What's new
windows has always been shit, download a linux livedisk with GParted on it.

as a mame dumper one of the worst things about windows is if you connect a FAT formatted drive it will fuck with it without asking.
like creating a trashcan on it!

this can trip checksum errors in the game!

I can't get Windows to recognise any of my DOMs :(
from an administrator command prompt, they don't show up using diskpart? usually if I can't seem them there, they're plugged into my adapter backwards, or the cheap usb/adatper thing is just loose somewhere.
The usb device shows up as a removable device, but the actual media isn't present. Is it possible my gender changer pins are a bit crap?

I couldn't get the ones you had in the link.

mine don’t show up in windows, i.e. as a “D:” drive in Windows Explorer. they’re probably not formatted for that to start. You have to use diskpart in the command line with administrative permissions, and clean them there. even after they are clean I just use chdman from command line to build the KI drive, and that drive also won’t show up in windows.

you can see them as connected in Windows Disk Management tool, though also as un-formatted.

But if you are looking in diskpart, and see nothing, keep in mind there is also no key pin in the gender changer so it’s easy to plug in the dom backwards.

When I try to clean it in diskpart, it says the media isn't present.

Disk management just shows removable device with no unformatted drive plugged in.

window$ considers anything that isnt FAT or NTFS unformatted.

This was the only way I could get windows to recognise the DOM:

s-l400.jpg

Ordered from aliexpress.

Used this dom which is nice and flat:

2GB DOM on eBay

so, i been doing speed tests with this "HORRIBLE" modules i posted earlier.. Turns out, READ speed is Faster then a Compact Flash Card.. Write speed, about 80 % ... but ready is about 20% faster.

I am sure this will depend upon the flash card you tested with. Modern flash cards support up to udma 7 I have seen read speeds of 60MB / sec.
I doubt the ki pcb is using udma transfer modes so such a card would be overkill.

No word from arcadecup... no luck with several modules I’ve tried so far. someone find me a DOM that allows the SetMaxAddress command with hdat2 :thumbsup: I wanna try it with wargods

Someone has figured out how to run this on a DOM without the U98 any IDE ROM.

https://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=210089

Is the image a secret?
I believe this method was used by arcadecup to make the DOM without using an any IDE boot rom, though I haven't tried it for KI or KI2 yet. I have no motivation to do that either, but wanted to post it here in case someone wanted to test. Only difference is that I think KI and KI2's IDE connectors are keyed properly so you don't need to modify that in the last step.

Wargods CF and Boot Rom

knTpeUj.jpg

I had seen an old sales thread on KLOV about replacing the KI2 hard drive with an IDE DOM, as well as post by @acblunden2 considering a DIY version, and thought, 'Well, I already have half the parts, let's give it a try.' I particularly like having the DOM on this board since it's shorter than one of the heatsyncs, and doesn't stick off the edge of the board like the CF adapter I have. I've only played a bit but didn't notice any unusual behavior vs my hard drive (though I'm admittedly not that discerning when it comes to this particular game).

In case you want to reproduce this, I used a USB-IDE adapter, some gender changing pins, a 44 pin DOM I picked up off eBay, and good old diskpart and chdman.exe. I assume you already have a CDH and the boot rom done. The process is identical to creating a CF card, but here you go:

1. connect DOM to windows10 laptop via the USB-IDE adapter and gender changing pins
2. run cmd.exe with administrator permissions
3. at command prompt, type "diskpart" enter
4. type "list disk"
5. look at the list for the DOM, mine was "DISK 1"
6. type "select disk 1" with the '1' being wherever your DOM is
7. type "clean"
8. type "exit"
9. cd over to wherever your chd is (instructions here to make a chd, or just find one online...)
10. type "chdman extracthd -i kinst2.chd -o \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE1 -f" (again with the 1 being the drive number from diskpart)

That's it, plug it in the board.
Promptly lose to the computer, hit test mode and adjust the difficulty. Lose again. How do you combo again?
Plug in SF2CE...

edit: yes I can make you one. PM me to coordinate.
thanks for posting this, was having issues with that CDH. needed something a little more secure for what I'm doing.

@hocuslocus glad you found this helpful. Though it’s been a while since I wrote it up, I think that’s a typo for CHD! What do you mean (or what did you think I meant) by CDH?

@ekorz Oh I was just going off of what you said :). Wasn't sure what this flash drive thing was called. I've heard of the CHD files though. I went ahead and ordered all the parts needed!!
thanks for info. !

don't know about sound, since I don't have that hooked up yet. Looks like it works to me though :).
now to do the KI1 board.
thanks again.

Attachments

• 20201113_224044.jpg
    20201113_224044.jpg
    754.9 KB · Views: 134
  • 20201113_224047.jpg
    20201113_224047.jpg
    788.7 KB · Views: 125
Back