What's new
Is it/should it be possible to take a digital signal out of the HDMI port and use an active VGA converter, and have scaling work that way? I tried it last night, but when I loaded games they went out of range for the monitor (mister menu was fine). Any settings that you know of that might allow it to work this way?
I don't believe anyone has figured out a solution for this. In theory you could enable the vga scaler for each core and set the resolution to 240p/480p, then rotate might work? Not entirely sure as I haven't needed to work it that way.

MiSTercade Manual and Quick Start Guide both updated:
  • Updated instructions for copying the appropriate display MiSTer.ini file to reflect the current GitHub repository file names & organization.
  • Reorganized FAQs by subcategories.
  • Removed information on enabling vertical games to rotate for horizontal displays - it doesn't work consistently across cores and has cropping issues even when it does work.
  • Labeled most of the photos
  • Added documentation on the Remote, XL and Breakout Board accessories.
  • Documented SNAX functionality.
  • More details on the 5V / 12V voltage selection jumper on the Rev 1.1 board.
MiSTercade Full Manual:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UjkAZYI64kOb1BBOPBQpC4kbLPz9o5LEmcAAOpQNcuI/edit?usp=sharing

MiSTercade Quick Start Guide:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lPvx3XtTYk8y5mSuSqekgqvjRgXXst6IelePJjc-qrc/edit?usp=sharing

I checked the GitHub for Raizing games and there’s a recent entry from two days ago for Garegga, Bakraid and Batrider - “‘updating MRA in releases“. Not sure if this is related.

I checked the GitHub for Raizing games and there’s a recent entry from two days ago for Garegga, Bakraid and Batrider - “‘updating MRA in releases“. Not sure if this is related.
That would be odd, those updates are about timing things and broader memory compatibility iirc. I'm not up to date to test though. It's a minor pain for me to do it so I'm usually behind.

That would be odd, those updates are about timing things and broader memory compatibility iirc. I'm not up to date to test though. It's a minor pain for me to do it so I'm usually behind.
I see, thanks. Will just have to wait and see if anyone else reports a similar issue.

I see, thanks. Will just have to wait and see if anyone else reports a similar issue.
in the mean time, try to manually map the button and see if that fixes it. If so, let me know and I'll do the same on my end. No real easy way of updating the mapping files remoetely, unfortunately. They're too numerous for scripts to handle gracefully.

@misteraddons LOVE the Mistercade!

Any plans to implement an update script that will download new input files to the SD card?
Thanks! There's some changes to the input mapping system but I haven't figured out if that helps with the 1700 mappings that I have. There are 2 current issues: 1) 1700 individual files fill up small SD cards quickly due to sd card block size (32kB I think), and 2) how to handle user mappings that differ from the mistercade mappings (overwrite or skip)?

I'll keep chipping away because the idea of me keeping everything mapped and up to date is to make it easy for customers :)

I was planning on doing a more complex MiSTercade VS that allowed 1 MiSTercade to connect to many cabinets. I first made a hat that passes video and audio from cabinet to cabinet but the video integrity fell apart. So I made a new revision that includes video amplification at each stage. Sadly, the video is not much better.

As a result, I grabbed the first prototype, made a few tweaks and, thanks to your recommendations, have decided to make a simpler 2 cabinet version that will support up to 4 players total.

The VS cabinets are connected by 1 fully wired HDMI cable, and 1 USB cable. I've opted to run the cables through the 30mm hole in my Astro City cabinets so they are out of sight and out of mind.

Check out this video and ask any questions you might have here or on Twitter.

Cheers!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O93_66nIH8Y

I was planning on doing a more complex MiSTercade VS that allowed 1 MiSTercade to connecto to many cabinets. I first made a hat that passes video and audio from cabinet to cabinet but the video integrity fell apart. So I made a new revision that includes video amplification at each stage. Sadly, the video is not much better. As a result, I grabbed the first prototype, made a few tweaks and, thanks to your recommendations, have decided to make a simpler 2 cabinet version that will support up to 4 players total. The VS cabinets are connected by 1 fully wired HDMI cable (all 19 pins, not just 14), and 1 USB cable. I've opted to run the cables through the 30mm hole in my Astro City cabinets so they are out of sight and out of mind. Check out this video and ask any questions you might have here or on Twitter. Cheers!

As the kids say: "Let's go!"

I was planning on doing a more complex MiSTercade VS that allowed 1 MiSTercade to connect to many cabinets. I first made a hat that passes video and audio from cabinet to cabinet but the video integrity fell apart. So I made a new revision that includes video amplification at each stage. Sadly, the video is not much better.

As a result, I grabbed the first prototype, made a few tweaks and, thanks to your recommendations, have decided to make a simpler 2 cabinet version that will support up to 4 players total.

The VS cabinets are connected by 1 fully wired HDMI cable, and 1 USB cable. I've opted to run the cables through the 30mm hole in my Astro City cabinets so they are out of sight and out of mind.

Check out this video and ask any questions you might have here or on Twitter.

Cheers!

I think that's a great compromise and perfect for me personally. Get all those 3p and 4p games running while saving space and keeping the solution simple, reliable, and inexpensive. :thumbup:

I may plan on using the MisterCade in my PRas3 HD cabs (straight to HDMI/USB)... and so for linking:
Could I use the Mistercade XL Video/Audio HDMI port connector straight into an HD cab setup and just connect the USB from P2 into the MisterCade?

I am hoping that'll work, since the Mister does HDMI/VGA at the same time - so HDMI/HDMI would be awesome with the extra port, but would like to confirm. ^^

Great stuff, can't wait to get my hands on a couple VS Breakout boards. My XLs and cases are on the way!

