What's new

Evan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently came into possession of a lot of broken mvs carts. Some of these definitely have damaged roms. I was wondering if anyone had reccomensarions for an eeprom programmer to work on with neo Geo stuff? Also how do you know what type of ic to buy to program certain roms? Thanks.

+1 for the Wellon VP-598.

As for the types of EPROMs to use, it depends on the game and which ROMs need replacement.
Sounds good! I think I’ll get that model. Also about the type of chip, imma soon post a thread of all the carts and their issues along with the suspected problem chips. Hopefully that’ll clear it up.

One caveat with the VP-598, you have to turn off driver signing in Windows to get the USB:serial driver working correctly. Other than that, it's solid. The TL866ii+ is another way to go, and can often be found really cheap. But, you will need an adapter for the larger 1-4MB EPROMs.

https://digicoolthings.com/usage-guide-for-tl866-programmer-adapter-for-27c400-800-160-322/

The adapters are an open source design and can be found for under $15 if you hunt around and are willing to assemble them yourself.

I've used the above to do some MVS board repairs: https://www.arcade-projects.com/thr...ridge-bomberman-conversion-or-repaired.24471/

One caveat with the VP-598, you have to turn off driver signing in Windows to get the USB:serial driver working correctly. Other than that, it's solid. The TL866ii+ is another way to go, and can often be found really cheap. But, you will need an adapter for the larger 1-4MB EPROMs.

I steer people away from using the TL866ii+ with the adapter for the large EPROMs because you have to split each file you want to write into chunks and then write them to the EPROM one chunk at a time, incrementing the dial on the adapter with each chunk. It's slow and error-prone.

Better to just spend a little more upfront on a better programmer and save yourself the hassle - especially considering that most of the arcade Multis and Neo Geo carts you'd want to buy a programmer for use those large EPROMs.

The Sega System 16 Multi for example uses 15 27C322 EPROMs. Each 27C322 EPROM file has to be broken into 8 chunks with the TL866ii+. 15 * 8 = 120 individual chunks you have to write to program 15 EPROMs - you'll be there forever! :D

I steer people away from using the TL866ii+ with the adapter for the large EPROMs because you have to split each file you want to write into chunks and then write them to the EPROM one chunk at a time, incrementing the dial on the adapter with each chunk. It's slow and error-prone.
This. I only own one because my TOP programmers can't check 74LS logic chips.

Better to just spend a little more upfront on a better programmer and save yourself the hassle - especially considering that most of the arcade Multis and Neo Geo carts you'd want to buy a programmer for use those large EPROMs.

The Sega System 16 Multi for example uses 15 27C322 EPROMs. Each 27C322 EPROM file has to be broken into 8 chunks with the TL866ii+. 15 * 8 = 120 individual chunks you have to write to program 15 EPROMs - you'll be there forever! :D

Yup, it's a pain... but it's cheap. Cheap, fast, good. You only get to pick two.

https://digicoolthings.com/usage-guide-for-tl866-programmer-adapter-for-27c400-800-160-322/

The adapters are an open source design and can be found for under $15 if you hunt around and are willing to assemble them yourself.

I've used the above to do some MVS board repairs: https://www.arcade-projects.com/thr...ridge-bomberman-conversion-or-repaired.24471/
I was able to get a VP-598 for only $100 so I'm happy with that. Wating now for my chip eraser and the chips themselves to come in. With driver signing it shouldn't be too bad as I work on 360 stuff all the time and you have to turn on driver signing there. Also what software do you recommend. I have heard top win 5 & 6 are good.

I was able to get a VP-598 for only $100 so I'm happy with that. Wating now for my chip eraser and the chips themselves to come in. With driver signing it shouldn't be too bad as I work on 360 stuff all the time and you have to turn on driver signing there. Also what software do you recommend. I have heard top win 5 & 6 are good.

A good eprom eraser can save a lot of time. I managed to snag a LEAP ELECTRONIC Model LER-121A awhile back, highly recommended if you can find one.

Back