What's new
Recently , @blackwine did possible to play the neo geo games from "Darksoft Neo Geo 2020-05-12.7z" archive .
To be able to use them in MiSTer , Arcade cores , you need to make the follows :

Step 1 : - prepare neogeo.zip for using in MiSTer sd card , in "games / mame folder (you need to get 3 files 000-lo.lo , sfix.sfix , uni-bios.rom and zip them - i took these files from MiSTer sd card from "BIOS / Neo Geo" folder) , after they are zipped , rename the archive in neogeo.zip and put the neogeo.zip , in games / mame

Step 2 : - for every neo geo game you want to play it in MiSTer you need to access from "Darksoft Neo Geo 2020-05-12.7z" archive , the "games" folder . There , let's say you want to use "zupapa" , enter in "zupapa" , compress : crom0 , fpga , m1rom , prom , srom , vroma0 in a single zip file , rename the archive.zip in zupapa.zip and put this file in MiSTer SD card , games , mame folder

Step 3 : - copy on MiSTer sd card the " _Arcade " from Blackwine's "NeoGeo-MVS_2021-12-28.zip" .
_Arcade folder from this zip archive contain 2 sub folders : "_NEO GEO" and "cores"

Step 4 : - for games that doesn't work , the ones who gets you in "cross hatch test" , is needed to access with text editor or notepad the .mra file of that game where is writen "setname"

ex : Samurai Shadown 2 package in MAME is named "samsho2" ! In .mra file that needed accesed , where "setname" is writen , you will see "smsho2k2" -- use the "smsho2k2" to rename the zip archive (see step 2)

- For rest of your Neo Geo favorite games , repeat the Step 2
- For Xeno Crisis same as Step 2 but little tricky with name of the zip : https://twitter.com/djalexunderbase/status/1476551288963883012?s=21

Thanks @jj1929 for great findings of this tutorial too !

Best,
Alex

Last edited:
Recently , @blackwine did possible to play the neo geo games from "Darksoft Neo Geo 2020-05-12.7z" archive .
To be able to use them in MiSTer , Arcade cores , you need to make the follows :

Step 1 : - prepare neogeo.zip for using in MiSTer sd card , in "games / mame folder (you need to get 3 files 000-lo.lo , sfix.sfix , uni-bios.rom and zip them) , after they are zipped , rename the archive in neogeo.zip and put the neogeo.zip , in games / mame
Step 2 : - for every neo geo game you want to play it in MiSTer you need to access from "Darksoft Neo Geo 2020-05-12.7z" archive , the "games" folder . There , let's say you want to use "zupapa" , enter in "zupapa" , compress : crom0 , fpga , m1rom , prom , srom , vroma0 in a single zip file , rename the archive.zip in zupapa.zip and put this file in MiSTer SD card , games , mame folder
3.copy on MiSTer sd card the " _Arcade " from Blackwine's "NeoGeo-MVS_2021-12-28.zip" . _Arcade folder from this zip archive contain 2 sub folders : "_NEO GEO" and "cores"

For rest of your Neo Geo favorite games , repeat the Step 2

Best,
Alex
Alternative is coming to archive.org sometime in the next 24hrs. I was lazy and didn't have it up prior.

can someone with a mister & neogeo core give something a quick test for me? shoot me a pm please!
edit: got a reply, thanks!

Last edited:
Still could use someone if they're near their setup!
edit: got a reply thx!

Last edited:
These shadow masks look great. Even though I won't be using them, I've been following Jason Dora's twitter on the development of them eagerly. Thanks for giving a glimpse of their availability.
yeah they are def an awesome addition to MiSTer

For those using a MiSTercade or playing this on a CRT you'll need to add this line to the end of your MiSTer.ini file too.

[X68000]
vsync_adjust=3
video_mode=320,16,32,16,240,4,3,16,6048
vga_scaler=1

p.s. - this is a useful link: https://archive.org/details/mister_x68k
Thanks for this!
I've only been able to play on my OLED so far.

I always wanted an x68000 but I thought $300 was too expensive. How wrong I was.

Having the core is great (even in current form) and now I'm actually glad I never got one. It's definitely cool but probably will be enjoyed best on MiSTer, vs the real thing.

@GeorgeSpinner agreed. As much as I love old computers, they’ve become too costly now. Once the X68K core is perfected, it’ll be yet another excellent reason why the MiSTer is a must-have.

@evilsim kindly sent me a 3D printed case for a dual Mega Drive Daemonbite so I built it properly. It took a bit of time, I’d say a good hour or two. Can’t recommend it enough. The minimal lag with the M30’s takes MiSTer to a whole other level.

EAA09E61-612A-4338-8E5D-E2A5A55E18E2.jpeg

Really wish I used kynar wire in hindsight (it’s a pain to strip though — anyone got any tips).

15E8FE98-8BD6-4680-8744-2848C134B3C3.jpeg

Not my finest soldering / wiring work but there’s no real need for strain relief so it’s all crammed in there now and works.

My biggest warning to people is to be careful of the USB port on the Arduino. After 10-15 removals, it WILL snap off or become loose. Best to plug your cable in and never remove it from the PCB side.

@evilsim kindly sent me a 3D printed case for a dual Mega Drive Daemonbite so I built it properly. It took a bit of time, I’d say a good hour or two. Can’t recommend it enough. The minimal lag with the M30’s takes MiSTer to a whole other level.

Really wish I used kynar wire in hindsight (it’s a pain to strip though — anyone got any tips).

Not my finest soldering / wiring work but there’s no real need for strain relief so it’s all crammed in there now and works.

My biggest warning to people is to be careful of the USB port on the Arduino. After 10-15 removals, it WILL snap off or become loose. Best to plug your cable in and never remove it from the PCB side.
some good case work

Looks great.

Is that fun-tak I see?

Are you using it to hold the lid closed?

If it is - I use the stuff, for purposes like this, all the time as well.

It's an a very handy tool when you need something temporarily affixed.

Is that fun-tak I see?

Are you using it to hold the lid closed?
It’s called Blu-Tack in Australia, but yep! Using it to hold the Arduino in place as I didn’t trim the case to fit it before I fitted the ports and cabling in the case and didn’t want to break anything! Case is being held together temporarily with tape until I give it a nice burn in. Then I’ll superglue it all together.

You can just melt through the insulation as seen in this video, (12:14).
I’ll try that method again. The two prior times I tried it, either the insulation was having issues melting or I made a mess of my irons tip.

Back