What's new
@ShootTheCore wrote the manual, quick start guide and has a video in the works. When he’s ready, I hope he’ll start up an official MiSTercade thread for feedback/troubleshooting/info.

Sure, after I have the Tutorial Video published and @misteraddons starts shipping units then I can launch a fresh MiSTercade Support thread with links to the written materials and video. :thumbsup:

Yes, looking at the MRA is how I originally got the bios loaded. I modified the MRA to look for uni-bios_4_0.rom because that's what was in my mame neogeo.zip.
I am working on update to be released in few days. UniBIOS will be matched by CRC and this should save users from hassles with the zip containing common files.
I like this solution, but I think these questions will be asked a lot. Most users don't have a technical background and probably won't even know what a DarkSoft roll-up pack is (outside of this forum). Most will probably assume mame, based on past experience.
Adding ROM download support to update_all/downloader/mame_getter will save time with these for everyone. The biggest problem here for now is filename clash with MAME and changing names can be a problem too as renamed zips will not work with a console core. Implementing encrypted ROM support to the core is an ultimate goal, but it will take time. We need to find some intermediate solution to handle it nicely.
Thanks again for this. It's bugged me since day one that MVS was under console.
Happy to help.

I am working on update to be released in few days. UniBIOS will be matched by CRC and this should save users from hassles with the zip containing common files.

Adding ROM download support to update_all/downloader/mame_getter will save time with these for everyone. The biggest problem here for now is filename clash with MAME and changing names can be a problem too as renamed zips will not work with a console core. Implementing encrypted ROM support to the core is an ultimate goal, but it will take time. We need to find some intermediate solution to handle it nicely.

Happy to help.

I think for people who are already using DarkSoft zipped ROMs, it's no big deal; or it's something they've already dealt with.

It was jarring for me because I forgot all about that option for the Neo Geo core. I had just been using .neo ROM files.

You can (obviously) do whatever you want with your time, but I think it would be a waste to put too much energy into the ROM names (because of what I stated above).

I also think too much time has passed since the introduction of the Neo Geo core, and it was really up to furrtek to choose something better than he did with the names (I'm not complaining, the guy is awesome). That's if there's even a better a option available. At this point, you are just working with what's available.

Hello Everyone, anyone know where I can buy a Terasic DE10-Nano board?

they seem to be sold out in many sites.

Thanks in advance.

^ Another seeking the holy trinity of arcade gaming…a mistercade, a DE10 Nano and a CRT Candy cab. ☺️ I only know of Mouser and Digikey. Maybe Amazon. Downunder I’ve checked Element 14 and RS Components with no luck. I might look around for some Asian stores - KL, Singapore, Hong Kong etc.

I think for people who are already using DarkSoft zipped ROMs, it's no big deal; or it's something they've already dealt with.

It was jarring for me because I forgot all about that option for the Neo Geo core. I had just been using .neo ROM files.

You can (obviously) do whatever you want with your time, but I think it would be a waste to put too much energy into the ROM names (because of what I stated above).

I also think too much time has passed since the introduction of the Neo Geo core, and it was really up to furrtek to choose something better than he did with the names (I'm not complaining, the guy is awesome). That's if there's even a better a option available. At this point, you are just working with what's available.

So just to clarify, using update_all after 'installing' the RBF/MRA files - those ROMs will not work. But if I zip the ones I have currently (Darksoft) for the "console" version of the Neo, those should work. Am I understanding that correct?

edit: Yep! I was correct. Just tried it with the Darksoft set and it works just fine.

Last edited:
Yes, crosshatch means the bios is loaded. Mame romsets don't work, they are encrypted and this core doesn't support them. You need unencrypted romsets aka "neo geo darksoft roll-up pack". This is single file archive containing a lot of titles but if you pack individual game files into thier own zips and put it to /games/mame the game should boot up.
Update_all is not yet supported, but there is effort to get it implemented, so it will be eventually.

So I'm not sure what Ive got going on here. I had a Darksoft set and was able to load Art of Fighting. Worked fine, so I put the rest of the games in there, and got the Crosshatch on all of em (that I tried - like 10 or so games).

So I went and nabbed the rollup pack, zipped em all, and put them into the mame folder and... cross hatch.

Im not sure what I've done wrong, but AOF still works fine.

Those who have ordered RAM/IO/USB Hubs from AliExpress, what are your thoughts? I know a while ago there were issues with the IO boards not being populated properly but wondering if anyone has any good reports on this stuff.

With the looming parts shortages and costly shipping, it would be good to know?

Ordered a ram and io board a while ago. Both worked fine but the USB hub was using a split power cable instead of the pins that directly connect to the nano which my other hub does.
Having said that, my io board from a reputable seller had a bad solder joint that prevented the user port from working and a short on the fan plug. Most of this stuff is hand soldered, so the results may vary.

Hello everyone,

I just set up a mister and im having no audio.

