What's new
Just went through all this, thanks so much for the tutorial!

I went through everything without issue, but now I'm experiencing an issue where when in the Attract Mode UI, I can't launch any games. I press a button to launch the game, the screen quickly flickers, and then comes right back to Attract Mode. I can go into Windows, manually launch Mame64.exe and play whatever game I want, but when I select the same game in Attract Mode, nothing. I tried using the Update MAME feature and it said it successfully updated it, still doesn't launch from Attract Mode.

Any ideas?

Info: 15khz setup in a Blast City, Computer is a cheap HP with a Radeon 6750, everything functions fine except for what I talked about above.

Thanks!

You can use CRT emudriver to make your Windows operating system computer output 15Khz RGB, but it must be a AMD graphics card, such as a HD4350 graphics card. You can also use batocera 15Khz system to directly output 15Khz RGB, and batocera is built on Linux.
Curious about this now having done more research. Is there any reason you mentioned that card specifically? Based on the info on the Emudriver 2.0 compatibility chart...there are newer cards that should work. Is this a case of you knowing that the 4350 is the max that will work for YOUR hardware shown here? Just curious. Not sure about the HD4350 performance and looking to avoid issues before purchases. Thanks.

Curious about this now having done more research. Is there any reason you mentioned that card specifically? Based on the info on the Emudriver 2.0 compatibility chart...there are newer cards that should work. Is this a case of you knowing that the 4350 is the max that will work for YOUR hardware shown here? Just curious. Not sure about the HD4350 performance and looking to avoid issues before purchases. Thanks.
Actually, don't get anything lower than a HD5000 series card. The HD4000 and lower cards require ninja like deftness with cable switching during setup of CRT Emu.

Trust me on this one.

Actually, don't get anything lower than a HD5000 series card. The HD4000 and lower cards require ninja like deftness with cable switching during setup of CRT Emu.

Trust me on this one.
I quickly grew tired of the cable swap/EDID stuff and just made a cable to avoid the issue altogether:
VGArgbCable-1024x616.jpg

The only thing you need is RGB, H/V sync and GND, which will all EDID/monitor detection schemes. You can accomplish the same by pulling pins out the connector of a pre-made cable.

+1 for pin removal, I had an issue with a PC I put together for a driving cab that defaulted to 1080p resolution and nearly killed a CRT. Removed the pin with needle nose pliers and configured the generic monitor in Windows to 640x480 on an LCD

I quickly grew tired of the cable swap/EDID stuff and just made a cable to avoid the issue altogether:
VGArgbCable-1024x616.jpg

The only thing you need is RGB, H/V sync and GND, which will all EDID/monitor detection schemes. You can accomplish the same by pulling pins out the connector of a pre-made cable.
1up'ed ya and made a breakout PCB for this stuff. Bridge umpers one one side or the other to keep it a straight passthru wire. I use 5 conductor 22awg LED ribbon. Nice and clean and works great.

1672745480602.png

+1 for pin removal, I had an issue with a PC I put together for a driving cab that defaulted to 1080p resolution and nearly killed a CRT. Removed the pin with needle nose pliers and configured the generic monitor in Windows to 640x480 on an LCD
What’s the issue ? Which pin needs to be cut ? I’m using a Radeon HD 7700.

Trust me on this one.
Any reason a Radeon R9 360 isn't going to work with this stuff?

What’s the issue ? Which pin needs to be cut ? I’m using a Radeon HD 7700.
It's only an issue if you are using a Tri-Sync or VGA capable arcade monitor that natively have HD15 connections. If the video input on your chassis only has RGB, Sync, VGnd, there is no connection on the chassis on the EDID pin anyway. No need to pull any pins. But there it is a real issue otherwise. I've blown up my buddy's Sanwa PFX chassis using a VGA cable to connect a MAME PC to it.

Last edited:
It's only an issue if you are using a Tri-Sync or VGA capable arcade monitor that natively have HD15 connections. If the video input on your chassis only has RGB, Sync, VGnd, there is no connection on the chassis on the EDID pin anyway. No need to pull any pins. But there it is a real issue otherwise. I've blown up my buddy's Sanwa PFX chassis using a VGA cable to connect a MAME PC to it.
I do own tri sync monitors : blast city and windy 2 . Both have native hd15 inputs ….

Is this to suggest that New Astro City and Mini Cute monitors are more plug and play than say a monitor in a Net City of Blast?

Try it. Calamity can't test all video cards. But give it a whirl and if it works, it works. If not, it doesn't.
What card are you using or would you personally recommend for PC set up for MAME on NAC/Cute?

I do own tri sync monitors : blast city and windy 2 . Both have native hd15 inputs ….
If you are using all original parts in those cabs, they'll just have an RGB cable with HD15 connectors at the end, They aren't actually VGA cables. Look at the pins in those cables, They'll only have pins populated for RGB, Csync, VGround.

The trouble comes into play when dudes replace the OEM RGB cables in these cabs with VGA cables where all 15 pin positions are populated.

Last edited:
What card are you using or would you personally recommend for PC set up for MAME on NAC/Cute?
As long as you are only running MAME and the PC is going to be used as a MAME Emu box and no other purpose, the answer is the cheapest possible Radeon HD5000 series or higher card with passive cooling that has DVI output. Stay away from those Dell cards that have the DMS9 connector. DVI connection only. Then get a DVI to VGA dongle for your analog output. Should cost you no more than $10-$15 shipped.

Is this to suggest that New Astro City and Mini Cute monitors are more plug and play than say a monitor in a Net City of Blast?
No.

Actually, it is easier on a tri-sync monitor. You generally don't need a JAMMA interface (i.e. J-Pac, JAMMASD, JAMMAizer, etc.) with a video amp. CRT Emu outpus voltages of 0.7vpp (natively). This the same voltage as VGA signals. These monitors being tri-sync can natively display VGA signals with the proper brightness. But that is another story and might be a little to advanced for you since you would still need to interface controls. So get a PC-to-JAMMA interface.

As long as you are only running MAME and the PC is going to be used as a MAME Emu box and no other purpose, the answer is the cheapest possible Radeon HD5000 series or higher card with passive cooling that has DVI output. Stay away from those Dell cards that have the DMS9 connector. DVI connection only. Then get a DVI to VGA dongle for your analog output. Should cost you no more than $10-$15 shipped.

No.

Actually, it is easier on a tri-sync monitor. You generally don't need a JAMMA interface (i.e. J-Pac, JAMMASD, JAMMAizer, etc.) with a video amp. CRT Emu outpus voltages of 0.7vpp (natively). This the same voltage as VGA signals. These monitors being tri-sync can natively display VGA signals with the proper brightness. But that is another story and might be a little to advanced for you since you would still need to interface controls. So get a PC-to-JAMMA interface.
https://www.pcliquidations.com/p65199-amd-radeon-hd-6450

Is this about what I should be looking for? In both price and hardware?

If you are using all original parts in those cabs, they'll just have an RGB cable with HD15 connectors at the end, They aren't actually VGA cables. Look at the pins in those cables, They'll only have pins populated for RGB, Csync, VGround.

The trouble comes into play when dudes replace the OEM RGB cables in these cabs with VGA cables where all 15 pin positions are populated.
Vga cables on my blast and windy 2 have all 15 pins populated . Maybe there aren’t all connected to the chassis . Which pin should I cut on my pc vga cable to be on the safe side ?

Back