What's new
It's the same rhetoric with *some* of the Raspberry Pi and Groovy MAME guys in the arcade communities. The amount of times I've cheerfully bought up arcade games in online conversation just to have someone randomly tell me how dumb anyone would be to spend money on original hardware and they don't notice the difference on their "insert emulation device here" rig... yet they've NEVER actually played the original hardware and are just repeating what they read online. Very evangelistic but maybe they need to constantly convince themselves that they're not missing out.
I agree 100%. It's very common that people need to convince themselves that they are not missing out.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I'm the exact opposite of the emu/MiSTer evangelists.

I find that, if I discover a game that I love via emulation or MiSTer, I want to own the very best version of that game. I become kinda obsessed with it. 9/10, if it's not absolutely cost prohibitive, I purchase the real PCB. I know, with the PCB, I have the REAL game.

i don't enjoy MiSTer nearly as much as I used to.

I feel kinda bad saying this, because I think jotego is a great guy (and I'm a long time Patreon supporter), but I would rather he refine the cores he's already created instead of releasing new cores, with their own sets of issues, every week or two.

We can play all these games via software emulation, if we want to play an imperfect version.

For me, MiSTer is all about the accuracy. I don't understand why there are low and high sound options in the cores. Why not just set the correct volume and have no option? Sound might be an area he struggles with. I've seen sound issues in several of his cores. He's great at going back and fixing issues when he finds the solution, but I suspect he has too many cores to ever go back and fix all of the issues.

Jotego doesn't owe me anything. I've certainly had a lot of fun because of him. I just feel like there's a missed opportunity; he's good enough to perfect his cores. My guess is that he feels pressure to release new content or lose supporters. I do love that he added a helper to his team. And if he hits 4000 subs he's hiring an engineer.

The reality is some of the chips have to be de-capped and this isn't going to happen in a speedy fashion. He doesn't de-cap himself and relies on others and it takes a looooooong time to do so. Once a new chip is de-capped, he goes back and improves the core.

The other, even worse reality is, MiSTer will not be able to get some (all?) games to a 1:1 match with the real deal. Some things you just can't do, such as certain timings. MiSTer will get us closer than software emulation, but, bottom line, you want to feel the real thing, get the real thing.

A "flesh light" is never going to be as good, no matter how expensive or fancy the silicone!

Last edited:
Nothing beats the real thing. I'm still not spending $2000 on PCBs, and some games I just don't care enough about emotionally to even spend the $400+.

Where it really matters, either accuracy wise or emotionally, I'm invested. Everything else is just gravy to me.

Nothing beats the real thing. I'm still not spending $2000 on PCBs, and some games I just don't care enough about emotionally to even spend the $400+.

Where it really matters, either accuracy wise or emotionally, I'm invested. Everything else is just gravy to me.
For sure. I love MiSTer for some games I can't get cheap enough to enjoy, I mean also all the stuff that's pre-JAMMA I don't want to grab adaptors for too.

MiSTer is great, MAME is fine, every way you want to play is great. I don't know why people have to be so tribal.

Last edited:
A big plus to MiSTer for me, at least since the PSX core came out, is that it has given me an easy way to play import games that have since received translation patches. I went to Japan in 2008 and got copies of, among other thhings, Persona 2: Innocent Sin and the two Suikogaiden games, which up to this point I just had sitting around. I have an import PS2 so I could play the games but not really enjoy them. MiSTer is close enough to a plug and play solution for this situation, at least for me.

I think in general if I enjoy a game I'd like to at least own a copy of it, but what with dying lasers and CD rot, and having to figure out upscaling for older consoles, I'm happy just plopping roms into MiSTer. Even if it's not a perfect 1 to 1 comparison to original hardware, it's close enough to be able to enjoy the experience, IMO.

The reality is some of the chips have to be de-capped and this isn't going to happen in a speedy fashion. He doesn't de-cap himself and relies on others and it takes a looooooong time to do so. Once a new chip is de-capped, he goes back and improves the core.

The other, even worse reality is, MiSTer will not be able to get some (all?) games to a 1:1 match with the real deal. Some things you just can't do, such as certain timings. MiSTer will get us closer than software emulation, but, bottom line, you want to feel the real thing, get the real thing.

A "flesh light" is never going to be as good, no matter how expensive or fancy the silicone!
I'm not referring to cores where chips haven't been de-capped. There are cores that he believes are done, or very close to accurate, that just aren't. There are also some nagging issues that he just can't figure out.

I would never tell anyone how to spend their time, it's not my business. That being said, I still wish for fewer cores that are more accurate.

I have never compared emulation to masturbation, but I think that's a pretty good analogy.

Even if a fleshlight felt BETTER than the real thing, the emotional attachment to the real thing is always going to be stronger, and that will always make the real thing better.

It’s a bit like food. There’s the real thing - unadulterated food and then there’s the processed stuff that most people happily eat or are forced to eat day to day due to limited options or funds.

Has anyone managed to get the Cave 68k cores running with direct_video over 15khz?

I’m able to run it on my setup with direct_video over 15kHz. Just using an hdmi to vga dongle. @kuze @dr_myslihiiri
image.jpg

Back