What's new
Related MiSTer FPGA - PSX Core ! Beautiful through Jamma Expander 🙏🏻

1BB0FAE9-52E4-480A-97B5-ACACAA2B9493.jpeg
8E8B7E41-2742-47BC-A7B7-3D2854834927.jpeg
My favorite Mr. Driller!

Aright boyos, I finally got my USB hub. Bought a cheap assembled one off an eBay seller that uses USB to power it off a splitter. The USB bracket that came with it didn't quite fit. Thankfully, I bought the USB bracket from Mister Addons when I bought my analog I/O and SDRAM. I did have to solder on a pin header to make that USB bracket work, but heh, that is no biggie for an arcade snob like me. "The circle is now complete."

Right now, I am using the stock DE10 Nano PSU and am having NO issues with controls using just one DS4 controller. I had heard of issues with controls unless one is to upgrade to a 4amp+ Meanwell PSU. No issues for me (thankfully).

From the perspective of being an arcade snob and a person that is pretty skilled with MAME-to-JAMMA application, MiSTer's current library doesn't offer me much. Also, being an arcade snob, OG hardware is always the pursuit (arcade gaming isn't just about the software), that is why the hobby is so damn expensive. MAME supplements arcade explorations and satisfies curiosities and that is it. But as a gamer who grew up with limited means, I had to pick one side of the fence or the other during the console war years. That pretty much meant I was a Nintendo kid. I wasn't a TG16 or Sega kid. So there is a gap in terms of what I was able to experience then. My purchase of MiSTer represents an opportunity to explore what I missed on the other side of the fence while growing up. It was never about arcade gaming for me. Though, I will tinker around with interfacing this to my JAMMA arcade cab.

Though the emulation I see is fantastic, it remains to be seen how much I will get out of MiSTer against this backdrop:
  • 20 or so arcade machines
  • Current gen consoles: PS5 & Xbox Series X
  • The HDMI/HD-era console generations: PS3, PS4, X360, Xbox One
  • Console generations before then
  • Other forms of entertainment
  • and the many pursuits in life
But, I have always wanted to play Snatcher and Policenauts. I guess I will start there!! :thumbsup:

Yeah, I did not expect to wake up to the Patreon email. I never dropped my support, but I don't blame anyone who did. Sounds like he's had a rough time, and I feel for him, that sucks. But I think it's reasonable to post a once a month update for people who are sending you money, even if it's "Supporting my family through some tough times right now, have to put this project on the back burner, but I will get back to it, appreciate the support" or whatever. Just let folks know you're alive, most will be patient.

Anyways, is what it is, nice to see it still alive.

That pretty much meant I was a Nintendo kid. I wasn't a TG16 or Sega kid. So there is a gap in terms of what I was able to experience then. My purchase of MiSTer represents an opportunity to explore what I missed on the other side of the fence while growing up. It was never about arcade gaming for me. Though, I will tinker around with interfacing this to my JAMMA arcade cab.
:thumbsup:

Hey if you want to tinker around, while I wait for the mistercade to ship, I've played with the AO486 core and somebody gave this thing a lot of love!! very nice package!

Hey if you want to tinker around, while I wait for the mistercade to ship, I've played with the AO486 core and somebody gave this thing a lot of love!! very nice package!
I'll pass on the MiSterCade. If there is a JAMMA I/O I'd pick up for MiSTer, it would be Jammix.

My purchase of MiSTer represents an opportunity to explore what I missed on the other side of the fence while growing up.
I hear you. For me, it's also just as much about the form factor. I always had the option to emulate Landstalker or Policeauts on my PC if I wanted to, but there's something about hooking up a "console" to your TV so you can just power it on, chill out on the couch and play a Genesis game, or putting a mister in an old PC case so it can feel like you're playing a classic computer game on a contemporary set up.

In a similar way, it's why I like playing Darkstalkers on my cab instead of some remaster on my PS4...

For me, it's more about the form factor. I always had the option to emulate Landstalker or Policeauts on my PC if I wanted to, but there's something about hooking up a "console" to your TV set up so you can just power it on, chill out on the couch and play a Genesis game, or putting a mister in an old PC case so it can feel like you're playing a classic computer game on a contemporary set up.

In a similar way, it's why I like playing Darkstalkers on my cab instead of some remaster on my PS4...
I could have played Policenauts using PSIO too. I think the convenience of being able to use wireless controllers will spur me to finally do that. Form factor is definitely an attraction for MiSTer.

Still though when it comes to vast forms of entertainment we have available today and all those that have been kept in between and acquired till now, who knows how much time is available for MiSTer. If I missed a gem in console generations past or hear of one that I should visit, it is going to be hard for that game to stack up to say........the upcoming sequel to God of War. God of War being probably the best game I've played in like the last 5 years. I still have to play Halflife Alyx on my PC and Quest 2, which I hear is one of the finest pieces of entertainment ever made.

I could have played Policenauts using PSIO too. I think the convenience of being able to use wireless controllers will spur me to finally do that. Form factor is definitely an attraction for MiSTer.

Still though when it comes to vast forms of entertainment we have available today and all those that have been kept in between and acquired till now, who knows how much time is available for MiSTer. If I missed a gem in console generations past or hear of one that I should visit, it is going to be hard for that game to stack up to say........the upcoming sequel to God of War. God of War being probably the best game I've played in like the last 5 years. I still have to play Halflife Alyx on my PC and Quest 2, which I hear is one of the finest pieces of entertainment ever made.
Oh for sure, play what you like. I'd rather play Landstalker or Gekisha Boy or a classic 90s adventure game than probably 95% of the new PS4 games coming out, so it is an easy choice for me, and is why I bought one in the first place :)

Back