What's new
So it’s confirmed that port 3 can be used with a controller and VMU, providing the game supports saving from that port?
I’m trying to make time this weekend to play around with my MGCD, I have a VGA modded Dreamcast so hopefully I can get it to work in 31k.
A few months ago I tested out my friends MGCD and it seemed to only run well through the 15k from the Jamma edge.

So it’s confirmed that port 3 can be used with a controller and VMU, providing the game supports saving from that port?
I’m trying to make time this weekend to play around with my MGCD, I have a VGA modded Dreamcast so hopefully I can get it to work in 31k.
A few months ago I tested out my friends MGCD and it seemed to only run well through the 15k from the Jamma edge.
Yep, most games can save/load to port 3A. But some games don't like it.

I even tried a Dreamcast Save 'game disc' thats on the ODE to load stuff like all the characters on MvsC2, etc and it worked fine. But Street Fighter Third Strike refuses to like it.

Dude if you're not using the VMU cable, I'd love to buy it off ya if you're selling.
Give me a few days to get it out or storage and I'll reach out assuming the VMU cable is still there.

Yeah it works fine from any port for pretty much any game that matters which you would want to play in a cab. And if not, you can always temporarily load your save via controller before plugging back in the cable from MGCD.

My MGCD should be arriving some time this week. I'll try to hook it up and make a video of it.

Did you just use the audio coming out of jamma or did you rig anything up for stereo audio? The audio out of jamma sounds pretty bad. At least through my Astro Cities. I am getting my DC modded with DCHDMI however so I think I'm just going to get an HDMI audio interceptor and pull the audio from that into my stereo speaks. It will sound much cleaner.

I went straight through the JAMMA edge. There is a teeny tiny volume pot on the board, it might be dirty, or even turned way down. Check that to see if it changes.

Hey @BroadwayJose you ever find that VMU cable? :)

Nice setup @imfuraisoth

I recall audio through the jamma harness with this device being really terrible, so that's not surprising. Even when running this inside a New Versus City and its built in amp it still was scratchy and just generally bad. But also just know that cvs2 as a game on DC and PS2 runs at a very high baseline audio volume. It's not going to be the same for other games, so hopefully you'll have better luck elsewhere.

@HornheaDD haven't had an opportunity to get into storage lately but I'll be sure to follow up if I can find that cable.

Okay video is finally finished!
View: https://youtu.be/G93r5L-0EEQ
Nice video! I do have to push back on something you said; a NAOMI netboot setup is far less than the $1K minimum you mentioned. eBay and Amazon prices below but you can probably get better prices on the forum.

- NAOMI motherboard: $180
- Multi BIOS: $9
- Zero key: $7
- NetDIMM board: $180
- DIMM RAM: $25 (512GB)
- Capcom IO: $180
- HD-15 (VGA) cable: $9
- USB-A cable: $7
- RCA cable: $7
- Raspberry Pi: $35
- RPi display: $13
- Micro USB cable
- Crossover network cable: $11

Last edited:
Nice setup @imfuraisoth

I recall audio through the jamma harness with this device being really terrible, so that's not surprising. Even when running this inside a New Versus City and its built in amp it still was scratchy and just generally bad. But also just know that cvs2 as a game on DC and PS2 runs at a very high baseline audio volume. It's not going to be the same for other games, so hopefully you'll have better luck elsewhere.

@HornheaDD haven't had an opportunity to get into storage lately but I'll be sure to follow up if I can find that cable.
No worries! Preesh.

So the pi is used as substitute to booting with the gdrom? I just remember I was looking for a while on eBay for all the stuff and it was pretty damn expensive. You’re also not including the price of the game itself. Cvs2 was running like $300 on eBay I think.

Edit: oh I realized with the pi loading the games, I guess the games cost is essentially moot. With the chip shortage, even the pi price has gone up a lot unfortunately. I actually was looking for a 3B+ this morning and it’s sold out everywhere and the prices are amazon are hyper inflated.

Last edited:
Ah cool, maybe I'll look into that eventually. As for the sound coming from MGCD, I'm having my Dreamcast modded with DCHDMI and I plan on just tapping the audio signals out of the HDMI and send it to my external speaker setup. I'll try to make a short video on that once I have it all set up. It should sound much better than what it is now out of the jamma mono channel.

So i’ve got 2 naomi netboot setup. Do i need a dreamcast setup? Or why wouldn’t I?

So i’ve got 2 naomi netboot setup. Do i need a dreamcast setup? Or why wouldn’t I?
Haven’t you ever wanted to play Resident Evil: Code Veronica or Skies of Arcadia on a cabinet?!

Haven’t you ever wanted to play Resident Evil: Code Veronica or Skies of Arcadia on a cabinet?!
sorry, have no idea what these are ;) remember: I'm an ARCADE guy ... not a console guy ! :D

Among other reasons, DC games load much quicker than the netboot setup and from what I tell the Atomiswave conversions are more accurate on DC than on Naomi. I guess the cheaper cost is also a plus, but that won't really matter if you already have a Naomi. Aside from that, generally just comes down to a different set of available games. Both platforms share some common titles but there's is much more on DC which were never originally Naomi games but came from different arcade platforms, or were developed for DC specfically and not necessarily arcade.

Last edited:
Also, the MGCD is smaller than an entire NAOMI set up, so that's one 'plus' for it. I would love to have the full NAOMI thing but I mean, this works just fine for me. The sound on mine isn't too bad though, honestly. Maybe the one you got is a little messed up?

I know on mine, the video is a little wavy, like I mentioned. So I dont think these things are of the highest quality, lol. @Mrhide I mean, if you already have the NAOMI, you wouldn't need this. It was just designed as a cheap alternative for arcade ops to get NAOMI games on their floors in China and Taiwan.

Back