What's new
I typo'd on my earlier post about the mister.ini file. The default mister.ini file that is in place with a fresh MiSTer installation sets the resolution to 1280x720 (720p) which most displays support. If you don't get any display from your HDMI port at that resolution then I'd make sure the HDMI cable is tight and perhaps try a different cable. The 320x240 or 640x480 resolution is after you replace the default mister.ini file with one of the ones pre-made for the MiSTercade.
Let me check what's resolution in default mister.ini file. Thank you.

I believe the Cave games don't like having Coin+Start triggering simultaneously. Try mapping Coin and Start separately and see if that makes a difference.
I tried changing the menu combo to Coin+Down instead and that didn't make any difference.

If I go into the button remapping menu I can set them correctly, but am I right in assuming I shouldn't really have to do that, especially if I'm using standard supergun/JAMMA wiring, i.e. coin and start are where they should be and it works on other MiSTer cores/arcade PCBs, etc.

It just seems to me that the Cave games have slightly wrong defaults.

I tried changing the menu combo to Coin+Down instead and that didn't make any difference.

If I go into the button remapping menu I can set them correctly, but am I right in assuming I shouldn't really have to do that, especially if I'm using standard supergun/JAMMA wiring, i.e. coin and start are where they should be and it works on other MiSTer cores/arcade PCBs, etc.

It just seems to me that the Cave games have slightly wrong defaults.

I think we're talking past each other.

The Free Play feature on MiSTercade works by triggering a Coin input and then a Start input quickly after when the mapped Start button on the controller is pressed. This works fine for most arcade games but in my experience Cave games are more fussy - they expect a moment of time to pass between a Coin input and a Start input. The later Cave games will display "Coin Error" and restart if they detect anything unusual with how coins and Start are triggered - remember that these games were authored for physical arcade cabinets with real coins being inserted into a slot.

Anyway, as a test, try disabling Free Play on the MiSTercade DIP Switch, map Coin and Start to separate inputs, and then trigger Coin and Start separately on the Cave games and see if they work correctly for you.

I think we're talking past each other.

The Free Play feature on MiSTercade works by triggering a Coin input and then a Start input quickly after when the mapped Start button on the controller is pressed. This works fine for most arcade games but in my experience Cave games are more fussy - they expect a moment of time to pass between a Coin input and a Start input. The later Cave games will display "Coin Error" and restart if they detect anything unusual with how coins and Start are triggered - remember that these games were authored for physical arcade cabinets with real coins being inserted into a slot.

Anyway, as a test, try disabling Free Play on the MiSTercade DIP Switch, map Coin and Start to separate inputs, and then trigger Coin and Start separately on the Cave games and see if they work correctly for you.
Thanks for the explanation, but I don’t think I’m using Free Play, unless it’s on by default? I haven’t touched the four dipswitches so they’re at their default positions.

Like I said, if I manually remap the buttons then it works properly, (without touching any dipswitches), so it’s just a minor faff that some games (just Cave so far, as far as I can tell) have slightly wrong default mappings.

I’ll double check the dipswitches when I get in front of it again.

Thanks for the explanation, but I don’t think I’m using Free Play, unless it’s on by default? I haven’t touched the four dipswitches so they’re at their default positions.

Like I said, if I manually remap the buttons then it works properly, (without touching any dipswitches), so it’s just a minor faff that some games (just Cave so far, as far as I can tell) have slightly wrong default mappings.

I’ll double check the dipswitches when I get in front of it again.
Yeah free play is just assigning coin = start so any time you press start it also triggers coin. MiSTercade controls are USB exclusively so lever/button > jamma edge > microcontroller > usb > DE10-nano. The controls should be consistent from core to core as I manually created all mappings. If you can explain what's wrong with the Cave cores, I can check on my end. But I always map lever, B1-B3 (for shooters), coin, start, and pause (service button) for each game.

The Full Kits have a power supply for DE10?
Yeah I'm not including the power supply, partially to avoid any kind of weird issues. You can power the MiSTercade from the DE10-nano's 5V DC and everything except for the amplifier will work, but I don't want to see anyone with JAMMA plugged in and the 5V power supply because that will end poorly.

Yeah I'm not including the power supply, partially to avoid any kind of weird issues. You can power the MiSTercade from the DE10-nano's 5V DC and everything except for the amplifier will work, but I don't want to see anyone with JAMMA plugged in and the 5V power supply because that will end poorly.
Thank you

I never remember which is which, but I *think* CCW is the oddball direction that mostly Namco uses, and in a 'normal' tated cab you're CW and wouldn't have to worry about it?

I get it, there was never really a reason to have a standard, but it is annoying there isn't one lol.

I haven't used those files with my tate setup, and I'm honestly not sure what they're for. @misteraddons ?
ShootTheCore, didn't you use that in your Mistercade Setup video? I think the Mister menu will be in CCW as well if using tate ccw config file (I don't remember if I change the menu orientation or it's because of the config file for my setup). I also noticed response to controls became slower when I played horizontal orientation game with tate ccw config.

CCW = more modern standard (-90*) and CW = older style (90*). In summary, yes, those mister.ini files are set for the correct rotation for the monitors that they describe.

Also, agree, I wish there was a a better standard but CW (clockwise), and CCW (counter clockwise) seem to be the most descriptive to me :)

ShootTheCore, didn't you use that in your Mistercade Setup video? I think the Mister menu will be in CCW as well if using tate ccw config file (I don't remember if I change the menu orientation or it's because of the config file for my setup). I also noticed response to controls became slower when I played horizontal orientation game with tate ccw config.

The files I used in my video were the config->inputs folder for control mappings and "MiSTer INIs" folder for the mister.ini files that handle monitor configuration and Menu rotation for both CW and CCW.

Back