What's new

24movements

Student
Reaction score
Hey all.
I just got my wells guardner k7500 working again by looking at trouble shooting documents, and replacing the components recommended.

While looking around, it appears the previous owner/repairman added resistors, jumpers, and other components that look like they don't belong there/look like they were added to bypass or patch problems.

In no sense am I a electric engineer or anything of the sort. So I have no clue what these additions are doing.

So, is it worth trying to replace all the components referencing the models parts list just to get rid of the "patch work", or am i taking on too much risk on breaking it or other unforseeable problems?

Factory modifications on low-production number products like arcade equipment is VERY common.

Consider if they made a few hundred monitors and then discovered that there was an error in the circuit design. rather than throw all that away they'd simply "re-work" those few hundred monitors to resolve the issue. Compared to if apple makes a few million phones a year and discovers an error in a few hundred, they can afford to just trash those and make new ones, and it's probably cheaper to do that then spend the time fixing them. A company like WG would go out of business if they did that.

I've seen lots of people take a perfectly working board and break it because they thought they were removing someone else's modification.

As the saying goes "if it's not broken, don't fix it"

Back