What's new
Can we make sure games like Magician Lord where the AES version is more feature complete are included on the multi?

Can we make sure games like Magician Lord where the AES version is more feature complete are included on the multi?
Please see a few posts above you here. There aren't different AES and MVS roms. How they load up is dependent on what you put them in. Just like how the same MVS cart will have red blood with one region's BIOS and green blood with a different region BIOS.

Unibios can set games to AES mode (but I have no personal experience with this, so I can't comment on it really). But that's an entirely different product/not cart related.

Please see a few posts above you here. There aren't different AES and MVS roms. How they load up is dependent on what you put them in. Just like how the same MVS cart will have red blood with one region's BIOS and green blood with a different region BIOS.

Unibios can set games to AES mode (but I have no personal experience with this, so I can't comment on it really). But that's an entirely different product/not cart related.
There are actually rom differences for Magician Lord. I believe this is the only game that does this (MVS rom is different from the AES rom).

There are actually rom differences for Magician Lord. I believe this is the only game that does this (MVS rom is different from the AES rom).
Huh .. he's right!
Screenshot_20231106-081856.png

I never knew this.

Today I've learned something!

I can't imagine it can just be slapped on an MVS cart and work as-is though?

Today I've learned something!

I can't imagine it can just be slapped on an MVS cart and work as-is though?
IIRC it’s like Shock Troopers where there is a “Rev A” and “Rev B” program code. You can use either version on AES or MVS without problems. It shares all other assets just the program ROM has changed code.

Speaking of which both Shock Troopers versions would be good to include. One is a shared life bar version and one is a separate life bar version.

Speaking of which both Shock Troopers versions would be good to include. One is a shared life bar version and one is a separate life bar version.
We're starting to feature creep here with additional versions of multiple games. Only so much space! It sure would be nice though. We'll see what fits beyond the original scope.

We're starting to feature creep here with additional versions of multiple games. Only so much space! It sure would be nice though. We'll see what fits beyond the original scope.
True, but I vote for the ML with the intro if you only do one. It will work on both systems as long as you use the correct ROM.

That being said, I think we’re talking very few dupes, so the final list would be nice to include them, but I’m not sure of the total space of course.

True, but I vote for the ML with the intro if you only do one. It will work on both systems as long as you use the correct ROM.
If someone points me to the right one, I'll make sure and use that one.

I’m not sure of the total space of course.
This is why I want to avoid the creep, ha. If everything fits, great, but if it doesn't, I don't want constantly changing expectations, y'know?

Everyone chill and let the man make the carts. There are 160 other games besides ML to play 😉

Caught up again. If you've paid a deposit, your cart's been ordered. Everything is in the spreadsheet now.

Waiting on carts to start showing up, and female connectors for the daughterboards. Probably be a bit of waiting now.

You guys are joking but no one wants a $300 all in one that is missing some games. If there is room, they need to be included!

You guys are joking but no one wants a $300 all in one that is missing some games. If there is room, they need to be included!
But it isn't missing games. It just doesn't have every individual revision of every game. Which was not in the original scope or promised anyway, but I am willing to do what I can if I can.

I dont disagree. But at least for me, if we can get the best curated version of the ROM and put that in there, then I'm good.

For example the Metal Slug 2(?) turbo, Id rather have that than the standard Slug 2 at all. Id prefer the 'complete' version of Magician Lord and would forego the MVS version if possible.

I mean if that doesnt happen, as long as I get the bulk of the games (sans Mahjong, quiz games, etc) then I'm ok with the 'missing' extras. But yeah if the original needs to be replaced with a better more complete version of the ROM I'm all for it.

For the record, both MS2 original and turbo will be on there. People are highly opinionated about this one and it was already planned, promised, and fits.

I'll spend some time today between work bits and see if I can't find the ML rom everyone keeps referencing (but no one will point me to :() and boot it up in mame and see what it does on MVS hardware.

Ill try to find the ROM as well. I honestly had no idea that was even a thing. If I find it I'll shoot you a msg.

Back