What's new

evan1

Student
Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm going through my inventory of CPS2 chips that I bought from an Alibaba vendor that had a good stock of cps2 chips available, and I thought of maybe doing a group buy of CPS-B21's so that we'd at least be able to get them circulating through the community rather than in an unknown location since that chip seems to be useful on both CPS1 and CPS2.

They don't have a lot though, only 7 left, but that's the only vendor that's reliably had a good variety of chips available.

Just posting to see if there is interest to do something like this.

How much would it be?
An alternative is buying dead boards, especially CPS2, very rarely are they bad pulls.

How much would it be?
An alternative is buying dead boards, especially CPS2, very rarely are they bad pulls.
Around $35 USD last time I bought, which is much cheaper than finding a dead board,

Hum, yes and no. You can easily get a broken A board for $50 and if you're lucky there's a lot more than the B chip to pull from it.
But yeah, nothing guaranted and could also very well be an overvolted board with most chips completely fried.

Just my 2c, I imagine soon $35 for those chips will be considered a steal.

Hum, yes and no. You can easily get a broken A board for $50 and if you're lucky there's a lot more than the B chip to pull from it.
But yeah, nothing guaranted and could also very well be an overvolted board with most chips completely fried.

Just my 2c, I imagine soon $35 for those chips will be considered a steal.
The problem with that though is that you're now taking existing boards out of circulation. Or a board that could've been used for something else.

The problem with that though is that you're now taking existing boards out of circulation. Or a board that could've been used for something else.

Who wants to repair them? I'll do some work on them like replacing the 3 dead tactile switches, but I don't have a good source for the europin connectors to undo battery damage... I'm also not going to try to fix horribly corroded edge connectors. To me these represent a Q-Sound chip to sell to someone wanting an original for their multi, a CPS-A-01 chip to fix a CPS-1 A board and bring life back to them, and a CPS-B-21 chip to bring life back to yet another CPS-1 A board. I'll also use the Z80 to fix a Neo Geo with a Z80 Error or a CPS-1 board that has no sound. Sometimes I'll even use parts off of one to fix another CPS-2 A board that some idjit connected up to a monitor that required an ISO transformer, but didn't use one and fried the video output stage.

Who wants to repair them? I'll do some work on them like replacing the 3 dead tactile switches, but I don't have a good source for the europin connectors to undo battery damage... I'm also not going to try to fix horribly corroded edge connectors. To me these represent a Q-Sound chip to sell to someone wanting an original for their multi, a CPS-A-01 chip to fix a CPS-1 A board and bring life back to them, and a CPS-B-21 chip to bring life back to yet another CPS-1 A board. I'll also use the Z80 to fix a Neo Geo with a Z80 Error or a CPS-1 board that has no sound. Sometimes I'll even use parts off of one to fix another CPS-2 A board that some idjit connected up to a monitor that required an ISO transformer, but didn't use one and fried the video output stage.

I guess my whole thought process behind this is to put broken boards back into circulation without having to salvage stuff from another board. This way you are net positive.

I guess my whole thought process behind this is to put broken boards back into circulation without having to salvage stuff from another board. This way you are net positive.
That's a good plan too.

Back