What's new
knTpeUj.jpg

I had seen an old sales thread on KLOV about replacing the KI2 hard drive with an IDE DOM, as well as post by @acblunden2 considering a DIY version, and thought, 'Well, I already have half the parts, let's give it a try.' I particularly like having the DOM on this board since it's shorter than one of the heatsyncs, and doesn't stick off the edge of the board like the CF adapter I have. I've only played a bit but didn't notice any unusual behavior vs my hard drive (though I'm admittedly not that discerning when it comes to this particular game).

In case you want to reproduce this, I used a USB-IDE adapter, some gender changing pins, a 44 pin DOM I picked up off eBay, and good old diskpart and chdman.exe. I assume you already have a CDH and the boot rom done. The process is identical to creating a CF card, but here you go:

1. connect DOM to windows10 laptop via the USB-IDE adapter and gender changing pins
2. run cmd.exe with administrator permissions
3. at command prompt, type "diskpart" enter
4. type "list disk"
5. look at the list for the DOM, mine was "DISK 1"
6. type "select disk 1" with the '1' being wherever your DOM is
7. type "clean"
8. type "exit"
9. cd over to wherever your chd is (instructions here to make a chd, or just find one online...)
10. type "chdman extracthd -i kinst2.chd -o \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE1 -f" (again with the 1 being the drive number from diskpart)

That's it, plug it in the board.
Promptly lose to the computer, hit test mode and adjust the difficulty. Lose again. How do you combo again?
Plug in SF2CE...

edit: yes I can make you one. PM me to coordinate.
Do you need to change the program rom for this to work?

I really like that this doesn't stick out like a CF card solution :)

Yes, you need a program rom with some hard drive security checks disabled.

The 40 pins connector next to the 44 pin one can be used to install a normal ide harddrive or compact flash solution.
Some of those compact flash adapters simply plug in the ide connector and also stand vertically on the pcb.

A compact flash solution is usually cheaper than a DOM one, unless you can find the DOM cheaply on ebay or aliexpress.

My bad. He made another more recent post selling the DOM, which he says doesn't need the modified boot ROM.

I messaged him about this, but he didn't reply.

It’s probably not the chd image that’s different. I bet it’s just that the specific DOM he’s using supports resizing to the original drive’s geometry. If you can find those DOMs then you could try using hdat2 setmax to whatever the original was. I’ll ask him, maybe he’ll tell me

May have just found it anyway. Honestly making it work for KI isn’t interesting to me but I wanna give it a shot for Wargods. I’ll see if I can source one and test

I cannot add to this discussion on the technical side, but am curious if you are able to make a less expensive kit when it's all said and done.

Also, "gender changing pins", what is this, The Last of Us Part II?!?!

Most likely its a modified DOM that has the Drive Serial # / Model Modified to match the security checks in U98... still just easier to burn a U98 and then program a flash drive.. they are easy to get / find.

Attachments

• 106775468_282473599624845_3623190037171262875_n.jpg
    106775468_282473599624845_3623190037171262875_n.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 151
those old ssd's/dom's are terrible - they are so slow!
i have a couple somewhere from old HP thin-client pc's
even the worst compact-flash cards are faster!

It does matter. Faster speed will result in faster startup times. For an arcade operator this isn't very important, but for your home console it's a nice bonus.

Right next to the 44 pin connector, there are solder pads for a 40 pin ide connector. If you solder a 40 pin header in there you can connect any ide harddrive (if you change the U98 eprom) A compact flash card with ide adapter works fine as well. No need to find a slow overpriced DOM.

Anyone know what the bus speed is on these old boards? The spec on the DOM I’m trying is 39 MB/s, and I like the minimal form factor.

It does matter. Faster speed will result in faster startup times. For an arcade operator this isn't very important, but for your home console it's a nice bonus.

Right next to the 44 pin connector, there are solder pads for a 40 pin ide connector. If you solder a 40 pin header in there you can connect any ide harddrive (if you change the U98 eprom) A compact flash card with ide adapter works fine as well. No need to find a slow overpriced DOM.
KI loads the same speed no matter what you use as did most arcade boards because that's how they're programmed

that's not true,
even if the transfer rate is bottlenecked by the board, you shorten or eliminate the seek periods.

Yes but they’re literally programmed to retrieve certain data at certain times. Best case scenario you load a fight slightly faster after the face off screen.

This is the same reason a SCSI2SD doesn’t load CPS3 SIMMS faster.

I can't get Windows to recognise any of my DOMs :(
from an administrator command prompt, they don't show up using diskpart? usually if I can't seem them there, they're plugged into my adapter backwards, or the cheap usb/adatper thing is just loose somewhere.

Back