What's new
I'm too impatient to wait for the mistercade, so while I wait for it I got Antonio's solution (is on it's way to me)

Is it still really necessary to patch the Linux kernel with the files provided by Antonio? what's the side effect if we don't do it? I don't feel much comfortable patching when I don't know what the patch is about... and maybe is the patch no longer needed? (Mister Linux's kernel get updated very often...)
I have the Antonio Jamma adapter as well and it works great. I think you will be happy with it. Depending on your MiSTer build you may have a few more cables, but the setup and usage is straightforward. @opt2not summary here is sport on.

I wouldn't worry about the XM10 files causing issues, and if you are really worried, just back up your SD image before dropping them in /media/fat/linux/ . I am not sure the exact issues you would have if you don't do this, but assume it was related to connectivity and therefore lag/responsiveness of the XM10 port.

I'm too impatient to wait for the mistercade, so while I wait for it I got Antonio's solution (is on it's way to me)

Is it still really necessary to patch the Linux kernel with the files provided by Antonio? what's the side effect if we don't do it? I don't feel much comfortable patching when I don't know what the patch is about... and maybe is the patch no longer needed? (Mister Linux's kernel get updated very often...)
I have the Antonio Jamma adapter as well and it works great. I think you will be happy with it. Depending on your MiSTer build you may have a few more cables, but the setup and usage is straightforward. @opt2not summary here is sport on.
I wouldn't worry about the XM10 files causing issues, and if you are really worried, just back up your SD image before dropping them in /media/fat/linux/ . I am not sure the exact issues you would have if you don't do this, but assume it was related to connectivity and therefore lag/responsiveness of the XM10 port.
The problem is that only one player will be able to play on one's cab sans this fix (even if one has a two player panel). Dropping those fixed files in the specified location is literally copy and paste (and approval of the overwriting of what is already there.) It couldn't be simpler. Once done, one will have two players on a two player CP.

I just asked Antonio, and yes, he said that the only reason is to support the second player.

According to Antonio, Sorgelig patched the sources some time ago, *but* he hasn’t update the binary during the last two years, that’s why the manual patch is still necessary. Sounds like a weird decision to update the sources but not the binary, but so is it.

so I guess I’m gonna pass to patch the Linux. I only have a 1 player 3 button panel in the cab where I want to use the mister.

A bit of an update on MiSTercade: I have most of my 10 beta boards soldered up and US testers will get theirs first. Once they verify the voltage levels, I'll be sending them to international customers. Everything is ticking along nicely, and I don't forsee any major issues from here on out, but you never know.

Development takes time, and I would rather be extra cautious than risk irreplaceable arcade hardware :)

Take your time! Commending you for being thorough!

A bit of an update on MiSTercade: I have most of my 10 beta boards soldered up and US testers will get theirs first. Once they verify the voltage levels, I'll be sending them to international customers. Everything is ticking along nicely, and I don't forsee any major issues from here on out, but you never know.

Development takes time, and I would rather be extra cautious than risk irreplaceable arcade hardware :)
Nice! id like to order one once you are happy they're good, not sure if you're taking pre-orders or anything? :)

I recently picked up a chinese copy candy cab that will become the new home for my MiSTer. Your solution looks like a pretty nice way to do it.

Anyone know what arcade cores you can run on just the bare de-10 nano mister with no upgrades?

Anyone know what arcade cores you can run on just the bare de-10 nano mister with no upgrades?
Genesis, GBA, and PC-Engine all work without SDRAM
wow that's crazy, figured at least some of the older arcade games would work.
He isn't listing a complete list just the cores he knows about. For arcade most of the really early systems don't need SDRAM. For arcade it's mostly CPS0/1/1.5 and NEOGEO that needs SDRAM.

BTW if you want 32MB SDRAM there would be a lot of people selling them cheaper than new, since a lot of people upgraded from 32MB to 128MB.

Was just curious to test it out bare bones on a monitor I'm working on. Didn't realize popeye and burger time were harder to emulate than a sega or pc engine.

