What's new
already quoted by Neo-Alec ->

We're now actually way too far in the development to work with a pixel artist - and we have no budget for a pro anyway. We have nearly completed the assets; all from royalty free material and the labour of our caulks.

another game developed with a lot of love and having a lot of fun making it :)

yep a super limited run has been done early this year for the ppl who wanted to support us and get their hands on a cart + kit and other goodies...
you can also support our work by making a donation while downloading the rom but it's not mandatory ofc (name your price)

Yeah except TEoT was drawn by pixel artists from the 90s.... these guys just repackaged it for modern sale. Nothing wrong with that at all, but there is your difference in the appearance.
Yes, TEoT used existing art assets. This is a new challenge making art for their original work.

Yes, TEoT used existing art assets. This is a new challenge making art for their original work.
I'm not saying it isn't.

Look, I don't want to argue about this, I wish this team the BEST of luck and if the game is fun at the end, they will get MY money! Currently, I'm personally not a fan of the pixel art. I don't care how hard or expensive it is to make a game, I don't make games. I just have an opinion on the style and no one should change their opinion just because I have one.

I'll wait and see how the game is. If it ends up fun, I'll get it. Same story as Final Vendetta, GREAT game, shit pixel art! I still bought it (PS4) and will get the AES when it comes out!

Hello there

Good to see some talk going about the game :) I thought I'd join the forum and chime in :)

Was "The Eye of Typhoon" not sold in the end for 400 AES and 300 MVS?

You are correct. We sold a first batch of carts for little to no profit to friends from the French forum Neo Geo System. Then, as there was demand we did a second batch of carts, still in very limited quantities, and at the price you mentioned. We may do another one in the future, but it's a bit of a grey area and can only be exceptional.
The rom is however still available for free online from our itch page, and you can play it on fightcade for example.

The final pricing of the AES / MVS release will show what kind of project this is.

Cyborg Force is a commercial project. We don't have the details for the final pricing of the cart release, but you can expect it to be the usual affair - too expensive :D It can't be otherwise, I'm afraid.
With this project we want to see if we can make something that is both economically viable and not a pisstake (though that will be left to everyone's appeciation :D). We'll try to pull as many strings as we can in order not to pull a single one too hard, like the "AES collector" one for example ;)
We have the little experience gained from our previous project and a plan that we're going to put to the test. :)
Wish us luck, we're not relying on it, but it certainly can't hurt!

Yeah except TEoT was drawn by pixel artists from the 90s.... these guys just repackaged it for modern sale. Nothing wrong with that at all, but there is your difference in the appearance.
Uh, OK if you say so. Then why the drop in art style for the new game?

I think Ozzy wasn't reacting to your statement about the pixel art, but to the "just repackaged for modern sale" part. From your other messages, I see you didn't mean to be unpleasant, but... That expression is just shockingly far from the truth :)
Even without doing the graphics and the music, developping a game for the neo geo still represents thousands of hours of work. I promise I'm not being poetic about it. It's not because a truck dropped a load of bricks on your lot that you have your house made.

The main visual improvement we did with our version of TEOT was in presentation and animation, we did few additions and changes to the pixel art itself - but we have by no means the competence (or the budget) to produce the original assets made by Viccom in the 90's, that's for sure.

For Cyborg Force, we are indeed using assets that were not made for "real" retro, they were intended for modern systems & displays, and I believe that in order to achieve a 16bit look, the pixel artist who did most of the ingame sprites & backgrounds indeed used the Megadrive palette as a reference. Hence that look, that is somewhat caricatural but should actually look fine on a CRT... And on the flat screens they were initially made for.
We're aware we're not going to win a beauty contest here, but we hope players will still find the game enjoyable.

I'm not saying it isn't.

Look, I don't want to argue about this, I wish this team the BEST of luck and if the game is fun at the end, they will get MY money! Currently, I'm personally not a fan of the pixel art. I don't care how hard or expensive it is to make a game, I don't make games. I just have an opinion on the style and no one should change their opinion just because I have one.

I'll wait and see how the game is. If it ends up fun, I'll get it. Same story as Final Vendetta, GREAT game, shit pixel art! I still bought it (PS4) and will get the AES when it comes out!

