What's new
Wanted some clarification on here..this process helped me get a signal on my Astro City..but it also requires a very limited GPU set up. Is the process the exact same if I got a New Net City and if not, how is it different? I would like to run a MAME/BigBox setup on NNC but fear some of the games I'd want installed (Naomi/Atomiswave, etc) might be too much for the GPU setup I have for the Astro. Thoughts!?

The "r9 380x" card is the last ati card made with groovymame compatible analog out over the dvi-i port. It's a few years old now but powerful enough to handle the 3d of demul/flycast/m2/supermodel/teknoparrot and many pc games.

Or use any modern card with the "njz3 videoamp" adapter.

The "r9 380x" card is the last ati card made with groovymame compatible analog out over the dvi-i port. It's a few years old now but powerful enough to handle the 3d of demul/flycast/m2/supermodel/teknoparrot and many pc games.

Or use any modern card with the "njz3 videoamp" adapter.
And there's no issues getting that r9 setup working with the CRT in a NNC, Micky? My main concern was the CRTEmudriver thing with the wrong card and breaking something. Then I was thinking recently that I didn't know if they JVS nature of an NNC would factor into that process at all.

R9 380x works fine with emudriver.

It would depend what monitor you have in the cab. When you run vmmaker, choose your monitor model. It could be a trisync and if so that is the best monitor you could wish for with emulation as it will auto switch to the exact resolution of the game regardless if low mid or high res.

Regarding JPAC, I did some delving into why it's so oversaturated, and I found a solution. Or rather, Porkshop Express found the solution when I asked about it regarding the mistercade.

From my Astro Repair thread:

https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/astro-city-restoration-and-monitor-fix.11781/

This is very interesting to me. I saw that thread with picture of the resistors in series, but is there a better picture of it how it's soldered? I would love to do this. I think the picture quality Is very impressive. Especially since I have a j-pac hooked up to an ms8.

I have a weird IPAC2 issue I cannot track down and looking for some help, on Big Box or Devilblade reboot games, i get constant scrolling or mouse input moving the mouse up left. Below is what I have checked so far and also talked to Andy, but we didn't figure anything out.

I have the IPAC2 in keyboard mode and if I open Notepad or anything just in windows I get no indication that any of the arrow keys are being pressed and can freely use the joystick to scroll normally. If I remove all inputs from my arcade cabinet to the IPAC2, it still continues. Keyboard Test showed no input, Eventghost showed no inputs. No errors showing on teh IPAC, on the lastest multimode firmware.

If I unplug the ipac2, the scrolling stops during the apps affected. If I change to DirectInput mode it stops as well.

No scrolling seems to occur on other list based things that scroll using arrow keys, such as steam library, webpages, etc. Only when I open certain full screen apps. BigBox and DevilBlade reboot, but not KOFXIII in FS mode.

I checked usb game controllers to see if I may also be getting a game controller input even though I am in KB mode, but see nothing listed there. BUT, I disabled controller support in Big Box and it no longer scrolls, so I feel it is something to do with a stick\pad command being sent since that is what controller support uses in bigbox.

I disabled xbox gamebar, steam input, bluetooth.

I hooked the ipac2 up to my laptop and launched devil blade and had no scrolling, so it must be something on my arcade pc that is interacting with the IPAC2.

Looking for something else to test or try to capture the input that is causing issue. The Arcade PC is running Windows 10 in test mode for Groovymame and CRT EMU drivers and basically a fully fresh install outside of some game programs, no joy to key software or similar installed.

Hello Fellow Enthusiast,

I have almost everything in place of hooking up a small form factor PC to my Astro city with 31khz vga monitor. I am still trying to understand what to get for the Jamma to pc controls. I know that I don’t need to worry about the video component since the gpu gets connected to the monitor directly.

