What's new

HornheaDD

Professional
Reaction score
I've got a Dreamcast that is set up for JAMMA, but it still requires outside power (Its an MGCD). Is there a way to 'plug in' the Dreamcast in the cab somehow?

I know Ive seen threads here and other places that talk about powering a RasPi, or whatever but obviously a Dreamcast is quite a bit different. Does anyone know if this is doable?

The less strain you put on a PSU the better. I would strongly suggest just powering the Dreamcast externally.

I'd agree. Externally power your console.

I use a 360 in mine and the back plate is a God send as you can easily power things externally

Dreamcast PSU has 3.3v, 5v, 12v
If your arcade supply runs that, you could remove the internal PSU and wire it up.

You could tap the AC power entry lines (Hot, Neutral, Ground) and install a single outlet receptacle inside your cab. I've seen people do that for connecting consoles/PC internally.
Blast city will let you feed AC(N) and AC(L) out CN13 on the io board natively. I have a plug connected to mine, but you have to run earth ground separately if you need it. Make sure your AC level is what your console PSU needs. Lemony sells some https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/harnesses-and-other-adapters-by-lemony-vengeance.8101/

Wait.. so

Which one is better - not running it at all, or getting one of LV's cables? Sorry, Im a n00b with this cab and I dont want to blow it up.

I keep forgetting about that pass through in the blast.

That being said, we're 240v here so it makes that pass through not easy for us since my blast is wired to an external step down

In the USA the AC pass through is an easy option. I assume you run your blast with AC directly from the wall. If you happen to use a step down then you’d be feeding your Dreamcast psu 100v, which still might be OK. Just check.

That's correct. I mean, I do have it connected to a power strip, which has another cab, and currently the MGCD plugged into it. But for all intents and purposes, yes it's basically powered directly from the wall.

Yeah you’re fine with tapping the AC with that passthrough. You won’t be putting load on your PSU that way because it’s coming straight from the wall outlet.

Is it ok to run the psu in the blast without a load? I guess the sound amp puts enough of a load.

Doesn’t the mgcd pcb draw power anyway? It’s just the Dreamcast unit that takes separate power

Back