Last edited:
That’s unfortunate. I bought the misterCadeXL with the intention of linking 4 cabinets for 4player action. Good to see that it’s at least working well for two cabinets

Last edited:
I think that's a great compromise and perfect for me personally. Get all those 3p and 4p games running while saving space and keeping the solution simple, reliable, and inexpensive. :thumbup:

I may plan on using the MisterCade in my PRas3 HD cabs (straight to HDMI/USB)... and so for linking:
Could I use the Mistercade XL Video/Audio HDMI port connector straight into an HD cab setup and just connect the USB from P2 into the MisterCade?

I am hoping that'll work, since the Mister does HDMI/VGA at the same time - so HDMI/HDMI would be awesome with the extra port, but would like to confirm. ^^

Great stuff, can't wait to get my hands on a couple VS Breakout boards. My XLs and cases are on the way!
Unfortunately, the HDMI audio/video on the XL isn't a standard HDMI signal. You can use an HDMI splitter though and yeah, just connect USB. The trick with the PRas3 cabinets is to convert from JVS to JAMMA, but maybe you already have that covered :)
Is a pre-order date already planned? Or still too early?
Let me get a 100% working board that doesn't have bodge wires first and check microcontroller availability.
That’s unfortunate. I bought the misterCadeXL with the intention of linking 4 cabinets for 4player action. Good to see that it’s at least working well for two cabinets
Maybe I'll leave the daisy chain video port on there but I've tested with 4 cabinets and it... doesn't look good. Based on the responses I got here, best to get the 90% use case covered first. Analog video splitting beyond 2 cabinets will require video buffering. Audio buffering is a bit harder than video buffering. In any case, I'm not giving up on 3+ cabinet linking but I can't spend tons of time on a feature for very few users at the moment.

MiSTercade Manual and Quick Start Guide both updated:
  • Updated instructions for copying the appropriate display MiSTer.ini file to reflect the current GitHub repository file names & organization.
  • Reorganized FAQs by subcategories.
  • Removed information on enabling vertical games to rotate for horizontal displays - it doesn't work consistently across cores and has cropping issues even when it does work.
  • Labeled most of the photos
  • Added documentation on the Remote, XL and Breakout Board accessories.
  • Documented SNAX functionality.
  • More details on the 5V / 12V voltage selection jumper on the Rev 1.1 board.
MiSTercade Full Manual:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UjkAZYI64kOb1BBOPBQpC4kbLPz9o5LEmcAAOpQNcuI/edit?usp=sharing

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lPvx3XtTYk8y5mSuSqekgqvjRgXXst6IelePJjc-qrc/edit?usp=sharing
Woo, I had just been referencing the manual after moving my MiSTercade around and updates are definitely welcome. I have a few questions now that it's been done though...

My MiSTercade (v1.1) does not have a slider for "AUDIO_OUT" at least as far as I can tell, and instead has two jumpers, one each for L and R channels. The manual seems to still reference a slider and does not reference the jumpers. Additionally, I can't seem to tell much of a difference in having the jumpers in either position, as both volume dials seem to work in either position, so I feel like I'm missing something here.

Also concerning audio, the first FAQ on page 29 reads "I’m using the 3.5mm headphone jack or RCA ports and the audio is really, really loud or distorted," and suggests putting the on-board amp in standby mode, but elsewhere in the manual and on the store page it states that the 3.5mm jack and RCA ports produce line-level audio with the amp only connected before the JAMMA edge for its audio output. Is this question stated for a different reason, or are the RCA jacks capable of using the MiSTercade's amp as well?

The new stuff about the remote board includes SNAX - does this mean if I buy another remote board right now it will be the new version with two SNAX ports and composite sync for GunCon? The store page still shows the original board I have with an unpopulated port and all. I realize I could open a store chat for this, but figured while I was here asking about the audio stuff I might as well.

Thank you a ton for putting together the manual and keeping it updated.

Last edited:
Thank you for the feedback on the manual. Let's cover your questions one at a time.

>. My MiSTercade (v1.1) does not have a slider for "AUDIO_OUT" at least as far as I can tell, and instead has two jumpers, one each for L and R channels.

You are correct - the Audio Out switch was changed to two jumpers on Rev 1.1. I'll fix that in the manual.

> Is this question stated for a different reason, or are the RCA jacks capable of using the MiSTercade's amp as well?

Both the stereo 3.5mm jack and RCA ports are line level. Amplified audio is only for the mono channel on the JAMMA edge. The volume dial adjusts both the line level and amplified output.

> The new stuff about the remote board includes SNAX - does this mean if I buy another remote board right now it will be the new version with two SNAX ports and composite sync for GunCon?

I don't believe @misteraddons has the new SNAX Remote board revision available for sale yet. I'll update the manual to make it clear that there are two Remote revisions. The new Remote will have the two SNAX controller ports, but not the Composite Sync port for the GunCon.

Last edited:
MiSTercade Manual and Quick Start Guide both updated AGAIN :thumbsup:
  • Added links to YouTube assembly and configuration tutorials
  • Updated Audio Out references for changes to the Revision 1.1 hardware
  • Clarified that the MiSTercade's volume dial adjusts both line level and amplified audio output
  • Remote documentation corrected to match the current shipping hardware
MiSTercade Full Manual:

Connected mistercade with astro city cabinet and have issue with some arcade game
- golden axe just load a test program menu and not response to any button have to reset mistercade
- many game such as gensan not response to coin insert (no credit count)

I also have the screen rotate issue when load some game such as
- ghosts'n goblins is screen upside-down
- Ikari and contra is screen rotate 90degree counter clockwise
- some other game can play normally such as cotton, knight of the round
Is this a normal issue? How to solve it?

Last edited:
Back