What system has the least lag or is even lagless? Jpac, SQ Arcade? Even this project is sounds awesome.

https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/whirlwind-pc-to-jamma-arcade-cabinet-interface.27229/

Hey guys i need a lil help how do i hook up a kick harness to a jpac??? I have a full mk4 machine and has a 6 way switcher but i wanna run a emulation on one..how do i kick harness wihtout out hacking up my orginal one?

Hello Fellow Enthusiast,

I have almost everything in place of hooking up a small form factor PC to my Astro city with 31khz vga monitor. I am still trying to understand what to get for the Jamma to pc controls. I know that I don’t need to worry about the video component since the gpu gets connected to the monitor directly.

What system has the least lag or is even lagless? Jpac, SQ Arcade? Even this project is sounds awesome.

https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/whirlwind-pc-to-jamma-arcade-cabinet-interface.27229/
I just saw the whirlwind project there is also something called the earthshaker which I think is just about the same thing. They look ideal for plug and play solutions. Im currently running a jpac which I believe has 1 frame of input lag. The arduino project (whirlwind) claims to have only 4 ms of lag.

@Arcade_Lover Thank you, holding start for 3 seconds disabled the shift function when in keyboard mode.

Would it be possible to get a firmware update that enables shift after holding start for 3 seconds BUT when you let go of start it disables shift again automatically? So you have to keep holding start to have shift activated. This is how Arcade 1 up cabs do it and it works great.

Also any luck with the English manual?

I was able to get the CPS2 Kick Harness wired up. It just needed DuPont connectors crimped on and plugged in like so as well as removing the 2x BTN6 jumpers:
SQARCADE PC to JAMMA JVS with CPS2 KICK.jpg

Since I have the jpac, sqarcade and the jammasd I did an input lag test between them all.

LED taped to the CRT and activated by a press of the player1 button 1. The high speed camera recorded using Bad Dudes vs Dragonninja:
PCB: 1 frame of input lag
Groovymame via JPAC: 2 frames
Groovymame via JAMMASD: 4 frames
Groovymame via SQARCADE (in keyboard mode): 2 frames
Mister via JPAC: 2 frames
Mister via JAMMASD: 4 frames
Mister via SQARCADE: 2 frames

I've yet to test input lag on SQARCADE on Dinput/Xinput mode but so far it's looking good. Comparable to jpac and better than JammASD which surprisingly has the worst input lag of them all.

JAMMASD with CPS2 KICK.jpg

Also while typing this I realise that I forgot to turn on Frame Delay in groovymame. That usually saves another frame or two.

Last edited:
Hey guys i need a lil help how do i hook up a kick harness to a jpac??? I have a full mk4 machine and has a 6 way switcher but i wanna run a emulation on one..how do i kick harness wihtout out hacking up my orginal one?

Does the mk cabinet have an auxilarry button harness that connects the 5th button( Im assuming this cab has 5 buttons per player) to the cabinet controls.

maybe this cps to mk

or this jnx Raiden

or some combination of the 2

You just need to buy a wired female kick harness and screw the wires into the screw terminals on the jpac.

Then you plug your male kick harness from your cab into the one on the jpac.

Check out the jpac photos here: https://www.arcade-projects.com/thr...c-to-an-arcade-cab-shall-we.20382/post-368396

Now, it has been updated, adding a raspberry pie pico chip, so that it can support PlayStation 3, PlayStation4, PlayStation5(Must be a PlayStation5 game that supports PlayStation4 controller.), Nintendo switch, xbox360, keyboard and connect PC computer. Transfer to jamma and JVS consoles.

mmexport1702086727882_125543.jpg

mmexport1702085689193_125630.jpg

mmexport1702085883217_125611.jpg
Are those 3 white connectors for the kick harness?

This thread is awesome!

A few questions:
-what's the baseline hardware for 6\7 frames run ahead on a CRT for hardware up to, let's say, Naomi @240p?
-except cost, what's the advantage (lag, picture quality, 1:1 resolution...) of a CRTemu driver setup vs HDMI 480p output -> 15 khz downscaler -> Jamma?

Back