What's new

MountainDewFKR

Student
Reaction score
Hey guys, so this year I plan to put some time into my Neo Candy 29. First thing will be to recap the monitor.
Once that is done i wanted to see what are my options to be able to to change button layout on the fly. Mainly looking for capcom 6, MVS rainbow and KOF box.
Ill mainly be swapping cps2, mvs and naomi on this cab.

Thanks

I'd be curious to see if anyone has a good answer, I dunno what it would be myself. I have a custom layout selector I did with a friend for my Neo Candy 29, but it only does 4 different Neo Geo variations, it would take a lot more wiring to be able to add Capcom 6 to the mix.

It's documented somewhat here so you can get a sense for it:

https://twitter.com/aurich/status/1349117261496295424?s=20&t=Uxv3UQaY6jOzn4MsaOcdgw

E6DZ0GKVgAE8-28.jpeg

Thats pretty cool actually. Def would go this route on a dedicated mvs setup.
Especially since i like this layout for RB2
ABC
D

Actually what i really need is something maybe like a JNX atlas where i can also plug in the cps2 kickharness. And it would only deal with neo geo side of things. With jumpers so i can determine which layout i want per player side.

it's super super hacky but i needed the wiring for one button to go to different pins on my vs city so i put a male connector pin on the wire from the button and female connector sockets on the two wires that it needs to connect to. It's not a great long term solution, def curious how others have solved this issue.
reqire hack.jpeg

I actually spoke with James at JNX.
That looks slick and smart, but I gotta say, I really like my solution being user friendly. Anyone can sit down and twist the dial to their preferred layout easy. If you have to open up the cab and move jumpers around it sort of defeats my purpose a bit, but maybe it's great for home use when you're using one cab for a lot of different things, but not switching often.

The dial is def god like as far as user ease goes.
The Jnx solution is nice as a plug and play option that can also be moved to a different cab if needed.
I dont have any dedicated cabs for mvs.
It def wouldve been nice if it was on a slider switch instead of jumpers.
Its $50 shipped btw

@RGB made a device called a RECO that was very handy for this.
I don't believe he makes them anymore unfortunately.

Supports fully remapping, any button to any button.
Turbo fire
Negatron (for cabs/PSUs without -5v)
Kick consolidation (4,5,6 any combo, JAMMA edge+CPS2 style).

Turbo fire
Yes, it is an awesome device indeed, I second this.

I was talking to him about it the other day. I believe it is still his intention to make more, unfortunately he's currently facing issues sourcing the required parts.

I got a remap and auto-fire board in the works. Pretty close to done, just finalizing some last minute details. 6 button support, full remapping of any button to any Jamma input. Separate frames on / frames off auto fire configuration for odd ball fire rates (30, 20, 15, 12, 10,... Hz) . Also has a novel way to re-configure your button settings. I will post something soon about it.

Turbo fire
YUp, the RECOs are pretty sweet, still have/use mine
I got a remap and auto-fire board in the works. Pretty close to done, just finalizing some last minute details. 6 button support, full remapping of any button to any Jamma input. Separate frames on / frames off auto fire configuration for odd ball fire rates (30, 20, 15, 12, 10,... Hz) . Also has a novel way to re-configure your button settings. I will post something soon about it.
=O Lets see it, I already want one for my Candy 26 :thumbup:

I have a RECO. Nice board. But it's not a great solution for "on the fly" button mapping, it's too much work. Fine if you want to set up something specific for one game that you leave set up for a bit, not a particularly accessible casual remapper for players.

I have a RECO. Nice board. But it's not a great solution for "on the fly" button mapping, it's too much work. Fine if you want to set up something specific for one game that you leave set up for a bit, not a particularly accessible casual remapper for players.
That is true!

Yes on the fly button changes is something that was key to my design. Let just say those stock AWSD panels just got more useful ;)

it's too much work
I didn't feel that it was too much work, however I have entered into remap mode unintentionally more than once.
Also when the MVS multi was coming out, we had to remind DS why he couldn't use the original button-combo menu call (it was also RECOs remap button-combo).

Yeah I don't use a RECO on my MVS cab because I have a unibios and the "other" multi (sorry, I know TO is a turd but it fit my use case more), both combined make it unusable there sadly. I only ever remap so that button 1 is duplicated on button 3 and has autofire (keeping normal rate on 1 for charge shots or any other reason you want button 1 to not be rapid) so I used the classic 7404 autofire circuit and a DPDT switch to both duplicate button 1 and add the autofire. Put the switch in one of the CP lock holes and a pot for autofire rate in the other:

P1070385.JPG

I'd be curious to see if anyone has a good answer, I dunno what it would be myself. I have a custom layout selector I did with a friend for my Neo Candy 29, but it only does 4 different Neo Geo variations, it would take a lot more wiring to be able to add Capcom 6 to the mix.

It's documented somewhat here so you can get a sense for it:

https://twitter.com/aurich/status/1349117261496295424?s=20&t=Uxv3UQaY6jOzn4MsaOcdgw

E6DZ0GKVgAE8-28.jpeg

wow, that is so slick and genius. really impressive!

Back