What's new

Talion

Student
Reaction score
Hello, I recently bought this game and when reviewing it I see that it has some graphical glitches (the red IGS logo is not visible and there are two black rectangles that can be seen during the presentation, there are also some graphical glitches in the power bars)

As background I tried with 2 different motherboards (they don't have problems with other games) and with 3 different cboxes.

I would appreciate any help.

Attachments

• IMG_3318.jpeg
    IMG_3318.jpeg
    196.5 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_3320.jpeg
    IMG_3320.jpeg
    206.3 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_3321.jpeg
    IMG_3321.jpeg
    199.2 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_3325.jpeg
    IMG_3325.jpeg
    271.2 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_3326.jpeg
    IMG_3326.jpeg
    291.4 KB · Views: 64
I would appreciate any help. As background I have noticed that at times the glitches are practically not visible, but if I move completely to the right of the screen (below the screen if I consider that my TV is not vertical) the errors appear (mainly bars and score) ;(

ps: I have also noticed that on the test menu the operator settings option dont show anything (sound is heard when moving the control but nothing is displayed on the screen)

Last edited:
So the cart works FINE in the other 2 motherboards?? (so its not a cart fault?)

Trying to see were the fault is....

So the cart works FINE in the other 2 motherboards?? (so its not a cart fault?)

Trying to see were the fault is....

The game works with those glitches on both motherboards, only that the errors become more or less visible depending on which side of the screen I move the spaceship to ((when moving to the left side of the screen graphic glitches are barely visible, but when moving all the way to the right side the errors appear, mainly in the score numbers and the upper bars and one of the lower bars)

PS: I tested with 2 mobo and 3 different cbox.

Last edited:
So thats the cart then. Its odd as black boxes with missing sprites normally means the data for them can not be read. BUT the IGS logo is stored in the BIOS chip. Not the cart. and you said the other 2 mobos give the same result. So i doubt you have 3 mobos all with a faulty bios.
Maybe its a i/o bus conflict or somthing like that

When you boot the 3 mobos with NO cart installed. I presume the IGS boot red logo can be seen? Its ONLY when the cart is inserted.. that the red IGS logo does Not appear? (And shows the black squares instead)

So thats the cart then. Its odd as black boxes with missing sprites normally means the data for them can not be read. BUT the IGS logo is stored in the BIOS chip. Not the cart. and you said the other 2 mobos give the same result. So i doubt you have 3 mobos all with a faulty bios.
Maybe its a i/o bus conflict or somthing like that

When you boot the 3 mobos with NO cart installed. I presume the IGS boot red logo can be seen? Its ONLY when the cart is inserted.. that the red IGS logo does Not appear? (And shows the black squares instead)

Sure enough, when booting motherboards without a game (or with any of my other PGM games) the red IGS logo displays without a problem, but when booting the motherboard with DoDonpachi II inside you only see a faint red square where the IGS logo should be.

PS: Also, with the game inserted, the test menu options are visible, but nothing is visible in the "operator settings" (i mean inside the "opoerator settings" option).

Did you clean the cartridge contacts with isopropyl alcohol?

I have tried, but without positive results (although the game looks quite clean in my opinion) ;(

Attachments

• IMG_3394.jpeg
    IMG_3394.jpeg
    250.4 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_3393.jpeg
    IMG_3393.jpeg
    300.4 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_3392.jpeg
    IMG_3392.jpeg
    260.4 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_3391.jpeg
    IMG_3391.jpeg
    364.8 KB · Views: 49
I presume you have a different game cart that works fine?? Can you take the non working game and swap out one of the PCBs from a working game? Then put them in the pgm motherboard. The game won't run properly cos the wrong board set. BUT it will let you boot the system and see if the PGM boot IGS displays properly. That way you can find out which pcb of the faulty game is causing the IGS not to appear on boot.

I presume you have a different game cart that works fine?? Can you take the non working game and swap out one of the PCBs from a working game? Then put them in the pgm motherboard. The game won't run properly cos the wrong board set. BUT it will let you boot the system and see if the PGM boot IGS displays properly. That way you can find out which pcb of the faulty game is causing the IGS not to appear on boot.

Thanks for the help. I did the test and this is the PCB that makes the IGS logo look wrong during game startup.

Attachments

• IMG_3391.jpeg
    IMG_3391.jpeg
    364.8 KB · Views: 48
Those 2 PAL/GALs don't look right / original. Let me check my web page for the pcb scans.... http://igspgm.com/pcb/bee_storm/BS_BOTTOM_1.jpg

I think this cart has be repaired? or something as the Pal/Gal should have a sticker on it. Plus i have never seen a ICT brand pal/gal on a pgm cart.

Those 2 PAL/GALs don't look right / original. Let me check my web page for the pcb scans.... http://igspgm.com/pcb/bee_storm/BS_BOTTOM_1.jpg

I think this cart has be repaired? or something as the Pal/Gal should have a sticker on it. Plus i have never seen a ICT brand pal/gal on a pgm cart.

Hmm I guess it must have been repaired in the past and I would need an eeprom programmer to check those ICs, sadly I don't have one (bought a TP3000 but I don't think it's coming anytime soon). I guess I'll have to look at the possibility of sending the game back for the vendor to check the PCBs, though I wanted to avoid that if possible ||

It clear the cart pcb is NOT in an original form. Were did you buy the cart from??

Bugger... Ali returns don't always go well :( If you need more help let me know. My PGM Discord server is helpful as well.

Bugger... Ali returns don't always go well :( If you need more help let me know. My PGM Discord server is helpful as well.

Thank you very much for your help, I'll see how it goes, if I'm not lucky I'll be asking for help again :D

PS: The game I bought came with the artwork, if you don't have it I can take some pictures for your PGM web page.

Back