Thanks for keeping your eyes & mind open buddy. :thumbup:

Cheers

Hey there

Here's an update on the development - no video this time but info that you might still find useful :)

The game is now officially at Beta stage - that means it’s now complete, playable from beginning to end, and tuned up - but it still needs all the tests and associated adjustments required before release.
So we can now give you the following elements, as they shouldn’t be subject to change at this point:
  • the game is split into 5 levels, divided into 3 parts (2 sub-levels + 1 boss); completing it in one shot takes about half an hour.
  • it is definitely and uncompromising designed as an early 1990s arcade game. So while all the levels were designed to be clearable without taking damage, it is neither immediate nor easy. And playing through all of them in a 1CC perspective is the challenge it is supposed to be. We haven’t forgotten scoring, with a simple yet efficient system.
  • you can deal death with 10 different weapons that all have specific properties associated to the game system; they differ in terms of rate of fire, area of effect, and ability to damage and fire through enemies (depending on whether they’re made of flesh or metal), or punch through environment elements (walls or platforms).
The first feedback received from our testers regarding gameplay (and difficulty) is quite positive as it corresponds exactly to what we wanted to achieve.
We realize that the video capture didn’t do us any favour as many were surprised (positively) by the game’s responsiveness and speed. They found it faster and more difficult than what they expected. The rest is still ongoing and in the eye of the beholder. To us, the result is beyond our expectations; to you, well, we’ll do our best to keep posting content so you can appreciate what the game has to offer as precisely as possible before preorders start.

Regarding the physical side of things, we’ll be handling it ourselves, probably with the same partners as with TEOT and we want it to be at least as good of course.

From discord :

imgp2219.jpg

Update time!

The last video we showed had slowdown because of the capture, so I decided we'd show the exact same area running on the real hardware (=my AES via NeoSD)

So the flip side is that this time the visual quality is poor and you can hardly hear the audio :P
But I thought you'd rather see the game running on the real thing than on MAME or a Mister.

Also, I thought I'd throw in a preview of the arcade flyer for good measure :)

flyers10.jpg

Hey all :)

Big update, on all fronts.
The game itself is close to completion and within a couple of weeks of we’ll be sending the rom for cart prototyping. We’ll be posting another gameplay video next month to show you as well as we can how the game looks and sounds on the Neo Geo (be it on the real hardware, FPGA or emulation).
Once the rom passes the final stage of tests and we have secured all the details related to the production, we will start the pre-order campaign, which you can expect in September or October.
On the physical side of things, we can now share what the AES/MVS will look like (more or less, as it’s still WIP). Some peeps have requested a collector’s edition - so we’ve got this alternate “Jesus Mk II” cover art that will be exclusive to the pre-order campaign, both in JP and US versions..

plenty of pics in spoiler
insert16.jpg

insert17.jpg

insert19.jpg

insert18.jpg

aes-jp10.jpg

aes-us10.jpg

aes-jp11.jpg

aes-us11.jpg

kitmvs10.jpg

We’re also introducing an edition intended to the emulation crowd who don’t have the original hardware, yet want to get some shiny stuff for their cab, their shelf, or any guilty pleasure they may have. This “ROMstick” or “mini-MVS” edition will contain a complete MVS kit and a boxed custom-printed USB key containing the rom files to load on their favourite device (emulators, NeoSD & Darksoft flashcarts, MiSTer…)

More pics of the thing in the next spoiler

minimv10.jpg

minimv11.jpg

minimv13.jpg

minimv14.jpg

minimv15.jpg

PC and retro-system ports (DC, PSP…) should follow.

I hope you like what you see!

Is your snap case going to have the SNK logo (it does in your mark-up). If so, even better!

Unfortunately... Normally no, we have ordered non-branded snap cases to avoid any confusion :)
No problem, maybe update your picture to avoid any heartburn about it. I don't mind a generic, as long as it's a good snap case with updated quality on the hinge!

No problem, maybe update your picture to avoid any heartburn about it. I don't mind a generic, as long as it's a good snap case with updated quality on the hinge!

Sure, we'll show updated pics once this part is confirmed. The branded box sample we got does have a more resistant hinge than those that were marketed a few years back :)

The sound effects are really all awful... hopefully they're just placeholders?

Last edited:
Back