What's new
Is there anything new about the cartridge for Neo Geo AES? Waiting from before Christmas to finally be ready.

Thank you!

Is there anything new about the cartridge for Neo Geo AES? Waiting from before Christmas to finally be ready.

Thank you!
The long answer:
There have been several issues that Darksoft and the team are working on with the MVS cart and once those have been solved, work will commence on the AES version.

Remember the AES version is based off of the MVS version, so if it's released too soon it may have the same issues.

The short answer:

The AES will be released ASAP

:D

Just found out about this darksoft mvs neo geo flash cart. If ordered today when would I receive this cart?

Thanks

Ok guess I got my answer then.
The official answer is we don't know yet. 2nd batch will be out once all issues are resolved. Might be a small revision made to the pcb. We would rather not have to potentially service two batches for a small update.

Good things come to those that wait.
I hate that saying.
Hope i didn't come across as rude, Just on the MVS version i'm looking for an AES console just to get the AES cart ( in good time ) on the performance of the MVS cart i don't think we'll be dissapointed. Well worth the wait! ( i waited over 10 years for a MVS Multicart )

Good things come to those that wait.
I hate that saying.
In the retro gaming market, with these exotic items popping in and out of the market, IMHO timing is an essential ingredient of success.
DarkSoft second batch comes out first… then I’ll buy this flashcart.
NeoSD Pro comes out first… I’ll buy that flashcart.
Both indefinitely delay? Then I’ll buy the basic NeoSD.
You can’t buy unobtanium.

Locutus73

Last edited:
If we sell something with bug and we have to recall it, did you think that we gain something at the end?

We are working a lot for this products and their release, from the prototype to the final shipment, if something goes wrong we lose money

The Second batch will be ready when all the bug are correct, doesn't matter if someone else make another product first, Darksoft and all his team try to give the best experience, not the fastest one

If we sell something with bug and we have to recall it, did you think that we gain something at the end?

We are working a lot for this products and their release, from the prototype to the final shipment, if something goes wrong we lose money

The Second batch will be ready when all the bug are correct, doesn't matter if someone else make another product first, Darksoft and all his team try to give the best experience, not the fastest one
I agree with you 100% that you have to resolve bugs before second batch both for customers respect and for not loosing money.
My “timing is an essential ingredient of success“ argument remains and it’s especially valid on a small vertical market like this where the demand is quite small (but hardcore) and can be fulfilled quickly.

Locutus73

People have waited some years for something like that, this is not a new cell phone, you can buy what you want or the fastest on the market is not a problem. Darksoft have created a community of people that loves his products because they work better than the others one, time is important in others market not here.

The Neo Geo Multi userbase is large enough to handle more that one Multicart.
I feel that being first to market worked, but then building on that to make a upgraded version so soon didn't work, now the buyers waits to see whats coming next, sells must have stalled!
I'm just waiting for a price drop for the NeoSD to shift stock ( may get one )
I also feel people will wait for the right Multicart ( whatever route they take ) If your after a quick fix just get a 161-1 untill the next upgrade or batch is out. I hope you don't rush in just because of time! ( i watched this fourm and others for a while before making my choice,and like others DSMulti users i'm more than happy with my cart )

I finally went with DS after reading in the forums about the work he put into the updates and firmware for his other Multi Boards and how happy the end users were.

You pay your money so only you can make that choice.

I admire the fact that they're dedicated to ironing the bugs out before putting out another batch. I believe one of the currently open bugs will be addressed soon by @Darksoft so we're getting there :)

Time is always a factor. Everywhere. Like a very wise man once said: "Time is the fire in which we burn".

I bought the Multi because it was available for preorder when I decided to buy a MVS flashcart. I got the NeoSD AES and got the MVS from DS because I like his older projects and was always happy with them.
But the simple truth is... if I couldn't buy it I would have looked for something else.

Also to be hones I am a bit puzzled about this "waiting until it is fixed" thing. I mean... either it is a software solution then it can be used by new adopters just like it can be by us first timers.
And if it is a hardware solution.... well I guess then it is either an easy fix or I know 200 very pissed people.

