What's new
You'll probably have to build a control panel from scratch and wire everything up manually. I can't tell if the guns are wired to the JAMMA edge or if they go to a separate header on the board, but I suspect the latter.

Notice some cut wires on the solder side of the JAMMA harness:
Updated my previous post with pictures. Any advice on what I should buy/build to have an easily swappable control panel is much appreciated!
Those gun connectors will run somewhere other than the JAMMA harness, so I wouldn't worry about them at all.

You're going to need to assess whether it's more worth your time/effort to replace those wires and add in new ones for buttons that don't exist on your cab (and make a kick harness), or to buy a pre-made JAMMA harness and adapt it to your current cabinet (and also make a kick harness). Either way you're going to need more wire, a crimper, pins, etc.

Either way you have a good amount of work ahead of you to re-purpose the cab.

You'll probably have to build a control panel from scratch and wire everything up manually. I can't tell if the guns are wired to the JAMMA edge or if they go to a separate header on the board, but I suspect the latter.
They go to both the gun board and a separate connector on the main PCB. They can be ignore entirely for this.

They go to both the gun board and a separate connector on the main PCB. They can be ignore entirely for this.
So I can leave the guns as-is? If that's true I could mount them to the sides of the cabinet and have the new control panel permanently attached. This would be great.

I just bought some original Namco blowback guns from a forum member here. I'm going to get rid of the HAPP ones. I don't know if this changes anything. I'm hoping I can just plug them in to the connectors. There's a second 24v PSU inside for these, but I suppose I'm getting off topic now.

So I just need to add wires to my Jamma harness and build a kick harness? What is the long connector that's unused behind the p1,p2 start button connector? Will I be plugging my new controls into that?

I apologize for what may be dumb questions.

So I can leave the guns as-is? If that's true I could mount them to the sides of the cabinet and have the new control panel permanently attached. This would be great.

I just bought some original Namco blowback guns from a forum member here. I'm going to get rid of the HAPP ones. I don't know if this changes anything. I'm hoping I can just plug them in to the connectors. There's a second 24v PSU inside for these, but I suppose I'm getting off topic now.

So I just need to add wires to my Jamma harness and build a kick harness? What is the long connector that's unused behind the p1,p2 start button connector? Will I be plugging my new controls into that?

I apologize for what may be dumb questions.
Your best bet is to take out your multimeter and start pinning it out. Having a map will get your a lot farther.

Your best bet is to take out your multimeter and start pinning it out. Having a map will get your a lot farther.
I thought that might be what I needed to do. Sounds good. I'll get to work on that.

I've built arcades from scratch using PCs and SBCs before. I feel like taking this whole thing apart and putting it back together would be a worthwhile learning experience. Maybe mapping out all the wires will be sufficient. Thanks for the advice.

New here, but this thread seems to be the center of the MiSTercade universe, so it seems the place for it.

I've gone through a fair amount of misadventure getting the MiSTercade to record/stream, but think I sorted enough out.
Things I've noticed:
  • [Menu] section in mister.ini messes with hdmi signal, but it clears up when in-game (this thread helped me with that)
  • no HDMI audio, probably that DE-10 switch that flips during install
  • needed ground loop isolator to clean up some noise in 3.5mm analog audio
  • I still probably need a little usb-powered headphone amp on my audio, since I'm not doing line level, and am probably also losing some volume to the ground loop isolator. For now I'm boosting it in post-production.
Edit: well, with my HDMI audio discovery a few days later, all of my analog audio fiddling vanished. Now what am I going to do with a usb-powered headphone amp? 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:
New here, but this thread seems to be the center of the MiSTercade universe, so it seems the place for it.

I've gone through a fair amount of misadventure getting the MiSTercade to record/stream, but think I sorted enough out.
Things I've noticed:
  • [Menu] section in mister.ini messes with hdmi signal, but it clears up when in-game (this thread helped me with that)
  • no HDMI audio, probably that DE-10 switch that flips during install
  • needed ground loop isolator to clean up some noise in 3.5mm analog audio
  • I still probably need a little usb-powered headphone amp on my audio, since I'm not doing line level, and am probably also losing some volume to the ground loop isolator. For now I'm boosting it in post-production.

Welcome! Love that you did all this and spent so much time troubleshooting. Thanks for sharing your findings!

How's the Mistercade Versus coming along? I was looking into solutions for wiring up my second cab to my mistercade for a side by side setup, and it seems like the obvious solution.

So there is a big correction to that video. There is HDMI audio. No need for any of that analog fiddling I was doing. I have no idea what I was doing wrong. I toggled the HDMI_Audio_96k off via the ini settings script and it just started working, but now I can't reproduce the lack of audio even in 96k! 🤦‍♂️ So that greatly simplifies everything in my recording setup.

