What's new
You can increase the USB polling rate in the MiSTer, I'm not sure the benefit of the Blister anymore.
Edge case, but I for one have a Bliss-Box and all the useful cords already. So I still intend to get a Blisster when I finally get my setup, let me use all my original controllers.

https://imgur.com/a/U3tO0ag

Sometimes you have to tear apart old cables to make new ones.

So the Mister itself seems unharmed, thankfully.

I only own a blisster because when I started out you couldn't order any other USB board for sale anywhere on the internet. Really hoping this can be fixed because I don't want to have to find a new case on top of a new USB board :/

I did see someone on Jotego's discord with one with DB15 ports! That'd be a cool replacement.

EDIT: All the USB ports on the Blisster get power. They just don't have any activity. So I thought "Hey, maybe it's the USB-hub-on-a-chip in the center there". And it has a leg that's blown off of the trace and now bridged with another leg. Going to repair that and see if I didn't also kill this chip itself.

Double Edit: Nope, she's dead.

Last edited:
So since there's Direct Video now, what are people's opinions on Digital IO Board vs Analog? Seems like the Digital may be more useful? Gives a power switch and frees up an add-on gpio?

You're giving up the native VGA, but DACs are cheap...

So since there's Direct Video now, what are people's opinions on Digital IO Board vs Analog? Seems like the Digital may be more useful? Gives a power switch and frees up an add-on gpio?

You're giving up the native VGA, but DACs are cheap...
Still like the 5.6 IO board for a fan mounting location (the DE10 nano cpu gets hot), reset button, sdcard for Sharp X68k core (beta), SoG switch for component but yes, not mandatory with Direct Video now.

I haven't checked out the newer rev. digital IO board schematic yet but I think you can power on/off the MiSTer with it which is cool.

Having two screens HDMI and VGA monitor is really nice when troubleshooting, you could probably do a splitter/dac combo but at that point my vote would be to get the IO board for the benefits above.

I’m tempted to purchase a Digital IO now. I’m curious what might be in the works for the free GPIO? Looks like there’s potential to add a new RAM slot.

Last edited:
i am loving the heck out of my mister (even without the cps1 core yet..) but i would like if there was a place where I could chat to others about various topics to do with the mister... no irc.. some discord I don't know about ? reddit.. no thanks. does anyone have a good location where there are skilled lurkers to give mostly correct answers ?

edit: lol i may have typed this message ^^ as th CPS1 core was being released to the public. awesome news!!

Last edited:
i am loving the heck out of my mister (even without the cps1 core yet..) but i would like if there was a place where I could chat to others about various topics to do with the mister... no irc.. some discord I don't know about ? reddit.. no thanks. does anyone have a good location where there are skilled lurkers to give mostly correct answers ?
CPS1 core is out for public ^^

I'm on JT discord (for patreons) and on Classic Gamining, that is public.

Last edited:
The @SmokeMonster Discord is very active with both MiSTer users and developers as well, but you have to subscribe to his Patreon to get a link. It's well worth it to me considering how much work he puts into maintaining the game packs for all of the arcade multis and flash drives around here.

I could not get the cps1 core automagically with any of the existing update scripts. Maybe I was doing something wrong, but I wanted to sharpen by poor bash skills a little so I wrote an update/replace/install script for the CPS1 core for your Mister from github.

Grab the attached file, unzip it to your Scripts folder (usually /media/fat/Scripts), check the top of the file to ensure your CPS1 cores folders is correct, then run the script.

TMPDIR="/tmp/tmp"
DEST_DIR_FOR_CORE="/media/fat/_CPS1/cores"

TMPDIR can be anywhere under /tmp/.. it all gets wiped out every reboot anyway

This script has no warranty it could ruin your life, use it at your own risk :)

Please let me know if something doesnt work for you and I can fix it. For me it works well.

- checks if core exists
- downloads latest core from github (raw format)
- replaces old core with new if needed

please enjoy

edit: updated script so it waits for a key-press before quitting once its finished, so you know what the script actually did.

Attachments

• sims_cps1_update_script.zip
    854 bytes · Views: 54
Last edited:
I could not get the cps1 core automagically with any of the existing update scripts. Maybe I was doing something wrong, but I wanted to sharpen by poor bash skills a little so I wrote an update/replace/install script for the CPS1 core for your Mister from github.

Grab the attached file, unzip it to your Scripts folder (usually /media/fat/Scripts), check the top of the file to ensure your CPS1 cores folders is correct, then run the script.