Sure... better 200 pissed people than 400..... I dont like where this train of thought leads ;(

People have waited some years for something like that, this is not a new cell phone, you can buy what you want or the fastest on the market is not a problem.
Yep, cellphone market is completely different.
My point was: if I was you, I’d try my best to correct bugs and be the first on the market. Not saying you aren’t… just saying.
Anyway, that’s your business, you’re investing (and risking) your time and your money so you’re entitled to follow your strategies.

Darksoft have created a community of people that loves his products because they work better than the others one, time is important in others market not here.
Community is an interesting point. I didn’t see such a fanboyism level as the one in NeoGeo scene since eons. I mean, I like it here since we can discuss safely without much drama (yeah, apart getting a downvote while discussing politely), but… I don’t get the high level of stress in the NeoGeo community in general. Anyway, sometimes I find funny and entertaining all “teh dramah” over there, but you get the point.

The Neo Geo Multi userbase is large enough to handle more that one Multicart.
I feel that being first to market worked, but then building on that to make a upgraded version so soon didn't work, now the buyers waits to see whats coming next, sells must have stalled!
I don’t know, I mean: this new gen of NeoGeo multicarts (DS and NSD Pro) are enough different from the first gen (NSD) to somehow justify an upgrade, but, let’s be honest, DS and NSD Pro, feature wise, don’t differentiate enough in order to indefinitely wait for one skipping the other just because one is much much better. IMHO timing (and lack of bugs) will be essential winning factors this round. A next generation will be relevant only with near zero loading times (like SD2SNES)… always IMHO and my 2 cents.

I also feel people will wait for the right Multicart ( whatever route they take ) If your after a quick fix just get a 161-1 untill the next upgrade or batch is out. I hope you don't rush in just because of time! ( i watched this fourm and others for a while before making my choice,and like others DSMulti users i'm more than happy with my cart )
Honestly, I don’t own a NeoGeo yet… and that’s the point. I’m finding difficulties sourcing all I need. I waited for the OSSC to be available, I waited for the NeoBiosMasta VMC to be available, I waited for Unibios to be available (Raz felt sick and suspended selling it)… everything is difficult to source in the NeoGeo scene and in the retrogaming scene in general. Now I’m waiting for a good Supergun or a good CMVS to be available… and for a good multicart. I’m pretty convinced that, in this field, if you need something and that’s available, it’s better to run. Honestly I’m not even sure NeoSD Pro will see the light since recent issues (same for any future retro gaming product). Nowadays I’m more into a I see it here, I put my money on it attitude.

I finally went with DS after reading in the forums about the work he put into the updates and firmware for his other Multi Boards and how happy the end users were.
Honestly, I see some problems here (DarkSoft) and some problems there (Terraonion)… all normal and regular stuff for small business semi-amateur projects (we're not talking about Apple)… and much much drama. The only things I find difficult to source are unbiased opinions and reviews. Anyway, I find this place quite relaxed and helpful.

You pay your money so only you can make that choice.
Amen bro'!

I admire the fact that they're dedicated to ironing the bugs out before putting out another batch. I believe one of the currently open bugs will be addressed soon by @Darksoft so we're getting there :)
We will see... here in Italy we say "Time is a gentleman".

Locutus73

As an Engineer in my past life, I appreciate all the hard work and dedication that Mistu and Dark put into this project.

They spend time on reading the specs, writing the Verilog/VHDL and then onto the board design. Dark has to make sure his static timing is done correctly so that the signals arrive on the right clock cycle and in spec. He has to account for meta-stability and buffer inputs and outputs.
This is not small task and he is a pretty smart dude.

Not only that but they support the products after release.

I'm A.OK waiting for a revision fix before the AES or MVS batch 2 comes out.
It is good for us and it is good for their brand.
These guys do more for the community than many other projects.

I respect and will patiently wait for my chance to purchase the flashcart.

Thanks, guys!

Back