Im currently only running the de10 nano connected to HDMI to VGA adaptor and taking audio from mp3 wire in the vga adapter and a keyboard. The 128mb sdram is still in the mail.

Is there a settings im supposed to turn on

So I'm not sure what Ive got going on here. I had a Darksoft set and was able to load Art of Fighting. Worked fine, so I put the rest of the games in there, and got the Crosshatch on all of em (that I tried - like 10 or so games).

So I went and nabbed the rollup pack, zipped em all, and put them into the mame folder and... cross hatch.

Im not sure what I've done wrong, but AOF still works fine.
I would double check the structure of the files to make sure you zipped them correctly.

Did you copy files to mame dir?

It has to be something simple.

I would double check the structure of the files to make sure you zipped them correctly.

Did you copy files to mame dir?

It has to be something simple.

EDIT: Just go to the bottom of this post to see the ridiculousness.

Yeah, I used the WinRAR setting to zip entire folders into their respective zips (but not zipping the individual folders themselves).

Its just confusing because I used one of my Darksoft ROMs to make Art of Fighting into a zip. Put that in the games/mame folder to test. Game didn't boot, so reading through this thread I saw that it was a neogeo.zip issue - mine was missing unibios.rom. Fixed that up and poof - AOF boots up.

So then I went and mass zipped like I described up there, and I got cross hatches on everything but AOF, which I did not replace, it was still the test one I had from earlier. OK, so the BIOS is loading, but somethings messed up w the ROMs.

So I got the newest rollup pack mentioned here. Same thing. Crosshatches.

So I tried just one game, 3count bout, booted normally.

THEN, I got the ones that were in the Neo folder for the 'console' version. Same exact thing as before. Then I thought, well maybe its the mass zip thats causing it. Dont know how, but maybe? So I tried a few other individual games, and then I started getting audio/graphical glitches. I just made a shoddy little vid of what is going on.

Now, mind you every game I select in this video is from the same set- pulled from the Console version of the Neo ROMs, which were the Darksoft set. The big one to look at is Fatal Fury, it loads fine on the console version, but he zipped version in the MAME folder has that weird graphical glitch.

View: https://youtu.be/ESgwQbYq5-s

OK - so I got it squared, and it was indeed the mass zipping that caused it. I guess I didn't select the right option in WinRAR to NOT put each ROM into a folder, in the zip. So naturally the core was doing it's best but directory structure was borked.

Went and deleted all of the useless zips, fixed the setting, and now each folder was zipped into a zip - without a folder inside of it. Games: bootin' just fine.

Still tho- as an aside - are there some missing MRAs? I noticed some games like AOF2 and Blues Journey, Fatal Fury Special, Fatal Fury 2, 3, ,etc are not found in the arcade version. But they are there in the console version. (again, same ROMs).

Last edited:
EDIT: Just go to the bottom of this post to see the ridiculousness.

Yeah, I used the WinRAR setting to zip entire folders into their respective zips (but not zipping the individual folders themselves).

Its just confusing because I used one of my Darksoft ROMs to make Art of Fighting into a zip. Put that in the games/mame folder to test. Game didn't boot, so reading through this thread I saw that it was a neogeo.zip issue - mine was missing unibios.rom. Fixed that up and poof - AOF boots up.

So then I went and mass zipped like I described up there, and I got cross hatches on everything but AOF, which I did not replace, it was still the test one I had from earlier. OK, so the BIOS is loading, but somethings messed up w the ROMs.

So I got the newest rollup pack mentioned here. Same thing. Crosshatches.

So I tried just one game, 3count bout, booted normally.

THEN, I got the ones that were in the Neo folder for the 'console' version. Same exact thing as before. Then I thought, well maybe its the mass zip thats causing it. Dont know how, but maybe? So I tried a few other individual games, and then I started getting audio/graphical glitches. I just made a shoddy little vid of what is going on.

Now, mind you every game I select in this video is from the same set- pulled from the Console version of the Neo ROMs, which were the Darksoft set. The big one to look at is Fatal Fury, it loads fine on the console version, but he zipped version in the MAME folder has that weird graphical glitch.

View: https://youtu.be/ESgwQbYq5-s

OK - so I got it squared, and it was indeed the mass zipping that caused it. I guess I didn't select the right option in WinRAR to NOT put each ROM into a folder, in the zip. So naturally the core was doing it's best but directory structure was borked.

Went and deleted all of the useless zips, fixed the setting, and now each folder was zipped into a zip - without a folder inside of it. Games: bootin' just fine.

Still tho- as an aside - are there some missing MRAs? I noticed some games like AOF2 and Blues Journey, Fatal Fury Special, Fatal Fury 2, 3, ,etc are not found in the arcade version. But they are there in the console version. (again, same ROMs).
Thanks for this. This worked for me. I was zipping the folder instead of just the files.
Everything thing is working now.

Back