What's new

HornheaDD

Professional
Reaction score
I picked upa Blast City cab a couple of months ago from a local arcade op, and it was a little beat up. Didn't have a marquee, the buttons were sticky, there was an extra hole in the CP (which came in handy, actually), and it was pretty dirty. The monitor is in decent shape and has a pretty good picture, but could probably benefit from a recap (which unfortunately is beyond my capability, I think), and it has a little burn in from spending quite a bit of time as a Metal Slug 4 dedicated cab. I didn't do a complete restore like some of the champs here did, but maybe in the future. Regardless, my goal was to put a MiSTer in it (which I have, thanks to @invzim 's radtastic Expander. But I also had a Dreamcast MGCD that I purchased from a friend several months ago.

I tricked out the Dreamcast with a DreamPSU, GDEmu and a 128gb card, and the control board battery/resister/LED upgrade kit. The first MGCD I had came with it's nice case, but no matter what I tried, I couldn't get the controls to work. I scoured the net for solutions, and even with trying to make an adapter and what not, nothing would work. I think it was damaged. I even sent it to JAMMANationX to check out and he couldn't get it to work either.

I ended up buying another from a guy on eBay who was uncharacteristically helpful and generous with said help. This time, it worked great. I just needed an adapter because for some reason the A, B, X and Y buttons are all flipped on the control panel. So buttons 1 and 2 act like quick kick and medium kick, where buttons 4 and 5 acted like the punches. So I hit up JNX yet again for an adapter to swap the punches and kicks and voila - Dreamcast goodness on my Blast City! Would I love to have a real NAOMI set up, or CPSIII set up? Shoot yeah, but I don't have that kinda money. So the MGCD it is for now! Unfortunately both of the devices I bought did not come with the VMU cable. I think the A version did not support it while the B version (the one I have now) does support a VMU cable. I haven't been able to find one. But I did find an auction on eBay with someone selling the MGCD with the cable. I shot him a message to see if he has any extra, but I doubt it.

I even modified the MGCD board with a small hack I found on the net using a solder bridge to disable the OSD timer which was annoyingly huge. While the MGCD was designed to work with only a handful (like 100) of Japanese and even less US Dreamcast games, you can set the dips in a such a manner that it changes the credit-for-time to 256 minutes per credit. Then with the GDEmu installed, it will play anything you throw at it.

So now I have an upgraded Soul Calibur, all 3 SF3 games, JoJo, and Marvel vs Capcom 2 along with the Atomiswave ports in my cab, which is nice. I want to do a video on the MGCD since most of the stuff Ive seen on Youtube is in Spanish, or just shows that it runs Dreamcast games. I'm also not much of a videographer, so I dunno.

Last thing (sorry this is so long) is that the video -while decent- on the MGCD works just fine, it's a tiny bit wavy, and is most noticeable with text. I dont know if that's a result of the OSD mod I did or if it's the nature of the system. I don't seem to remember my first version displaying video like that but I never really got to spend much time using it since I could never get it to work. Otherwise, with the MiSTer and MGCD at my disposal, I'm covered for a nice while. I thought about setting up a post in the Project/Restore section, but since I didn't really do much more than replace the sticks/buttons on the cab, I figured I'd just post about my MGCD setup :)

Anyway, if anyone has any questions on it, I can certainly try to answer them to the best of my ability!

edit: I didn't realize there is a user's guide that was posted here just a few messages down, lol. That's funny!

3rdstrike.jpg
MvsC2.jpg
MvcC2.jpg

Last edited:
I have 2 MGDC I bought a few months ago on eBay and hope to see more info come out like this, I haven’t had time to really play with with them. thanks for posting.

How did you hook up the kick harness to the GDCD?
I used an adapter that I had made by JNX.

The way the MGCD's buttons are configured - when you put it on a 'street fighter' 6 button layout, the light and medium kicks and punches are swapped. So buttons 1 and 2 are light and med kick, buttons 4 and 5 are light and medium punch.