TMPDIR="/tmp/tmp"
DEST_DIR_FOR_CORE="/media/fat/_CPS1/cores"

TMPDIR can be anywhere under /tmp/.. it all gets wiped out every reboot anyway

This script has no warranty it could ruin your life, use it at your own risk :)

Please let me know if something doesnt work for you and I can fix it. For me it works well.

- checks if core exists
- downloads latest core from github (raw format)
- replaces old core with new if needed

please enjoy

edit: updated script so it waits for a key-press before quitting once its finished, so you know what the script actually did.
The JT script worked fine for me but it's always fun to tinker! Glad you made the script and thanks for sharing. =)

hey @digitron yeah i must have an old JT script..

i have
Update_RetroDriven_MAME.sh
mister_updater_jtcores.sh
update.sh
all in the scripts dir. none of them (for me) put the new core into the /media/fat/_CPS1/cores folder

it was fun doing some bash tho :) thanks for your comment

I got CPS1 working running update.sh and then Update_RetroDriven_MAME.sh

This core is impressive and works great but I notice worse sound quality compared to real CPS1 and other MiSTer cores... it's like the sound has lower resolution. Maybe that's because it's a Release Candidate or due to my Rankie.

Apart from that I notice low volume on almost all cores, except Black Tiger, so I have to turn the volume way up in the TV. Cores like Neo Geo or Double Dragon that use JT* FM implementations sound fine.

Last edited:
I got CPS1 working running update.sh and then Update_RetroDriven_MAME.sh

This core is impressive and works great but I notice worse sound quality compared to real CPS1 and other MiSTer cores... it's like the sound has lower resolution. Maybe that's because it's a Release Candidate or due to my Rankie.

Apart from that I notice low volume on almost all cores, except Black Tiger, so I have to turn the volume way up in the TV. Cores like Neo Geo or Double Dragon that use JT* FM implementations sound fine.
You can report as a bug on github man.

First mister in JVS cab?

Got some parts, fired her up - and it worked :) With current JVS-PAC 2 software, I can select games at boot and as long as the core keys are like MAME it seemed to work ok.

Going to update the firmware on the Mister to see if I can get Street Fighter up and running to test concurrent inputs and stuff like that.

jvs2mister.JPG

Part numbers for power adapter is

VLR-06V
SVM-61T-P2.0

I didn't have a solder type barrel-jack, so hacked something from the scrap bin.

Attachments

• jvs2mister2.JPG
    jvs2mister2.JPG
    758.6 KB · Views: 42
Glad to see you got it working with the JVS-PAC 2. I tried a few weeks ago and couldn’t get it to work. I’ll give it another shot.

First mister in JVS cab?

Got some parts, fired her up - and it worked :) With current JVS-PAC 2 software, I can select games at boot and as long as the core keys are like MAME it seemed to work ok.

Going to update the firmware on the Mister to see if I can get Street Fighter up and running to test concurrent inputs and stuff like that.

jvs2mister.JPG

Part numbers for power adapter is

VLR-06V
SVM-61T-P2.0

I didn't have a solder type barrel-jack, so hacked something from the scrap bin.
can the JVS-PAC 2 present as two devices to the MiSTer? or will it only work with one player?

can the JVS-PAC 2 present as two devices to the MiSTer? or will it only work with one player?
it presents as 1 (big) keyboard, 2 joypads and 1 mouse - currently only keyboard is active - so as long as the core use mame keys, 2 players is not really an issue.

I may be missing some stuff, finally got SF2 up and running - with a normal keyboard at my desk. Buttons 4,5 &6 are not mame defaults it seems, when I go F12 to define buttons, I'm only asked about player 1...?!

Edit: think I'm putting the mister back in the box again :)

The input system of Mister seems inherently broken for arcade boards, there is a hack in place for arcadeSD that does something based on USB-ID.

MY advice to clean up all this would be to ditch the 'virtual game-pad' idea with some physical input device -> game-pad emulation -> translate that to whatever the fpga core wants and rather learn from JVS, which should support pretty much every odd arcade scenario when it comes to input (rotary, analog, keyboard etc etc).
jvs switches.png

Please correct me if I got it wrong

edit again: OR just make it behave like MAME in the first place.

Last edited:
I may be missing some stuff, finally got SF2 up and running - with a normal keyboard at my desk. Buttons 4,5 &6 are not mame defaults it seems, when I go F12 to define buttons, I'm only asked about player 1...?!
This is perhaps a MiSTer issue then as I had the same issue with a Jpac only seeing player 1
I guess its looking for 2 usb devices being plugged in for 2 players.

Back