What's new

pixelvsprintdot

Student
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I wanted to ask if anyone has an idea about what might be these graphical errors with my CPS2 stuff:
  • I have my boards connected to the supergun and running at 5V
  • I cleaned the Jamma edge with DeOxit
  • the A board looks like it's in perfect condition, but I know that doesn't really mean it is LOL
  • I pressed the A & B together as hard as I could even though I'm using the original clips
  • I still get these errors even when running the B board with no shell for a super tight fit.
  • the errors are not consistent, they don't always happen in the same spots when testing the same intro scenes.
I get these errors with all my A boards and all my games to some extent.

is it a power draw thing, should I be below or above 5v?

please ignore the ghosting, that is because of my screen I think.

Edit with more info/context

So I had the same issues with a crappy cheapy supergun that had a lower laptop trick for a power supply. It was however happing a lot more in that supergun crappy supergun. That’s why I thought it might be a power issue?

I can’t consistently replicate the errors. I have 4 A boards and maybe 6 B boards and I think I tested each B on each A with the caca supergun and always got errors . But I heven’t tested all of them on this new HAS supergun.

I have a MVS (MV1C) with a samurai showdown 2 cart and it doesn't have these visual errors. Update, my MVS actually does have the same type of visual errors both the crappy supergun and the HAS. =(

MAYBE the TV I'm using ( sony ps 3d tv) doesn't like the supergun's vid signal?

IMG_8103.jpgIMG_8105.jpgScreen-Shot-2023-05-22-at-5.59.25-PM.jpgScreen-Shot-2023-05-22-at-6.00.25-PM.jpgScreen-Shot-2023-05-22-at-6.01.33-PM.jpgScreen-Shot-2023-05-22-at-6.01.44-PM.jpgScreen-Shot-2023-05-22-at-6.02.46-PM.jpgScreen-Shot-2023-05-22-at-6.04.05-PM.jpgScreen-Shot-2023-05-22-at-6.04.28-PM.jpg

Last edited:
How many A boards and how many B boards have you tested with?

Have you tried a different monitor, supergun, etc?

5V should be at 5.00V when tested at chips in the middle of the B board which are theoretically the furthest from the power source. Chips nearer the jamma connector on the A board might test slightly higher, but should not exceed 5.10V (closer to right at 5.00V is best).

How many A boards and how many B boards have you tested with?

Have you tried a different monitor, supergun, etc?

5V should be at 5.00V when tested at chips in the middle of the B board which are theoretically the furthest from the power source. Chips nearer the jamma connector on the A board might test slightly higher, but should not exceed 5.10V (closer to right at 5.00V is best).
So I had the same issues with a crappy cheapy supergun that had like a lower laptop trick for a power supply . It was however happing a lot more in that supergun crappy supergun. That’s why I thought it might be a power issue?

So I can’t consistently replicate the errors. I have 4 A boards and maybe 6 B boards and I think I tested each B on each A with the caca supergun and always got errors . But I heven’t tested all of them on this new HAS supergun.

Sorry , I don’t understand what testing 5v on the chip means ? Is it taking a multi meter and touching it to the chips on the board while it’s running?

I feel like the errors happen less when I’m pressing the boards together and maybe is a connection issue ????!?

Woujd it we safe to spray DeOxit on the A board connected pins and down the B boards connector holes ?

438B9712-0CFD-47AA-BAB3-C2C05208E41D.jpeg

Sorry , I don’t understand what testing 5v on the chip means ? Is it taking a multi meter and touching it to the chips on the board while it’s running?
Yes using a multimeter to test voltage on the vcc pin of one or more of the chips.

I think I have narrowed the issue down to the Sony Playstation TV not liking the video resolution of CPS2 and MVS games.

supergun A is a HAS using a retro tink SCART to component converter to connect to the TV

supergun B ( the craaaaaapy one) is using a HD retrovision genesis component cable to connect to the TV

both have the same types of visual errors on the Sony PS 3d TV.

I don’t really know much about this sort of stuff but I’m thinking the Sony PS 3d tv just doesn’t like the vid signal at that res .

According to the tv, its displaying the supergun video at 720x240

I have tried plugging both supergun set ups to other component TVs , none have the errors , but also are lower refresh rates and are doing old school tv up scaling funny business so…

JUST to see if it made a difference, I bought this super low-end Scart to HDMI box, with this, on the Sony ps 3d TV, the errors aren’t happening.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MUNIVRO?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I know its its stupid but the PS tv actually have a really clean picture aside from the errors, so I really was hoping I could fix the issue but maybe not.

Back