What's new
Is this thread still the best place to check for IDE DVD-ROM drives for System246 or is there a new thread somewhere? Thank you!

Just purchased this guy off ebay - LG Electronics GDR-8163B - to try with Tekken 4

1715737863611.png

Last edited:
This is the thread to say if it worked or not, and on particularly difficult games like Tekken 4.... does it?

This is the thread to say if it worked or not, and on particularly difficult games like Tekken 4.... does it?

I'll let you know when I receive it, just wasn't sure since no posts in a while. I'm in Anaheim fyi if you ever have anything up for sale. Thank you!

Tekken 4 is difficult because it expects a drive that does not stop the disc ever. Due to US EPA's "Energy Star" program requirements all modern DVD ROM drives stop the disc if no access is performed within a set interval in seconds. Tekken 4 does not attempt to read the disc during the demonstration giving the drive enough time for it to enter energy saving mode and that mean it stops the disc. When Tekken 4 requests more data to playback the volcano movie at the next attract cycle the drive takes too long to respond because the disc is stopped. The game gives up and stalls.

Back