I had James build (basically an Atlas that he sells) a custom adapter that 'corrects' the layout, and also has a CPS1 harness connector, because I have a CPS1 harness as opposed to 2.

I have 2 MGDC I bought a few months ago on eBay and hope to see more info come out like this, I haven’t had time to really play with with them. thanks for posting.
I want to try and make a video on them since there isn't a whole lot of info out there, but Im not a film maker and I think the vid would just come out dumb lol.

Yeah I hear you, I’m the same. Plus I never could understand how people film and edit themselves without feeling traumatized by the sound of they’re own voice or something..

Last edited:
I used an adapter that I had made by JNX.

The way the MGCD's buttons are configured - when you put it on a 'street fighter' 6 button layout, the light and medium kicks and punches are swapped. So buttons 1 and 2 are light and med kick, buttons 4 and 5 are light and medium punch.

I had James build (basically an Atlas that he sells) a custom adapter that 'corrects' the layout, and also has a CPS1 harness connector, because I have a CPS1 harness as opposed to 2.

I want to try and make a video on them since there isn't a whole lot of info out there, but Im not a film maker and I think the vid would just come out dumb lol.
So there is a connector on the board for you to plug in a kick harness? I just need a custom adapter to connect to it? How do I put it in a Street Fighter layout? Are there some switches on the device for me to configure? Sorry for all the questions. I'm new to investigating this. Might pick one up and mess around with myself. I just want to have as much info as I can before spending money on this thing. A dude is selling these from Mexico on ebay and I'll probably order one from him. It doesn't come with the VMU adapter though like you said. I assume if I really needed the VMU, I can just plug another controller with the VMU into the 3rd or 4th controller port of the DC.

So there is a connector on the board for you to plug in a kick harness? I just need a custom adapter to connect to it? How do I put it in a Street Fighter layout? Are there some switches on the device for me to configure? Sorry for all the questions. I'm new to investigating this. Might pick one up and mess around with myself. I just want to have as much info as I can before spending money on this thing. A dude is selling these from Mexico on ebay and I'll probably order one from him. It doesn't come with the VMU adapter though like you said. I assume if I really needed the VMU, I can just plug another controller with the VMU into the 3rd or 4th controller port of the DC.

Dude. For real, no big deal on the questions - I know exactly how you feel. I was the same when I got my first MGCD from a friend. I tried scouring the net and found some bits of info here and there, but nothing super helpful on getting it up and running. Turns out it wasn't working so I bought another. If the Mexico dude you're buying from on Ebay this guy, then he's a super good dude. His name is Mario. I bought my second (working) MGCD from him, though it didn't come with a shell like my first one. But it was like $60 USD. And he's super helpful. I actually emailed him about the VMU thing as well, he said he didn't have anymore to sell, but that he's working on a possible solution. You're right about the 3rd controller though, that's exactly how I have mine set up. Port 3 has a controller with a VMU plugged into it. Though some games don't like to load/save from the third port, like Third Strike so your mileage may vary.

As far as the adapter, you pretty much hit the nail on the head. Check out James' auction for an Atlas here. My adapter looks exactly like that, with some minor differences, mainly in the wiring. I'd take a pic of mine's wiring but it's covered by a protective pad that I had to take off once so I'd rather not pull it off again. Like I said I had him swap buttons 1/2 and 4/5. But rest assured, that Atlas is 99.9% identical to mine.

You plug that adapter into the JAMMA edge on the MGCD, and then you plug the JAMMA harness into the adapter, and plug the kick harness into the port on the adapter.

As far as the layout, the Dreamcast is already 6 buttons and start, so you're basically covered.

Here's the Dreamcast layout: (imagine a street fighter button config)

XYL
ABR

This is what the MGCD does to the buttons by default:

ABL
XYR

So you see the face buttons are flipped by the MGCD for some weird reason. So your light/med kicks become punches and vice versa. Most games will allow you to change controller settings, but that also involves saving to a VMU to keep those settings. If you don't have one, or the game doesn't like saving to Port 3, then you have to manually change it every time you play a game. Not that big of a deal, but I'm super lazy, so I hit up JNX to build the adapter for me so I don't have to worry about it.

