What's new
Ill need an MK 1 Y Unit, one NBA Jam and the 4MB MK2 as I don't have access to a rom burner at the moment. No rush. Hit me up when they're ready to go!

I need a MK2 board, I’ll check which version I actually have, must be the 8M as it only has the extra sound pcb?

It makes for a more compact setup, but I say its a waste of money to convert a 4mb MK2 into a 8mb.

It makes for a more compact setup, but I say its a waste of money to convert a 4mb MK2 into a 8mb.
8Mb ROMs are about $2 a piece plus you need a PAL... so all in all the conversion costs about $25 in parts if you do it yourself.

More than worth cost to me personally. Not to mention you get 12X free 4Mb ROMs out of it. And for some reason people actually buy those ROM expansion boards on eBay too, no idea what they're using them for but you could potentially come out MAKING money from this conversion.

no idea what they're using them for
I thought I remember reading something about needing the expansion board if you had the 8mb version but wanted to use the Ultimate ROMs?
IDK, can't seem to find that information ATM. At the time I wrote it off because I already have the expansion board version (and I don't care about fan hacks).

I thought I remember reading something about needing the expansion board if you had the 8mb version
You shouldn't need to. the Hacked versions only modify the Program ROMs (in this case UG12 and UJ12) which aren't on the expansion board. I believe the Expansion board is only for the Graphics ROMS.

Isn’t that expension board the same as in some pinballs? Or was that a different Midway board?

Isn’t that expension board the same as in some pinballs? Or was that a different Midway board?
Oh it very well could be.

I'm not a big pinball guy, but I know Midway reused the sound boards.
Something makes these worth money, because as @twistedsymphony pointed out people do buy them (and I'm not really sure why).

I'm thinking some people just want to replace broken parts and didn't know about the 8mb upgrade

Oh it very well could be.
I'm not a big pinball guy, but I know Midway reused the sound boards.
Something makes these worth money, because as @twistedsymphony pointed out people do buy them (and I'm not really sure why).
Or it was the sound board, I’m not into pins myself, just remember reading of some Midway pcb being used accross arcade and pins.

So if it is the sound board I have no idea what anyone would do with the extra rom board?

Finally got this ready for sale: https://bit-district.com/midway.html

I have:
9 MK1 Y-Unit/Total Carnage Kits
8 NBA Jam/MK1 T-unit kits
and 4 MK2 (8M) kits

this was as many as I could assembly before I ran out of hardware. More is on order but this will be my total inventory until it arrives.

kits for the rest of the Y-unit games will have to wait until I get more hardware, and MK2 (4M) kits are still under development so it may be a while before they're complete.

Awesome stuff! Just ordered a Y unit and a MK2 kit, looking forward to some board consolidation ;)

Thanks guys, your orders are going out today.

when you're ready to install be sure to check the product page for the installation instructions. if nothing else it will help with the ribbon cable origami ;)

yeah, I need to take a couple additional photos to finish it up, it will be done later tonight.

Back