What's new
The mappings for Player 1 are used for all the other players as well. MiSTer doesn’t let you map different player controls individually.

What are you trying to change with the controls specifically? Are the sticks and buttons on both sides of your Versus wired up to the harnesses identically?

Last edited:
The mappings for Player 1 are used for all the other players as well. MiSTer doesn’t let you map different player controls individually.

What are you trying to change with the controls specifically? Are the sticks and buttons on both sides of your Versus wired up to the harnesses identically?
Thanks for the reply. Just to clarify this is a single Sega NNC JVS machine with 2 6button controls on the same panel.

I just ran a test with MiSTer and OEM CPS2 Marvel vs Capcom. I want the MiSTer controls to behave like to the OEM controls.

Here are the results.

• OEM CPS2 PCB Marvel vs Capcom connected through Jammifier:
    • All buttons work as expected
  • MiSTer FPGA Marvel vs Capcom connected through Jammifier
    • Pressing high punch ( upper right hand corner) button executes high kick move
    • Pressing low kick ( lower left hand corner) button executes High punch move
    • All other buttons execute correct moves

Gotcha. So, with Marvel Vs Capcom running, pull up the MiSTer menu, go right one screen, and choose “Define <CORE NAME> Buttons>”. Step through the mappings and test them out. Once you’re happy with the mappings, pull up the menu again, go right one screen, and choose “Save Settings”.

That should get you sorted out for both Player 1 and Player 2.

Gotcha. So, with Marvel Vs Capcom running, pull up the MiSTer menu, go right one screen, and choose “Define <CORE NAME> Buttons>”. Step through the mappings and test them out. Once you’re happy with the mappings, pull up the menu again, go right one screen, and choose “Save Settings”.

That should get you sorted out for both Player 1 and Player 2.

Thanks. I'm back to the problem I had forgotten about now.

When I do “Define <CORE NAME> Buttons>” that fixes the gameplay button mappings but then it fouls up ability to add credits/start.

I have the dip switches on the MiSTer set to send credit and start commands at the same time which works before I remap. When I do the Define <CORE NAME> Buttons config it wants me to assign buttons to "Start", "credit" and "core credit". I only have 1 button per player on the New Net city. I do also have the MiSTerCade remote board which has coin buttons on it but they also don't work after remapping. My NNC also came with a "no coin mod" which I haven't installed which might help?

I see options on the "System Settings screen"
  • Remap Keyboard
  • Define joystick buttons
On the Core settings screen
  • define "mvsc" buttons ( was playing marvel vs capcom)
  • Button/key remap
Appreciate any advise on the coin/start config for this cabinet

Thanks. I'm back to the problem I had forgotten about now.

A few things:

1) If you haven't already done so, copy the "config" folder from the MiSTercade Github over the top of the "config" folder of your MiSTer's SD card. That should update all the MiSTer core mappings to match the MiSTercade hardware.
https://github.com/misteraddons/MiSTercade-Config

2) There's also a script you can copy to your SD card and configure that will update your MiSTercade control bindings whenever the "update_all" script is executed. This will keep your MiSTercade bindings in sync with new cores as they're released.
https://github.com/misteraddons/mistercade_mappings

3) If you still need to rebind your controls after updating the MiSTercade input scripts, you'll want to disable the P1 Free and P2 Free switches that triggers Coin and Start simultaneously whenever you're assigning button mappings or else you won't be able to bind the Coin and Start inputs properly. You can re-enable the switches after. Press the Coin button on the MiSTercade Remote or physically insert a coin into your cab to trigger the Coin binding.

4) When binding controls you can skip a unneeded binding (such as Pause or Credits) by pressing the User button on the MiSTercade.
NOTE that the "Credits" control binding on some of the cores toggles display of the developer credits - it's a completely different (and skippable) binding than the essential "Coin" input that triggers inserting a coin into the cabinet.

5) Also note that many arcade games allow you to enable Freeplay in the Service Menu if you want to leave the P1 Free and P2 Free switches on your MiSTercade off.

Last edited:
A few things:

1) If you haven't already done so, copy the "config" folder from the MiSTercade Github over the top of the "config" folder of your MiSTer's SD card. That should update all the MiSTer core mappings to match the MiSTercade hardware.
https://github.com/misteraddons/MiSTercade-Config

2) There's also a script you can copy to your SD card and configure that will update your MiSTercade control bindings whenever the "update_all" script is executed. This will keep your MiSTercade bindings in sync with new cores as they're released.
https://github.com/misteraddons/mistercade_mappings

3) If you still need to rebind your controls after updating the MiSTercade input scripts, you'll want to disable the P1 Free and P2 Free switches that triggers Coin and Start simultaneously whenever you're assigning button mappings or else you won't be able to bind the Coin and Start inputs properly. You can re-enable the switches after. Press the Coin button on the MiSTercade Remote or physically insert a coin into your cab to trigger the Coin binding.

4) When binding controls you can skip a unneeded binding (such as Pause or Credits) by pressing the User button on the MiSTercade.
NOTE that the "Credits" control binding on some of the cores toggles display of the developer credits - it's a completely different (and skippable) binding than the essential "Coin" input that triggers inserting a coin into the cabinet.

5) Also note that many arcade games allow you to enable Freeplay in the Service Menu if you want to leave the P1 Free and P2 Free switches on your MiSTercade off.
Will give this a whirl and report back. thank you!

Will give this a whirl and report back. thank you!
My sincere thanks for your help. All good and working as expected now. It was my mistake of not realizing needing this input config when I upgraded to a larger memory card and doing a "clean" install.

I'm also interesting in setting up controls for the MVS library. It seems to have its own challenges. Does a nice set of maps exist for that already or good instructions?

I assumed MVS was already covered in the MiSTercade’s mapping files from Github. Is that not the case?

I assumed MVS was already covered in the MiSTercade’s mapping files from Github. Is that not the case?
No, MVS games are not included in the update all scripts "arcade" folder. At least, a quick search of Metal Slug show's its not there.

I sourced them separately and dropped them in the consoles-> neo geo folder. They run fine since the core in now included with the update all script.

Same challenge with the controls though. I would love to apply the config ( or course with the right ? A B C D button changes) working on the other downloaded map files to these games but these are all binary files?

No, MVS games are not included in the update all scripts "arcade" folder. At least, a quick search of Metal Slug show's its not there.

I sourced them separately and dropped them in the consoles-> neo geo folder. They run fine since the core in now included with the update all script.

Same challenge with the controls though. I would love to apply the config ( or course with the right ? A B C D button changes) working on the other downloaded map files to these games but these are all binary files?

All good with Neo-Geo now as well. Switched it to MVS instead of AES, turned on free play dip switch and setup controls with "define Neo Geo buttons".

Candy Cab all setup now.

Back