RE: Switches - yes, there are two sets of dips on the board. There's a page of codes for games that are 'supported' by the MGCD. I think it's linked to in the other thread in this same section. Mainly it worked with about 100 Japanese games, and some US games. You set the dips to Setting X to play Game X, setting Y to play game Z, and so on. The switch settings tells the MGCD what screens to look for and block/allow. BUT - if you do a specific dip setting to increase the time-for-credit to 256 minutes, then it will somehow allow just about any game to play. So you can just set that dip setting, put a GDEmu in it and call it a day.

One very important thing to remember is - If you get an MGCD with its case you need to plug your JAMMA harness in UPSIDE DOWN. It's not really upside down, the MGCD just orients the PCB upside down in the case, so the solder side is up, components side down. Its easy to forget and plug it in normally, thus burning out your MGDC. I think that may have been what happened with my first one, a previous owner prob didn't realize it and burned something out.

There's a guy in Italy that is selling an MGCD with its case, (i think) and it includes a VMU cable. I asked him if he had anymore to sell and he never replied, the jabroni. Keep in mind there are two main versions of the MGCD, the A and the B. I believe the B is the one that supports the actual VMU cable. But even so, the whole plugging the controller in solution will work just fine.

Oh so I need an extra adapter to hook up the kick harness? I have a cps2 kick harness. Let me see if I can find an adapter for it.

The kick harness can be CPS1 or 2, depending on what you order. I had a CPS1 harness already, so I just ordered that.

I'd suggest reading up a little on the MGCD, because it's CHAMMA, and if you dont have an adapter it requires some modifications to your harness. Check out this thread on KLOV for a bit more info. If you get one, the Atlas also needs to be on the CHAMMA/Elf jumper setting otherwise none of your controls will work.

Ohh, so the JNX adapter is all I need? I wonder if I can ask him to make me the exact same kind of adapter with the buttons swapped.

Ohh, so the JNX adapter is all I need? I wonder if I can ask him to make me the exact same kind of adapter with the buttons swapped.
Yessir, thats pretty much it. Hit him up, I actually bought two adapters from him, one for my Neo25 before I had this Blast, and then one when I got the blast.

I just ordered it from him. Thank you for all your help! I can't wait for all the stuff to get here. I'll try to document the steps I take in order to get everything hooked up with credits to this thread.

I just ordered it from him. Thank you for all your help! I can't wait for all the stuff to get here. I'll try to document the steps I take in order to get everything hooked up with credits to this thread.
Did you get your MGCD with a case, or is it the bare PCB?

I wasn't aware there was an option with a case. I just emailed him and he said he'd make one for me. I'm assuming no case which is fine for me anyways.

I also noticed the guy is in Hawaii. Should get the thing in a few days I think. He already shipped it out.

I wasn't aware there was an option with a case. I just emailed him and he said he'd make one for me. I'm assuming no case which is fine for me anyways.

I also noticed the guy is in Hawaii. Should get the thing in a few days I think. He already shipped it out.
Yep, they came with this case:

1639176202846.png

I havent seen many out there with their case tho.

Mime came with no case but it did come with the VMU cable. fwiw I never actually used it, just plugged in an extra controller with memory card.

This thread is good timing for me, as I've been meaning to use the MGCD again but with a tate cab for shooters this time. Lots of great info - much appreciated! I'll try the OSD mod but would be thrilled to see a method to eliminate credit feeding altogether some day.

Mime came with no case but it did come with the VMU cable. fwiw I never actually used it, just plugged in an extra controller with memory card.

This thread is good timing for me, as I've been meaning to use the MGCD again but with a tate cab for shooters this time. Lots of great info - much appreciated! I'll try the OSD mod but would be thrilled to see a method to eliminate credit feeding altogether some day.

Dude if you're not using the VMU cable, I'd love to buy it off ya if you're selling.

Back