What's new
Don't remember if I posted on this thread or not... but I'm still in if there is a chance of them being made

To my extreme dismay... Wasn't the board connector part of the issue?Like we would be required to sac a real Naomi cart at minimum (perhaps even a specific one like Melty Blood for a larger/more flexible address/load space)?
No, as twistedsymphony said, it is an OMRON XH3 connector: Converting GDROM NAOMI games to cart.

As Brizzo says, the parts costs for an M4 cartridge may make that path uneconomical: Converting GDROM NAOMI games to cart.
The controller required to interface the cartridge is the problem here. Each cartridge is controlled similar to a IDE block device.

There is a simpler cartridge type, that could be manufactured cheaper: Converting GDROM NAOMI games to cart.
Unfortunately the bus connection for that is not documented properly, yet. Somebody on the assembler forum traced the connections from the motherboard, but you need to know how they actually connect to the chips on the cartridge.

I've got a derby owners club, which is a later cartridge. I was planning to crack it open to check if anything is connected to the unknown bus, but so far didn't have time. I'll have to take the connectors apart, which is apparently a fiddly procedure.

One option would be a daughter board that slots into the IC22 socket, and which grabs the higher address lines from the other footprints. You could then use the controller of the original cartridge, and connect to a dumb memory-only board.

I'm in for at least 1, maybe up to 3 flash carts.

Please add me to the list!
Thanks.

this project is going to be really helpful.

i just got to assemble a full netdimm set for my naomi and i tested a few games using a naochitri from ebay.
after completing a game of slashout and reset my naomi to choose a new game, i can't load anymore new games.
i tried diagnosing the netdimm for any errors in the test mode but it checks out fine. the naomi can play my cart games so it's working.
i notice the lan port on the naochitri doesn't keep flashing continuously anymore. i dont know how to see whether its the netdimm or naochitri is faulty.

i really hope this naomi flashcart project is real as i am sick of the netbooting method. spent so much money to be unable to use it after a few hours.

i just got to assemble a full netdimm set for my naomi and i tested a few games using a naochitri from ebay.
after completing a game of slashout and reset my naomi to choose a new game, i can't load anymore new games.
i tried diagnosing the netdimm for any errors in the test mode but it checks out fine. the naomi can play my cart games so it's working.
i notice the lan port on the naochitri doesn't keep flashing continuously anymore. i dont know how to see whether its the netdimm or naochitri is faulty.

i really hope this naomi flashcart project is real as i am sick of the netbooting method. spent so much money to be unable to use it after a few hours.
I googled this thing you bought, it seems to be Jörg's. I'd just contact him (arcademodbios) for support.

Looking at the price the Net DIMM is reaching... absolutely yes. At the right price of course.

I looked into the netdimm stuff but it seemed like too much of a hassle. Plus the boards of course, shot way up in price. I would deffinately buy a Darksoft multi for NAOMI.

Have you tried disconnecting the rechargeable battery in the netdimm (if there is one)? I've had a similar issue with mine (I'm running an r-pi as a net booting device) - my first load booted the first game fine and then it refused to boot any other game. I tested the netdimm board in test mode and all ok but it still refused to load any other games (not sure if there were error messages too, was a while ago). I then disconnected the netdimm battery et voila, no problems ever since.

I think so. I got netbooting working a while back but have had all my Naomi stuff in a box for a while. All the crap I did to get that working was a pain and took a while. I had a friend helping me so I don’t even know if I could get it running again without his help. Anyway a better solution would be very cool so I hope it comes to fruition.

I think so. I got netbooting working a while back but have had all my Naomi stuff in a box for a while. All the crap I did to get that working was a pain and took a while. I had a friend helping me so I don’t even know if I could get it running again without his help. Anyway a better solution would be very cool so I hope it comes to fruition.
While it is a lot of crap, it's basically a pretty simple setup with a lot of parts...

And to me, the amount of kick ass games on the system totally makes up for the setup hassle. Which is basically just a learning curve on how it all works.

I love my NAOMI.

But yes, someone could make a lot of money by selling one of these!

:D

I bought a non-working NAOMI2 I plan to fix. Should've had it next week but Japan Post cancelled all EMS and airmail to Oz from yesterday. Got canellation emails yesterday 2.

I hope it is a simple fix and that I have a dirt cheap N2 out of it. I looked into the netboot stuff again now that I have bought a system and decided it is not THAT bad. But I would prefer that Darksoft quality multi ;)

Back