And I've got another new toy. A PS1 SNAC adapter, with a wireless PS2 light gun. I was shooting so many PS1 baddies last night that my hand almost fell off.
Time Crisis has aged like fine wine. I think I need a cable-notch in my cabinet so I can use wired accessories--maybe get some fishing, pachinko, or other controller-based craziness going.

Attachments

• DCzspnU.jpg
    DCzspnU.jpg
    690 KB · Views: 79
  • 2PzI5uX.jpg
    2PzI5uX.jpg
    766.3 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
@misteraddons any idea when we can expect the official remote cases or updated remote design w/SNAX support? That's my last bit of setup before I can finalize the Mistercade fully.

...I say that and then the Versus becomes available. 🙃

So there is a big correction to that video. There is HDMI audio. No need for any of that analog fiddling I was doing. I have no idea what I was doing wrong. I toggled the HDMI_Audio_96k off via the ini settings script and it just started working, but now I can't reproduce the lack of audio even in 96k! 🤦‍♂️ So that greatly simplifies everything in my recording setup.

And I've got another new toy. A PS1 SNAC adapter, with a wireless PS2 light gun. I was shooting so many PS1 baddies last night that my hand almost fell off.
Time Crisis has aged like fine wine. I think I need a cable-notch in my cabinet so I can use wired accessories--maybe get some fishing, pachinko, or other controller-based craziness going.
Out of curiosity, what brand capture card do you have? El Gato cards have some longstanding issues with audio, so just checking if that's the case.

@misteraddons any idea when we can expect the official remote cases or updated remote design w/SNAX support? That's my last bit of setup before I can finalize the Mistercade fully.

...I say that and then the Versus becomes available. 🙃
Yeah the V2 remote is being assembled at the factory and includes SNAX. Meanwhile, V1 remote case should be in production as well. I'm waiting on samples of the V2 remote case.

Versus has taken a slight back seat but I dusted it off yesterday and started evaluating it again. I'm still split between doing a strict 2P Versus or expanding it to daisy chain. If daisy chain is the solution I need to add a few things to make it more robust as signal degradation gets bad after the 2nd or 3rd cabinet.

Thanks for asking :)

Attachments

• IMG_6168.jpeg
    IMG_6168.jpeg
    149.1 KB · Views: 91
I'm still split between doing a strict 2P Versus or expanding it to daisy chain.
The use case for more than 2 cabs feels limited. I mean, neat, but not many games that support it, and how many people have 3+ cabs to dedicate to it? I own 8 and I still probably wouldn't.

But head to head vs is a common thing, someone asked me yesterday how to do it.

In lieu of a poll, I'd third this :) I am more excited about a VS setup than I am linking >2 cabs. Don't get me wrong, I would totally use the option one day. But I'd also be ok buying a head-to-head board for now and then waiting/paying for a different board down the road.

Out of curiosity, what brand capture card do you have? El Gato cards have some longstanding issues with audio, so just checking if that's the case.
It's an Avermedia 'Live Gamer Portable 2.'

But I've got more tests under my belt and it has to be the 96k. No idea why it ever worked on a retry, I probably failed to save my settings correctly. The 96k audio did fail to record on a future attempt and now I just leave it in 48k and have had 3 tests that have all worked fine.

My 'main MiSTer' has another LGP2 for recording that setup, but 96k has always(?) been off in the ini. I flipped 96k on, gave it a full power cycle, and it recorded a perfectly silent video for me.

Yeah the V2 remote is being assembled at the factory and includes SNAX. Meanwhile, V1 remote case should be in production as well. I'm waiting on samples of the V2 remote case.

Versus has taken a slight back seat but I dusted it off yesterday and started evaluating it again. I'm still split between doing a strict 2P Versus or expanding it to daisy chain. If daisy chain is the solution I need to add a few things to make it more robust as signal degradation gets bad after the 2nd or 3rd cabinet.

Coming from 3 NACs and 4 PRas which could all use the MisterCade/Mister - I'd be interested in up to 4p - there are a lot of great 3+ player games. It def wouldn't be my default use case though.

As a compromise - it'd be interesting if you could also configure Cab1: P1/P2 and Cab2: P3/P4, etc for those with 2L cabs.
4 players, 2 cabs

Does the XL not do VS?

Is that a new case for a remote board?

It's an Avermedia 'Live Gamer Portable 2.'

But I've got more tests under my belt and it has to be the 96k. No idea why it ever worked on a retry, I probably failed to save my settings correctly. The 96k audio did fail to record on a future attempt and now I just leave it in 48k and have had 3 tests that have all worked fine.

My 'main MiSTer' has another LGP2 for recording that setup, but 96k has always(?) been off in the ini. I flipped 96k on, gave it a full power cycle, and it recorded a perfectly silent video for me.
Do you have a Twitch or YouTube page I can follow?

Back