What's new
Very interested. As I posted before I made my own years ago using ABS plastic and a hole bit:

ZyeAJyK.jpg

While it works and is non-offensive to look at, your solution is very professional!

I would be interested in a Red and Black one to match my cabinet. However I wouldn't be able to make a commitment to purchase until the new year, I already have a load of projects on my plate like restoring my new Sega Aero City... So what is the cut off date?

Few questions:

1. Can you make the words say anything or are we currently limited to the PC, PS4, no words variants? I primarily use my cabinet as a PS4/MAME cabinet. The Service and Test names are not really used for me. The PS4 one is perfect but the MAME cabinet I would like something more akin to "Coin, Back/Quit/Exit, and one other". The back button is used to navigate the hyperspin/launchbox type menus and quit out of games. If you can make the words say anything then I would have to give thought to some naming conventions for the buttons to make sense for both platforms.
  2. What do people primarily use the USB's for?

Mine just showed up. They look excellent in person. Still need to buy the stuff to populate it, but very excited.

@Kavas Thanks. There is no cut off date. I do have non label panels available.
Personally I use the usb to plug my headphone and controller into.

@rewrite awesome, that was fast.

Ordered another module from Amazon so maybe this one will fit. As a backup I looked through some datasheets and *think* that PDB182‍‐E218K‍‐503B from Bourns could be a match, so I ordered one of those too. I wish it was Audio taper but I can live without that.

Ordered another module from Amazon so maybe this one will fit. As a backup I looked through some datasheets and *think* that PDB182‍‐E218K‍‐503B from Bourns could be a match, so I ordered one of those too. I wish it was Audio taper but I can live without that.
maybe @Blue_Fox can chime in on the module he grabbed.

maybe @Blue_Fox can chime in on the module he grabbed.
My Potentiometer was about 1-2 mm too short to screw in. Instead of buying a new one, I ended up counter sinking the hole on both sides until I could fit the nut on. After that everything screwed in perfectly.

My Potentiometer was about 1-2 mm too short to screw in. Instead of buying a new one, I ended up counter sinking the hole on both sides until I could fit the nut on. After that everything screwed in perfectly.
That's my plan b, but I wasn't sure I had a good bit for the acrylic. Digikey order should arrive soon, so I'll chime in if I find the right part.

Maybe I’ll hunt down a longer part on digikey and swap it in, but I’d be careful ordering from that link. Maybe some other folks had better luck?
I received the same one as you. :(

Threads don't even peek out over the top of the plexi at all.

The shaft measures at 18mm. https://ibb.co/gPzpsRx
The thread itself is 9.62mm. https://ibb.co/J7RkST0
Is it normal for amazon supplier to change their product?
Im going to order from another supplier and hope for the best.
Ill remove the link until the proper volume controller is found.
Thanks for the measurements. the digikey product i ordered was 18mm shaft with 6.5mm top, which presumably means the threadding takes up a lot of the remainder. It was the only shaft style with a usable proportion from Bourns. So I figure either it's right, or the pot isn't from this company.

K6y1N9d_d.jpg

As far as suppliers, a lot of cheap electronics are just clones using the same cases. The insides could be totally different. That's actually why I wonder if it's even a Bourns potentiometer, since if they could have found a cheaper one they probably would have!

Mine is the same overall length, but the threading is much shorter.

so basically, i should probably hold off on buying a volume controller til someone verifies what currently fits?

Got mine today and had already ordered the volume stuff from the first link. I carefully modified the hole with a step drill bit to half drill though so that the nut sits in the panel but does not fall through

vsp1.jpg

vsp2.jpg

vsp3.jpg

vsp4.jpg

Works great but I need some White buttons to match now :)

Thanks for making these @jermz1

hoPlYhk_d.jpg

PDB182‍‐E218K‍‐50 is not it. @jermz1 let’s narrow it down if we can... does the pot have a detent in it (and how many) or does it turn smooth? What’s the width dimension? Any other markings on yours? BOURNS has a B indented into the metal

@'ekorz' theres no markings around/on the metal. There is nothing sticking out preventing it from being flush with the panel. It does turn smooth. I dont think it has a detent in it.
20191223-191105.jpg
20191223-192147.jpg

@Brettster looks good bro!

Attachments

• 20191223-191027.jpg
    20191223-191027.jpg
    690.9 KB · Views: 228
  • 20191223-191056.jpg
    20191223-191056.jpg
    789.6 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:
Last edited:
@VxD I think one has a blend audio taper, so one channel gets louder or softer compared to the other. It’s meant for a guitar, and mono audio from two sources basically.

I shot a note to the axxes part supplier to see if they could point me to the pot mfg, but I am not hopeful. So far nothing seems to fit the bill. I also want an audio taper anyway so I ordered a couple candidates and I expect to drill out a hole to make em fit. Small sacrifice!

maybe someone else has better search-fu but I’m not turning anything up.

@VxD I think one has a blend audio taper, so one channel gets louder or softer compared to the other. It’s meant for a guitar, and mono audio from two sources basically.
Argh, yes, you are right. Thanks for pointing this out!

Since this specific potentiometer is so hard to source, I wonder if we could use a different approach such as a spin-lock nut mounted in reverse:
https://www.clipsandfasteners.com/M6-1-0-Metric-Spin-Lock-Nuts-With-Serrations-17mm-p/a14855.htm

For now, I went ahead and ordered a different volume controller from Amazon Japan. I will iterate from there.

Back