What's new
Question about power. I've seen some pics of testing the board using only GND, +12V, and +5V. Are those the only ones used, or will I need the additional GND, -5V, and +5V?
You definitely need two grounds and two +5V. Only some JAMMA games use -5V for the sound.

Question about power. I've seen some pics of testing the board using only GND, +12V, and +5V. Are those the only ones used, or will I need the additional GND, -5V, and +5V?
You can get away with only +5v and GND but you may not get sound. It depends on the PCB you are using. Some (most?) require the +12v, and others require the -5v as well.

You can use a common GND.

Edit: if you get any noise in the picture, tie GND to the field GND.

Edit 2: be sure to connect both +5v and GND at the board. I was thinking only about the power supply side when I replied.

Last edited:
Appreciate the responses guys, thanks! I'd so like to know what the best converter would be? I know it's taboo to not use a CRT, but I have an led monitor I want to use. I'll be using the Mini Din-9 with a genisis 2 cable. The monitor has 3ms delay with hdmi and vga input

OSSC or Retrotink 5X are 2 of the best known and widely used upscalers

You could also use a Gonbes GNS-8200 if you just want to convert the RGB signal to VGA and not upscale

OSSC or Retrotink 5X are 2 of the best known and widely used upscalers

You could also use a Gonbes GNS-8200 if you just want to convert the RGB signal to VGA and not upscale
The gbs 8200 is definitely going to scale it. Your options are only VGA PC type resolutions. It's getting line doubled at a minimum. Idk if that counts as scaling but it's also getting converted to 60hz. I think it counts but I wouldn't ever care to argue about it.

@Protokami -

You can try a $30 Component to HDMI converter that doesn't say anything about scaling and that will get you the original signal over HDMI.

The retrotink 2x is a great line doubler and it's pretty compatible.

The best converter is the OSSC.

The retrotink 5x is easier to use (at first) but not as good as OSSC.

If you look back a few posts I gave you some pretty detailed info on which converter is best...

my bad, I legit forgot I even asked this question earlier. i'm pretty new to all this (even using forums for help) so it's been.... interesting keeping track of all the details and info recieved been here, and YT videos

Here's a question I know I haven't asked lol, do you have to plug the kick harness into the Supergun? Or can you go straight from the CPS2 to your buttons while using the supergun? My DB-15 P1 and P2 ports will be going to an arcade panel, instead of using a conversion for pad/fightstick.
*side note* ordered an OSSC and it should be here Monday. I noticed there were variations of it, but they all looked the same, so I just went with the one that had "no latency" in the title.

Here's a question I know I haven't asked lol, do you have to plug the kick harness into the Supergun? Or can you go straight from the CPS2 to your buttons while using the supergun? My DB-15 P1 and P2 ports will be going to an arcade panel, instead of using a conversion for pad/fightstick.
*side note* ordered an OSSC and it should be here Monday. I noticed there were variations of it, but they all looked the same, so I just went with the one that had "no latency" in the title.
The kick harness goes from the Supergun to the CPS2. That's simplest.

In a real cabinet you would wire the kick button micro-switches to the kick harness on the CPS2.

In a real cabinet you would wire the kick button micro-switches to the kick harness on the CPS2.
And I don't need some special

This will be going into a cab I built, yes. That's why I was curious about my options for the kick harness. For me it would be easier to go straight from the cps2 if that's an option while using the supergun

Attachments

• 1638582138707783639439581312618.jpg
    1638582138707783639439581312618.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 114
And I don't need some special

This will be going into a cab I built, yes. That's why I was curious about my options for the kick harness. For me it would be easier to go straight from the cps2 if that's an option while using the supergun
Need some special what?

It definitely is possible. As long as the circuit is closed, the input will register. Just make sure you get the proper pinout for the CPS2 side.

I recall that I had some confusion as to the orientation of the pinout diagram. I wasn't sure if ground was on the left or right. You don't want to get that wrong.

Looks like you have a nice project going there. Good luck with it.

Need some special what?

It definitely is possible. As long as the circuit is closed, the input will register. Just make sure you get the proper pinout for the CPS2 side.

I recall that I had some confusion as to the orientation of the pinout diagram. I wasn't sure if ground was on the left or right. You don't want to get that wrong.

Looks like you have a nice project going there. Good luck with it.
Sorry idk why that didn't finish, that should have read "some special connector from the CPS2, to the supergun.". But as long as I can come out the the CPS2 directly with the kick harness and still use the supergun, that's all I need. At least for this project.

Anyone selling a minigun Advanced 2.5 (with MD2 9 pin video/sound out) in Europe ?
Alternatively it is difficult to solder the components with a "standard" soldering iron ?
Where can I find an updated component list for this ?
Thanks a lot.

Anyone selling a minigun Advanced 2.5 (with MD2 9 pin video/sound out) in Europe ?
Alternatively it is difficult to solder the components with a "standard" soldering iron ?
Where can I find an updated component list for this ?
Thanks a lot.
9 months ago I came to this same place asking this same question. I had done no fabrication since my apprenticeship 20(ha! I wish, more like 30) years ago.
In this thread I wrote about learning how to make one from scratch
https://www.arcade-projects.com/thr...d-the-projects-that-others-have-shared.17296/

What has happened in the last 9 months is the “global component crisis”. It has become really hard to get parts for even quite simple projects. A lot of supergun makers have stopped work. frank on Minigun, low-budget on parsec. those that are left RGB and Axunworks have a waiting list. Unfortunately the component shortage seems to be getting worse. Recently VW ran out of the color blue

Sneeknet in Aussie currently have three of the 8-pin variant in stock, and the price is very fair (he could easily charge double and it would still be value). If you want to buy one I’d do it now.
https://sneeknet.io/index.php/product/minigun-supergun-advanced-edition/

Sorry idk why that didn't finish, that should have read "some special connector from the CPS2, to the supergun.". But as long as I can come out the the CPS2 directly with the kick harness and still use the supergun, that's all I need. At least for this project.
You have the kick harness for the CPS2? You can rig something if you don't, but the real harness is best.

9 months ago I came to this same place asking this same question. I had done no fabrication since my apprenticeship 20(ha! I wish, more like 30) years ago.
In this thread I wrote about learning how to make one from scratch
https://www.arcade-projects.com/thr...d-the-projects-that-others-have-shared.17296/

What has happened in the last 9 months is the “global component crisis”. It has become really hard to get parts for even quite simple projects. A lot of supergun makers have stopped work. frank on Minigun, low-budget on parsec. those that are left RGB and Axunworks have a waiting list. Unfortunately the component shortage seems to be getting worse. Recently VW ran out of the color blue

Sneeknet in Aussie currently have three of the 8-pin variant in stock, and the price is very fair (he could easily charge double and it would still be value). If you want to buy one I’d do it now.
https://sneeknet.io/index.php/product/minigun-supergun-advanced-edition/
Thanks a lot for the detailed info.

Like the Jamma Harness? Yeah I have that, it's just figuring what I'd need to put the rgb cables into an ossc
No, there is a kick harness that connects to the CPS2. It is separate from the JAMMA harness. Do you have the CPS2 yet?

It looks like this:

CPS2_KICK_LOOM.jpg

Do you have the 9pin (Genesis 2) minigun?

If so, you can go via scart or component video to the OSSC. Scart is the most cost effective method.

If it's the 8 pin, I don't know.

How do you intend to hook up the JAMMA harness and the Supergun?

Back