What's new
Hey, do you know there are 44 ide to microSD, SD or CF adapters and disk on modules to plug right on the 44 pin connector ? You don't even need to source 5V !

Last edited:
¿Algún buen reparador en Europa con esta CPU dispuesta a reemplazarla? Hace mucho calor, ya verifiqué todos los contactos, y no es un lío:)
Hi friend, i can repair the pcb but i'm from México.
Please let me know if You interested

So, i have several dead Killer Instinct Boards, and a fully working KI2 board with control issues. I wanted to see if it was possible to downgrade the KI2 to KI1 by swapping U96, which is the only difference between boards (other than the sound roms, boot rom, and hard drive, but those are all socketed.)

So i yanked U96 off the board, soldered a 44 pin PLCC socket, and swapped the roms over, and lo and behold i now have a working KI1!

Now, how hard would it be to do a multi on this board, so i can flip a switch and play both games? I have ideas, but i know we have some amazingly talented people on this forum, so i figured i would ask for ideas first.
Do you have one pcb dead to sale?

Hey, do you know there are 44 ide to microSD, SD or CF adapters and disk on mudules to plug right on the 44 pin connector ? You don't even need to source 5V !
oh yeah I'm sure I have that CF packed somewhere. but now I have a bigger one! LOL this was a surgery that I long wondered how it would work out. I'm just glad I didn't break any CPU legs when it fell last week.

Hello guys,

The PCBs finally arrived today, i still have to solder the connectors and sockets, but here's a quick look of it !
Sadly, i won't have time this week-end to test it :(

IMG_3744.jpg

Yes, i will release once ready all the files (schematics, gerber and BOM) needed to be able to make the PCBs.

Regards
Hi @neku

Did you manage to test the boards with the multi? Thanks

Hi @neku

Did you manage to test the boards with the multi? Thanks
Hi,

Not yet, i am busy with the renovation of the house, all my soldering tools are in my garage as well as my motherboards.
I have started to gather all the tools needed together hope to find some times to work on it in the next weeks.

Regards,

Glad to hear. I've been checking this thread for updates everyday for the last 2 months. Will definitely be purchasing one once available

It fits nicely in place without touching anything underneath.

Image 2.jpeg

Last checks before takeoff ... I am nervous !
Can’t wait either… my k1 pcb is waiting also nervously! Looks great!

Guys, I have 2 boards from a friend, who sent them to Ken @ IRepairSega, which sent it back and said "can't be repaired".

now if Ken says that, I am guessing he is right and I shouldn't even try right?

Stunning work, looking really good @neku
If this kit offers what I need, I'll toss my KI2 up for sale.
Both my boards have been reworked, one with a new proc from Ken a year or so ago. I was told by him, I might have gotten the last newish processor in the land.
There's not many parts left for repairing these boards.

Guys, I have 2 boards from a friend, who sent them to Ken @ IRepairSega, which sent it back and said "can't be repaired".

https://www.arcadeservices.com/pcb-repair.html

I haven't tried this BUT whoever is running things there claims they worked at Midway, this may be a chance here.

I thought Ken only worked on Sega boards.

it depends WHY, if he determined the CPU is bad and doesn't have a replacement then someone with a CPU could fix it (or if you sourced one Ken could fix it)
but if it's bad because CPU pin traces got ripped off the board, then it might be really ugly to fix or near impossible to fix.

Part of what makes Ken so well regarded is that he stands behind his work, and his work stands the test of time. So a lot of times when the only fix is an ugly and fragile fix he'll say no. Doesn't mean it can't be done, it just means he's not willing to risk his reputation on the fix holding up.

Back