What's new
sprite and artworks could be more polished but gameplay reminds me a lot of contra than metal slug

New vidéo :

Beta (understand not final) of AES :

test110.jpg

test310.jpg

test210.jpg

I'm still not a fan of the in game pixel art. It's interesting because all the menus and other art look great, in game though? Hmmm.

I hate to say it, but they need to revamp it a bit. It just looks to flat, and sound effects are a bit annoying.

I actually think it looks like an old Amiga game, but not in a good way.

Here's hoping a lot of polish coming to this one.

Last edited:
i am glad that I am not the only one who think that pixel art need to be overhauled.
It looks like a mix bag of good illustration style with some what amateurish pixel art... it's all over the place and not in a good way

I'm still not a fan of the in game pixel art. It's interesting because all the menus and other art look great, in game though? Hmmm.

I hate to say it, but they need to revamp it a bit. It just looks to flat, and sound effects are a bit annoying.

I actually think it looks like an old Amiga game, but not in a good way.

Here's hoping a lot of polish coming to this one.
Seems like everyone's a pixel art critic these days. I actually don't have enough of an eye for art in general to say whether it's awful or not. I think it's best to just look at this as a low-budget indie project doing things on its own terms

I like this quote Johnny16Bit left on the neo-geo.com forums:
We're now actually way too far in the development to work with a pixel artist - and we have no budget for a pro anyway. We have nearly completed the assets; all from royalty free material and the labour of our caulks.

So in the team's defense, I like their rag tag underdog style. I won't expect something rivaling a release from a major developer, and as long as the artwork doesn't undermine the experience I'll judge it by its gameplay.

To be honest, lots of pixel artists on twitter that I know who are very passionate about arcade and indie dev would gladly to help out with the sprites.
I dont expect them to work for free but I am pretty sure they dont ask for tons of money from an indie dev project either.
At the end of the day, it's passion project for both sides and I think they can recruit good pixel artists for their game.
this game has lots of potentials and I do hope they can still improve the sprites before the final release

You should pay for good work, but yeah, as a passion project that can be difficult. The problem is, if they make it into AES or MVS carts, I bet they don't sell it at a passion project price.

They should have found someone who was willing to do it for a piece of the final profit, then they could avoid upfront costs.

Regardless, it's EASY to throw stones from a cave I've never left, so I'll just say, this is cool that they are doing it, and if the final product is fun, at least they will get some money from me for a ROM, if not a lot of money for a cart.

It's the same team as The Eye of Typhoon Tsunami Edition, which was 'name your price' or pay a lot for a physical version. They've been giving their work away for free.

It's the same team as The Eye of Typhoon Tsunami Edition, which was 'name your price' or pay a lot for a physical version. They've been giving their work away for free.
Yeah except TEoT was drawn by pixel artists from the 90s.... these guys just repackaged it for modern sale. Nothing wrong with that at all, but there is your difference in the appearance.

Yeah except TEoT was drawn by pixel artists from the 90s.... these guys just repackaged it for modern sale. Nothing wrong with that at all, but there is your difference in the appearance.
u don't know what ur talkin about dude... Teot [Tsunami / Saiki] is true love and the game has been enhanced beyond recognition using original assets.. in other words it's a completely different game available for FREE... the 'repackaging' for modern sale as u said rather came from Viccom coming back from ashes (at the right and funny moment, how weird is that? ^^ ) with a 30rd anniversary edition including the exact same stuff already available on the internet (PC,3DO versions) and pretty low quality illustrations... i have to mention that Catoblepa has done a lot of new and original illustrations for us while Viccom seems to have completely lost their original content and were using jpeg? files as source content ^^

Check out my quick game comparison :
that clearly shows that huge work and dedication make THE difference.. a true love story from a developer point of vue :)

Uh, OK if you say so. Then why the drop in art style for the new game?

Back