I did a test with the original power supply that came with the DE10-Nano and, both without load and with only the USB board connected, voltage was 5.27V... slightly out of 5% tolerance spec, so I've purchased a Mean Well GST60A05-P1J that works great. I have measured without load and it reads 5.15V.
I know linear PSUs read higher without load, dunno if that's the case with SMPS too.

gst60a05-p1j-caja.jpg

I also got one of these Neptune Blue acrylic cases for Digital I/O board, it looks great and it's good priced:
https://misterfpga.co.uk/product/mister-case-acrylic/

The TV LG CF-28A56 is great for MiSTer (although it doesn't switch to AV1 automatically), with very arcade-ish image and great stereo sound... best thing is that I got it for free, it would probably ended in a dumpster generating waste.

lg-cf28a56-mister-neogeo.jpg

I find it also pretty compatible with arcade PCBs. I can't appreciate the crappy digital processing like some modern CRT TVs :)

Last edited:
Finally popped my cherry and had a quick gaming session with the MiSTer. First impressions are is that it’s way better and more accurate than I imagined.

Thanks to @atrac17 and @Raph_friend for being 1-on-1 tech support and walking me through everything. Looking forward to more playing and testing...

Finally popped my cherry and had a quick gaming session with the MiSTer. First impressions are is that it’s way better and more accurate than I imagined.

Thanks to @atrac17 and @Raph_friend for being 1-on-1 tech support and walking me through everything. Looking forward to more playing and testing...

MiSTer is a awesome system, people who compare with RaspPi need to give it a real try.

That is seriously so pretty. You have no idea how many more people would get in on MiSTer if it wasn't an octopus. Or, well, maybe you do. Excited to see what you come up with later! I want it!

There are a couple of ITX piggyback boards in development for the DE-10 that will allow us to mount the MiSTer in an ITX case which should help fix its octopussiness -- if that is even a word. I guess it is now.

Cardboard box case when?

Just wanted to chime in with proper thoughts about MiSTer as I've been testing the @misteraddons MiSTercade around the clock by which itself is a fantastic product, even in it's current (non final) form. You guys are going to love it and I hope to be able to share more info on it soon.

As I have said before, many times, I had my doubts about MiSTer, but as I have also stated a couple of posts up above, it's better than I expected on my initial run through.

Here are some of the more notable and enjoyable titles (cores) that I've spent a fair amount of time with, the titles in bold were PCB's I was loosely hunting for, but for the performance the MiSTer gives, I'm no longer in the market for them really, unless they turn up "cheap":

Arkanoid
Bionic Commando
Black Tiger
Bubble Bobble

Contra
CPS-1 (Strider, Ghouls & Ghosts, etc.)
CPS-1.5 (Cadillacs & Dinosaurs, The Punisher, etc.)
Discs of Tron
Double Dragon 1 & 2
Gemini Wing
Ghost & Goblins
Green Beret
Legendary Wings
Mario Bros
Section Z
Side Arms
Silkworm
Space Invaders
Tapper
Tiger Road
Wonderboy

I've tested out numerous console cores with above average to very good / excellent success. Surprisingly, the CD based cores run extremely well:
Atari 2600
Gameboy
GBA
Genesis
Master System
MSX
Neo Geo AES/MVS
NES
SNES
Sega CD
Turbo Duo

One small pet peeve, I'm not really keen on flipping my tube around for some of the older games, so I hope rotate support is offered for titles like Donkey Kong, Tower of Druaga, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to sell my PCBs, nor is this a replacement if that's where your heart and mind is at. Personally, if a multi is available, I'm 100% down to use genuine hardware. But the way certain prices for games are going, MiSTer adds some extra value and a lot of decent titles to play with. Just another piece of semi in-expensive kit to add to the arcade repertoire.

Finally, another big shout out to @suverman, @atrac17 (ichiban phone support) and @Raph_friend for walking me through it all. It's actually not very hard, but slightly daunting at first if you're not up for the job.

Back