What's new
Apart from the possible limitations in some cores, to get good sound from the MiSTer (standard build) you need a decent DAC. I use a Topping E30 via optical output and it works a treat. FX-Audio DAC X6 works fine too and it's cheaper.

I'd say in general MiSTer and bsnes are about the same, but there are some outliers that don't run properly on MiSTer.

AI behavior is completely broken in Doom and there are graphical glitches in Top Gear.
Looks like Doom was fixed in one of the recent unstable nightlies. Easier to recommend for SNES now

Still making my way through the never ending stack of "holiday projects" and thought I'd have a go at building some basic DaemonBite adapters that @Thamiel kindly sent me the parts for.

daemon_1.JPG

daemon_2.JPG

daemon_3.JPG

I'm glad I did this in hindsight and recommend it to all MiSTer users. I was perviously using the 2.4GHz M30 USB controllers from 8BitDo which are decent to my play style at 11ms input lag.

With the Daemonbite using the M30 Mega Drive 2.4GHz wireless pad I'm now down to 4.5ms. It's REALLY noticeable too, games are definitely more responsive. I'm just dreading remapping every game.

Here's some quick and dirty instructions for anyone who wants to do this:

1. Go to https://github.com/MickGyver/DaemonBite-Retro-Controllers-USB
2. Download the files for the adapter you want to make or just grab the whole repository
3. Install the Arduino App on your PC / Mac
4. Click the .ino file to open it or just load the file in the Arduino App
5. Build the sketch and upload it to the Arduino Pro Micro
6. Follow the instructions on the git page and wire up the controller port to the Arduino (I just used Dupont Wires)
7. Plug the adapter to your MiSTer via USB and you're good to go!

Here's the pinout for the Mega Drive, fairly straight foward:

sega-usb-adapter-wiring.png

I know there's some PCBs out there which offer multiple consoles ports, but I'm really after a PCB with dual Mega Drive ports and hopefully some form of 3D printed casing.

I know there's some PCBs out there which offer multiple consoles ports, but I'm really after a PCB with dual Mega Drive ports and hopefully some form of 3D printed casing.
I may be misreading, but are you saying you want to have a PCB that offers dual MD controller support? If so, there's a version in the repository (SegaTwoControllersUSB) that offers that.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4757437 there's a case I used for PC Engine and Saturn adapters. Had to cut the opening for controllers quite a bit wider to fit all the wiring, but otherwise it works all right. Pics below are my PCE version with the case.

IMG_20211227_145417.jpg
IMG_20211227_145429.jpg

SegaTwoControllersUSB
Nice. I didn’t see that. I’ll wire up another DB9 there. Awesome.

I was hoping there were PCBs made to mount everything in gracefully together though.

I made this adapter to connect Arthrimus controllers to MickGyver's Daemonbite Arcade Encoder to get advantage of the comfortable autofire but I had no success... there should be a problem with the Pro Micro programming because I can't make it register button presses with a dumb arcade controller (just connect buttons to ground when pressed). I chose Arduino Leonardo to compile and uploaded it via ICSP the same way I successfully configured some controllers for saturn pad.

I can share the kicad project to anyone interested.

I put one button for COIN (in order to be able to remap via MiSTer menu) and another one for OSD.

Attachments

• undamned2usb.png
    undamned2usb.png
    132.7 KB · Views: 126
  • undamned2usb-schematic.png
    undamned2usb-schematic.png
    17.9 KB · Views: 171
I made this adapter to connect Arthrimus controllers to MickGyver's Daemonbite Arcade Encoder to get advantage of the comfortable autofire but I had no success... there should be a problem with the Pro Micro programming because I can't make it register button presses with a dumb arcade controller (just connect buttons to ground when pressed). I chose Arduino Leonardo to compile and uploaded it via ICSP the same way I successfully configured some controllers for saturn pad.

I can share the kicad project to anyone interested.

I put one button for COIN (in order to be able to remap via MiSTer menu) and another one for OSD.

The 'Pro Micro' is a SparkFun board and they did not really do that great of job making it intuitive to program. You have to do this dance with the Arduino IDE where you click Program, then manually hit the reset pin on the Pro Micro. The Pro Micro resets and the main issue I ran into is the COM port # changes and the Arduino IDE get stuck looking for the old COM port and never successfully programs the Pro Micro. Any competent Arduino (like one with an ISP) doesn't require these hoops just to program the dang thing.

Someone wrote a batch script to work around this and seemingly had good results. I did similar to you and moved on to a different Arduino platform and never revisited the issue with this BAT file fix.

Batch File for Pro Micro programming

Thanks for the information. In order to upload the compiled .hex I used USBAsp programmer and avrdude this way (via ICSP in UNIX):

Code:
avrdude -c usbasp -p m32u4 -U flash:w:DaemonBiteArcadeEncoder.ino.with_bootloader.leonardo.hex

This method worked fine for Daemonbite Saturn controller.

Built a double ender, thanks for the heads up @Stupid Dufus -- only issue with this is that if you don't turn on the controller for P1 first and go for P2, the buttons don't register on the main menu until it calibrates.

Outside of that, it's excellent.

daemon_4.JPG

Still tho- as an aside - are there some missing MRAs? I noticed some games like AOF2 and Blues Journey, Fatal Fury Special, Fatal Fury 2, 3, ,etc are not found in the arcade version. But they are there in the console version. (again, same ROMs).
I just have released an update to this. Nearly all of the Neo Geo titles are supported now. There are some other additions like pause when OSD is open and H/V-sync adjustment controls. Enjoy: https://www.patreon.com/posts/missing-files-60446967

Last edited:
Back