What's new
You also lose the ability to use the onboard Lowpass filter of the OSSC by using its VGA port.

True, but you have the same LPF from the Minigun via the THS7374, which can be enabled or disabled at will at the flick of a switch.

I use my Minigun into an Extron Crosspoint Matrix switch and from that I use different outputs, one to a PVM and one to an OSSC in AV3. Haven't come across anything that doesn't work yet. The Extron boosts the sync to TTL automatically for you.

I'm using the LPF on the Minigun itself here and the quality is pretty decent I think:

Hopefully next week I’ll have everything in place to do some tests of my own with the minigun, OSSC and a Taito F3. I’ll follow up with a writeup if I can manage to get everything working correctly...

Any word on when the Genny-2 connector version might be coming? trying to decide if I should just order parts and build the current version, or hold off a bit longer.

I could probably release it quite soon, the design is nearly done I've just not had the chance to order PCBs and test it.

I'm also working on something new, which is a while away, to take things to the next level.

_1011761.jpg

Adding myself to the list of people that have built one of these. I noticed a couple weird things. First I mounted the LED correctly which has never happened before, and despite my best efforts the minigun worked on the first try. Very strange! :)

Thank you for all the hard work on this it is a VERY nice device. I was able to make one for around $35-$40 US, using some parts I had in addition to what I ordered from Digikey. Still waiting on a couple things but nothing that kept me from being able to play around with this a bit.

_1011761.jpg

Adding myself to the list of people that have built one of these. I noticed a couple weird things. First I mounted the LED correctly which has never happened before, and despite my best efforts the minigun worked on the first try. Very strange! :)

Thank you for all the hard work on this it is a VERY nice device. I was able to make one for around $35-$40 US, using some parts I had in addition to what I ordered from Digikey. Still waiting on a couple things but nothing that kept me from being able to play around with this a bit.
Check out the 3D printed case options. It makes this thing feel solid enough to bludgeon someone with. Chuck it like a ninja star. And it doesn't hurt the hands when inserting it!!

Check out the 3D printed case options. It makes this thing feel solid enough to bludgeon someone with. Chuck it like a ninja star. And it doesn't hurt the hands when inserting it!!
Oooh thanks for the tip! I didn't realize the design had been updated for the current revision.

So I did end up 3D printing a case and you are right. You could club a baby seal with this thing.

dlTeoXJ.jpg

BuZxIiM.jpg

Yeah man, I love this thing. While it doesn't do Taito F3 out of the box, it's footprint is lower than the HAS so it allows for me to say load my IGS PGM games without having to take this off. I worry I will crush that plexiglass trying to insert it sometimes but with this you have no problems gripping it.

Be sure to get the 4p attachment! :thumbup:

Coulda sworn I hooked my F3 up to my Framemeister and it didn't work.

Coulda sworn I hooked my F3 up to my Framemeister and it didn't work.
Framemeister probably has the same problem as the OSSC. I just don't think it should be considered a fault in the minigun design.

F3 has out of spec sync. CRT TVs and monitors are great as they aren't terribly fussy with what signals they receive.

I had to design the Minigun with scart spec signal levels as this ensures no equipment ever connected to it will be damaged by it.

A simple sync booster PCB which I've also released for free rectifies the F3 / OSSC situation and I kind of like the fact that a separate add-on is required to boost to TTL level sync as it prevents less experienced people from pumping TTL sync into a device that can be harmed by it.

Additionally, the Mini DIN 8 to scart adapter which I've also released for free has the option to reroute sync via a jumper to accommodate the OSSC hardware mod fix.

Back