What's new
For Sale
Up to you. Latest I would like it is once it arrive at destination port (Montreal, Oakland, Vancouver)
O-O-O-Oak-land? Oakland?

@Cereth, any chance we can pick up at the port of Oakland? Would save me, @rewrite, @theoddtech about 12 hours off our trip if we can. Of course, we'll have to find some place other than Boomtown to chow down at now though.

@XeD, thanks so much for fronting all of us on this. We all owe you a huge debt for putting this together. And big thanks to @Derick2k and @Cereth for stepping in and lending resources to make this happen for members stateside.

Up to you. Latest I would like it is once it arrive at destination port (Montreal, Oakland, Vancouver)
O-O-O-Oak-land? Oakland?
@Cereth, any chance we can pick up at the port of Oakland? Would save me, @rewrite, @theoddtech about 12 hours off our trip if we can. Of course, we'll have to find some place other than Boomtown to chow down at now though.

@XeD, thanks so much for fronting all of us on this. We all owe you a huge debt for putting this together. And big thanks to @Derick2k and @Cereth for stepping in and lending resources to make this happen for members stateside.
Only a licensed trucking company can pick up a container at port, and you cannot unload on the docks. The only way you could pick up in the area is if you have storage and a means to unload in the area. If you have dock height storage, can unload, store, and process the container, then you can pick up in Oakland.

Alternatively if roughly half the cabs are being delivered to the Bay and you have a dock service we can use in the area, we could both meet up with a 26' truck and take half the load. Either way, in order to pick up in Oakland, we need our own facility with a dock that we can unload at, and transfer that load into two 26' trucks. I pay $500 for such a service in Reno. You will absolutely need to be there the day it happens and have a truck ready. I'll look into locations in the area.

EDIT: For reference, you have something like 24 hrs once the container is released to deliver, unload, and return the container. There is a fee if it isn't returned in time. There is also a fee to the trucker if the container isn't unloaded and have them on their way in a certain time. Also seriously if you want to go this route it'll probably overall save everyone, if you can find something where we can do this let me know and we can go for it! There's about a month we can take to plan for this, I won't need to prep a trucker to pick up until around when the container arrives.

Last edited:
O-O-O-Oak-land? Oakland?@Cereth, any chance we can pick up at the port of Oakland? Would save me, @rewrite, @theoddtech about 12 hours off our trip if we can. Of course, we'll have to find some place other than Boomtown to chow down at now though.

Only a licensed trucking company can pick up a container at port, and you cannot unload on the docks. The only way you could pick up in the area is if you have storage and a means to unload in the area. If you have dock height storage, can unload, store, and process the container, then you can pick up in Oakland.
Alternatively if roughly half the cabs are being delivered to the Bay and you have a dock service we can use in the area, we could both meet up with a 26' truck and take half the load. Either way, in order to pick up in Oakland, we need our own facility with a dock that we can unload at, and transfer that load into two 26' trucks. I pay $500 for such a service in Reno. You will absolutely need to be there the day it happens and have a truck ready. I'll look into locations in the area.
While we're on the subject @Cereth I'll be using Michelle/STI for delivery of my cabs and have had good experiences with them in the past. I think you mentioned you use them as well. In my case since I'll be arranging delivery to Dallas Texas, STI would pick them up from you in Reno Nevada then correct?

Yep, that costs the same shipped from pretty much anywhere. Regional hubs are $50-100 cheaper but getting them there balances it out. To give you an idea, if I shipped to SF for example, it's no cheaper or only a few dollars cheaper than shipping to say VA. They have a minimum cost per order, which is why 1 cab is roughly $500, and two cabs to the same location would be roughly $20 more

Yep, that costs the same shipped from pretty much anywhere. Regional hubs are $50-100 cheaper but getting them there balances it out. To give you an idea, if I shipped to SF for example, it's no cheaper or only a few dollars cheaper than shipping to say VA. They have a minimum cost per order, which is why 1 cab is roughly $500, and two cabs to the same location would be roughly $20 more
Cool yeah we're on the same page. :)

Thanks for putting this together. two player panel on my NNC please. Thanks!

@Cereth, I have a buddy that has a business in Fremont. It's about 20-35 mins south of the port of Oakland. If I actually end up getting two cabs, he is getting one of them so he may be willing to lend a hand. He does have a dock. And by dock, I mean, he has two ground level roll-up doors at his business.
  1. Does the lack of shipping height dock pose any problems with unloading the shipping container?
  2. How many pallets are coming off the container to Oakland?
    1. I know my buddy has lots of spare floor space, but not sure how much space.
    2. But, if trucks are going to pick up the pallets once they come off the shipping container anyway, we can always park them outside for a short time and load from there.
    3. Of course, would have to coordinate the effort so they don't stay outside if they have to be left outside.
Anything else that needs consideration before I approach my buddy about this?

P.S.: Heck, depending on how generous my buddy is with using his business, might just ask him if he is willing to allow the cabs to be distributed to members from his business. Save you a trip with your trucks too. But of course, the other members have to be cool with this too since things have already been planned out. Just a thought for now.

If I actually end up getting two cabs, he is getting one of them so he may be willing to lend a hand.
If that works out, count on @theoddtech and I for extra muscle loading/unloading. A chunk of a day's work for not driving another 6-8 hours is cool by me.

If it's a friend's place with space and time to work, we can do without a dock. You'd just need to load the cabs into the back of a 26' back to back, and use the lift gate to lower them. Just need to be ready to pump it out as fast as possible. Nothing will be palleted. Once the container is empty, we can take whatever time we need or have to sort where they go. If he could store for a while that would be helpful! I could help all the arrangements for pick up, maybe be in the area when it happens but idk my schedule that far out yet.

If that works out, count on @theoddtech and I for extra muscle loading/unloading. A chunk of a day's work for not driving another 6-8 hours is cool by me.
Double up that travel time since there is the return trip to factor in too. So yeah, pick up from Oakland would be better definitely for you, me, and theoddtech but we won't do it unless it is best for everyone. Muscle is always welcome, but we might need an extra full sized pallet jack or two. Don't know for sure if my buddy has one at all.

Out of curiosity, how many cabs are you picking up for SoCal members?

3 or 4. Depends on if @theoddtech ends up with one or not.

2 for me, 1 for our islander friend.

No palletjack needed as nothing will be on a pallet.

It's actually only a 120 mile round trip difference it seems to go to Reno vs Oakland it seems.

3 or 4. Depends on if @theoddtech ends up with one or not.
2 for me, 1 for our islander friend.

No palletjack needed as nothing will be on a pallet.

It's actually only a 120 mile round trip difference it seems to go to Reno vs Oakland it seems.
Its not bad at all depending on the time of the year thru Donner Pass. Only other thing is traffic once you hit like Vallejo depending on the time. But I'm sure @Cereth is use to it.

Its not bad at all depending on the time of the year thru Donner Pass. Only other thing is traffic once you hit like Vallejo depending on the time. But I'm sure @Cereth is use to it.
If it ends up being Reno I'll just take the 395 straight up. There's no sense going through the Bay Area from where I live, it'd just add several hours.

Alright, Fremont is out of the picture due to timing. My buddy would like to help, but seeing as he creates packaging for all manner of products, November and December is his busy season and he can't fit it in.

Back to Plan A for us local picker-uppers.

Back