first time

At first I tried to load AvP, I was getting a red screen. I tried reseating everything and tried again, black screen. I tried loading D&D and this sort of worked, but without sprites and messed up controls

I tried a few times to reseat everything, eventually pulling all and starting again and trying with the decrypted rom pack. I’ve tried different games and I’m getting various issues now:

Black screen on some games
Object RAM NG (SFII X Freeplay)
Garble on others

Everything seemed seated correctly, no bends or damage etc. I’ve tried another a board and same issues

I’ve read this thread and can’t find anything and I’m actively reading as many threads of possible but thought I’d post in the meantime, any assistance would be great

Hi, thanks for the reply

SD card was supplied by supplier of board, it’s not with me currently but I think it’s a transcend 8gb SDHC, I’ll get to check shortly - *edit* It’s a class 10 SDHC 8gb by transcend

I removed everything as per the new version of the manual

I’m currently going through that thread but it’s quite large so I thought I’d reach out in the meantime
8D4A59DF-840B-45EB-8C9F-5BEEBDCA53FF.jpeg
C23FC28D-57FC-4A55-8132-607B680ABCCF.jpeg
72F225E7-5351-4AFD-8FF2-2A76658FEA41.jpeg
9922F83E-282B-4E3F-B039-FC0C044F9CF1.jpeg
36DAD2E0-5C3E-41C8-B266-7EA8C207F7C6.jpeg
47D168EA-65CC-430B-A73F-85164D18B7C5.jpeg
D0DF831D-E4BD-4157-B26A-17EA796718BC.jpeg
6392CAFF-D230-49A6-9CA9-305A68D2182D.jpeg

Last edited:
Best try try install the old game back and see what you get. Or better yet burn the decrypted ROMs for the same game you’re loading. You may have been unlucky and it just died during the install? Hopefully not.

Its also possible that some games don't use the full ram or don't do checks so you don't know that a chip is bad until you change to a bigger more demanding game.

I’ll try a couple of smaller things first like different sd card and a gpal (if anyone could look t me to a place to buy one uk?)

If the worst comes to it and the ram is dead is this something that I can change out and if so could someone point me in the direction of replacements?

Is there a big dent in that ribbon cable? Should not cause described problem though...

Did you already try this: after loading the game when the display says "Now playing:" turn off the power and turn the power back on. Do you still have black screen or garbage on screen?

I recently installed two kits and I have to do the power off/on procedure every time after loading that the game really starts up (after loading the screen is halted and with garbage). Either this is normal operation (installation guide really does not tell how this should normally operate) or then it's caused by missing key writing cables.

Is there a big dent in that ribbon cable? Should not cause described problem though...

Did you already try this: after loading the game when the display says "Now playing:" turn off the power and turn the power back on. Do you still have black screen or garbage on screen?

I recently installed two kits and I have to do the power off/on procedure every time after loading that the game really starts up (after loading the screen is halted and with garbage). Either this is normal operation (installation guide really does not tell how this should normally operate) or then it's caused by missing key writing cables.
Hi, I didn’t notice the ribbon cable but it’s straight out of the shipping box, I’ve just been and had a look and it is dimpled quite badly

I’ve tried with the key writing/reset cable and without and no joy

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 105
Once the game is selected you don't need the LCD plugged. Try loading a game and power the LCD off. See if that changes anything.

I’ve got a rev 4 phoenixed board, going to try the multi on that (without soldering initially)

Well, it must be a b board issue on that rev 7 xvsf board because it’s working like a charm (minus the auto reboot) on my rev 4 b board

I've seen it a few times where a B-board will play one game fine but not the multi because the B-board has a fault that doesn't affect a certain game. There is a chance the ram is good but the trace connecting the ram to the multi through the connector is compromised.

^ somewhat related, I had this happen recently on 1, (maybe even 2) Jaleco Mega System 1 boards. Issues won’t present themselves unless you’ve tested and maxed out every possible option or component on any board.

It’s like if you’ve never used the timer function on a microwave and one day years later you choose to and realise it doesn’t work. Microwave still “worked” ok :)

Back