What's new

TulioAdriano

Student
Reaction score
I looked all over for these and could not find it anywhere... so I made my own:

Here are the settings I changed to get the pixels as crisp as I could, starting from the generic profile:
  • Video In Proc:
    • Video LPF: 16 MHz
  • Sampling Opt:
    • Allow Upsample2x: Off (this made the video stop going in and out)
    • Adv. Timing: (All items)
      • H. Sample rate: 656.10
      • H. Sample frac: 656.10
      • H. Synclen: 66
      • H. Backporch: 51
      • H. Active: 496
      • V. Synclen: 3
      • V. Backporch: 27
      • V. Active: 384
      • H. Border: 0
      • V. Border: 0
      • Sampling Phase: 180 deg
  • Output Opt:
    • 384p/400p proc: Line2x
    • Line2x mode: Generic 4:3
This will output close to 1024 x 768, which monitors like. I tuned this on a LCD monitors via HDMI, but my final setup uses a 24" CRT monitor through VGA for more authenticity. I also have Scanlines turned ON, and fine tuned to be not too weak nor too aggressive.

When using Line3x Generic for 384p/400p proc, these worked for me.
  • Sampling Opt:
    • Allow Upsample2x: Off (this made the video stop going in and out)
    • Adv. Timing: (all items)
      • H. Sample rate: 2000.00
      • H. Synclen: 240
      • H. Backporch: 120
      • H. Active: 1600
      • V. Synclen: 2
      • V. Backporch: 34
      • V. Active: 400
      • H. Border: 0
      • V. Border: 0
      • Sampling Phase: 180 deg

Note that SyncLen and Backporch can vary depending on your monitor. In my case I'm using a VGA monitor so some of the position settings was done in the monitor menu.

I hope this helps someone.

Did you know sega model 2 in medium res doesn’t”t have scanlines?

Did you know sega model 2 in medium res doesn’t”t have scanlines?
I thought scanlines were inherent of all CRT based video due to how the frames are drawn on the screen, and whether they're visible (or rather, the gap between then) or not would depend on a variety of factors such as the focus capability of the Kinescope (aka CRT) and its wearing state, the quality of the chassis and deflection yoke driving it, and the resolution applied. In my D20F1U BVM, I can only see scanlines clearly up to 480p video, and faintly on darker tones (since variation in brightness during a line is directly related to how narrow the beam is) at 720p, but once it gets past that resolution they get too close to be seen with naked eye.

I wish I had a 24KHz 29" CRT monitor such as the ones used in the Daytona USA cabinets or any local place I could go to inspect that. Despite its size, it's very possible that a technician could adjust the focus on the flyback transformer so that scanlines would not be visible at the expense of finer detail... or it could be that over the years the tubes got worn so that the electrons wouldn't be drawn only from the center of the cathode, resulting in a wider beam profile, and that would limit how narrow the focus would be. In any case, thanks for the info. 🙇‍♂️

Back