What's new
Woo hoo! Congrats on this awesome mutli finally getting near the finish line. My pcb and body are ready.

Oof, huge bummer on the lack of FW spinner support. I’m probably in the tiny minority but I think that’s a deal-breaker for me.

Oof, huge bummer on the lack of FW spinner support. I’m probably in the tiny minority but I think that’s a deal-breaker for me.

Only one game out of 33 games on the CPS1 & 1.5 hardware use the spinner. If you really must have Forgotten Worlds with spinner support, convert an additional cheap Street Fighter II World Warriors for it and then enjoy the other 32 games that don't use a spinner on the Multi.

Seems like an odd place to draw the deal-breaker line to me... :D

Last edited:
@ShootTheCore -- The issue is that Forgotten Worlds uses a custom B-Board with integrated C, and that is the only board that has the spinner connector on it.

forgottenworlds.jpg

Seems promising the information @Mitsurugi-w shared on this thread regarding a filter board with the connector on it though...

I honestly had no idea either until I looked into it. I would have assumed a C Board would have had the connector given all the conversions I’ve seen sold.

Forgotten Worlds B board also has a NEC uPD4701AC which handles the rotary inputs. I don’t know if it’s currently the case but when I tried to source those a while ago it was tough to find more than a handful.

My experience with running conversions of the 10 MHz games on 12 MHz boards is that the games run the same - Capcom’s coders wrote the games to accommodate the higher clock speed. I believe 1941 is the only game people have mentioned that runs differently with the higher clock speed, and a patched ROM would likely take care of it.
This is what we have experienced as well.

So if i run this multi on a 10mHz board like mercs, ill have no issues?
Correct. It will run the games as intended for 10MHz exactly as they are on original hardware. 12MHz games will run also but if you’re super hyper ultra sensitive to speed differences, you may notice a very minor speed bump or drop.

We’re in heavy testing mode still and if any anomalies are found, they’ll be reported for sure. If you’re waiting to buy a donor board, perhaps it’s best to wait until final testing is done so we can report findings in case there is anything odd.

And as @Mitsurugi-w suggested, short boards at *this point* are preferred, but not the final word. I like (and highly recommend) the short boards personally, more compact and the connector/filter board just snaps the multi together.

Life’s short, and if you’re a true Multi Boy like you claim you are you’ll already have a short 10MHz and a 12MHz and be ready for anything ;)

Forgotten Worlds B board also has a NEC uPD4701AC which handles the rotary inputs. I don’t know if it’s currently the case but when I tried to source those a while ago it was tough to find more than a handful.
1635712658663-png.png

1635712687756-png.png

1635712715955-png.png

These are the 3 major ICs in the spinners control circuit
The LWIO has been dumped/bruteforced and confirmed working
the M2334P is just a comparator
and the 4701 is the counter

Keep in mind this is still a prototype with kinks being worked out. I can't foresee any of these issues not being fixed.
So we should wait for an official post from Darksoft or yourself regarding the final features/components used, requirements, etc...regarding the multi, correct?

Correct. It will run the games as intended for 10MHz exactly as they are on original hardware. 12MHz games will run also but if you’re super hyper ultra sensitive to speed differences, you may notice a very minor speed bump or drop.

We’re in heavy testing mode still and if any anomalies are found, they’ll be reported for sure. If you’re waiting to buy a donor board, perhaps it’s best to wait until final testing is done so we can report findings in case there is anything odd.

And as @Mitsurugi-w suggested, short boards at *this point* are preferred, but not the final word. I like (and highly recommend) the short boards personally, more compact and the connector/filter board just snaps the multi together.

Life’s short, and if you’re a true Multi Boy like you claim you are you’ll already have a short 10MHz and a 12MHz and be ready for anything ;)
My body is ready.

The thing is that we keep adding features and nice to have things and it never stops. We should at some point release.
So we should wait for an official post from Darksoft or yourself regarding the final features/components used, requirements, etc...regarding the multi, correct?

Last edited:
Only one game out of 33 games on the CPS1 & 1.5 hardware use the spinner. If you really must have Forgotten Worlds with spinner support, convert an additional cheap Street Fighter II World Warriors for it and then enjoy the other 32 games that don't use a spinner on the Multi.

Seems like an odd place to draw the deal-breaker line to me... :D
Lol well I said I expected to be in the minority here. 🙂 But it’s simply a cost effectiveness thing… I’ve got a cps1 board (captain commando) and axunworks spinners ready to go, and expecting this to be $400-500+… but if I’m honest, it won’t give me much practical benefit over my mistercade setup except better audio. I don’t think I can justify the expense. I love having original hardware, and this is incredible work as always, but the big (admittedly niche) benefit I was looking forward to won’t be here.

If FW spinner support is something that could be modded in later for those who care to, that would be awesome!

The thing is that we keep adding features and nice to have 5hings and it never stops. We should at some point release.
Stop adding stuff and release :D Feature creep is real, I go through the same thing with stuff I design.

Ofcourse I am looking forward to a post /video from @Mitsurugi-w regarding this multi and all its features as is the custom with your multi releases.

My 2 cents on the FW spinner issue. I was fired up for spinner support and wanted to invest in a set for a long time.

I picked up a cab for the multi and really started thinking about the control panel layout and it suddenly dawned on me that the spinner would really be in the way for most other games. I'd imagine that most of these multis will be put in cabs with a SF2 6-button layout; where would the spinner go?

I've been running a romhack conversion FW board (2 buttons for rotation). I believe most of us were probably introduced to the game this way; FW wasn't a huge release, and I've only encountered it in an arcade once. The 3 button really feels normal to me and I've playing the game this way most of my life.

Last edited:
My body is ready.
172 separate ROM sets tested and played and I’m still not bored of the library… that’s definitely saying something ;). Thanks for giving me the green light to post up the reveal of the Multi @Darksoft — it’s crazy how much work you’ve put into this. Just realise this sneak peek is just a teaser and as I said in my post, the proper announcement will be the final word :thumbsup:

re: the Spinners. I’ll concur. The game is an entirely different experience playing with them. I love using my Axunworks spinners so much that I am working with @alberto1225 to make a custom panel for them but if it’ll put the multi on hold for months, it’s not worth waiting any longer for one game/control system with the looming / continuing parts shortages IMO.

P.S. @Darksoft is it possible to have versions of every Forgotten Worlds sets to use buttons for spinning perhaps ;)

Back