What's new
You might be missing the BIOS files ? Try using the update_all.sh script which you can grab via google / github as this has the 'bios-getter' section of the script to grab ALL the bios files. If you have the bios files then perhaps its the ISO/BIN-CUE files you have.
If one game works, they should all work.
Ah, good idea. This is a new MiSTer setup and is probably missing a bunch of basics.

Finally set up my Mistercade in my Astro City. Works great! Couple things:
  • Not sure how to have the remote outside of the cab without poking a hole in something, or leaving a panel open.
  • On 32X, I couldn't get buttons X, Y, and Z working in Mortal Kombat 2 even after setting the core to 6-button under Input. The Mistercade kick harness was clearly working fine since A, B, and C were mapped to the bottom 3 buttons, and all 6 buttons worked on Genesis. MK2 doesn't use the Mode button, right? I was hasty in trying to skip mapping Mode and tried to map it to Pause on the remote.
I also couldn't get any PSX games to boot (all went to a black screen). I need to verify on my other MiSTer if that's just an issue with my ROMs or what.
I'll double check the 32X thing since I've seen someone else say the same thing.

Update: You have to turn on 6 button controls in the MKII game menu :)

Last edited:
Finally set up my Mistercade in my Astro City. Works great! Couple things:
  • Not sure how to have the remote outside of the cab without poking a hole in something, or leaving a panel open.
  • On 32X, I couldn't get buttons X, Y, and Z working in Mortal Kombat 2 even after setting the core to 6-button under Input. The Mistercade kick harness was clearly working fine since A, B, and C were mapped to the bottom 3 buttons, and all 6 buttons worked on Genesis. MK2 doesn't use the Mode button, right? I was hasty in trying to skip mapping Mode and tried to map it to Pause on the remote.
I also couldn't get any PSX games to boot (all went to a black screen). I need to verify on my other MiSTer if that's just an issue with my ROMs or what.
Astros have a hole on the AC back panel which comes with a plastic lid, you can remove the lid very easily and use said hole for the remote cable.

I've got an interesting issue. I've got both the MisterCade and another JAMMA board (Marvel Super Hereos) in the same cabinet on a switcher. Both require kick harnesses so I ran two separate ones tied to the same buttons. (MSH is using a CPS2 kick harness and I'm using a CPS1 kick harness in the MisterCade.) Both work perfectly. However, MisterCade does not recognize the kick harness when I have the other one connected to the MSH board. Only when I remove it does the Mister recognize the kick buttons. On the flip side, MSH works just fine with both kick harnesses and with both connected simultaneously. So I'm stumped as it doesn't make sense to me.

Thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks

I'm having an issue with the jamma video output on the mistercade, color output is inverted. This issue is happening in a blast city with a toshiba pf tube. I have other PCBs I run in the cab w/o issue. Anyone seen this before?

I've got an interesting issue. I've got both the MisterCade and another JAMMA board (Marvel Super Hereos) in the same cabinet on a switcher. Both require kick harnesses so I ran two separate ones tied to the same buttons. (MSH is using a CPS2 kick harness and I'm using a CPS1 kick harness in the MisterCade.) Both work perfectly. However, MisterCade does not recognize the kick harness when I have the other one connected to the MSH board. Only when I remove it does the Mister recognize the kick buttons. On the flip side, MSH works just fine with both kick harnesses and with both connected simultaneously. So I'm stumped as it doesn't make sense to me.

Thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks

Usually kickharness issues with MiSTercade come from missing Ground lines. Maybe the MSH is doing something strange with the Ground lines when the other board is connected, like sharing the Grounds between the two boards?

I'm having an issue with the jamma video output on the mistercade, color output is inverted. This issue is happening in a blast city with a toshiba pf tube. I have other PCBs I run in the cab w/o issue. Anyone seen this before?
Can you post a screenshot so we can see specifically what you mean by “inverted”?

Also, you copied a 15khz mister.ini file from the MiSTercade GitHub as per the instructions, correct?

Usually kickharness issues with MiSTercade come from missing Ground lines. Maybe the MSH is doing something strange with the Ground lines when the other board is connected, like sharing the Grounds between the two boards?

I'm not sure. @misteraddons thinks it has to do with the signal being split down to a level where the microcontroller doesn’t detect button presses. I've seen people mention adding diodes in line for each of the kick buttons to fix problems with multiple harnesses tied together, but I'm not sure that would solve the issue I'm having.

Can you post a screenshot so we can see specifically what you mean by “inverted”?

Also, you copied a 15khz mister.ini file from the MiSTercade GitHub as per the instructions, correct?

Yup, I have the correct MiSTer.ini file.

arcade_pic.jpg

I'm not sure. @misteraddons thinks it has to do with the signal being split down to a level where the microcontroller doesn’t detect button presses. I've seen people mention adding diodes in line for each of the kick buttons to fix problems with multiple harnesses tied together, but I'm not sure that would solve the issue I'm having.
It's hard to troubleshoot fringe setups especially ones involving JAMMA switchers. MiSTercade has ESD protection and 1Kohm series resistors on each input line of its microcontroller. I don't see any easy solution unless you want to try bypassing the protection to the microcontroller at your own risk :(
Yup, I have the correct MiSTer.ini file.

arcade_pic.jpg
I can't say I've seen this and I did test the JAMMA edge video on every unit. How do you have it hooked up? Are you using JAMMA edge for video or one of the HD15 VGA connectors? If you're using the XL board's VGA connector, make sure you're not off by one pin or something. Also, do you have another consumer VGA monitor you can use to check the XL board's HD15 video?

I've never had any problems with my Mistercade kick harness working. Plug and play on the same cab I run CPS2 hardware on.

Are you running both on a JAMMA switcher, or do you manually switch between the Mistercade and your CPS2 board (I.E. swapping the JAMMA/kick harness from one to the other)?

It's hard to troubleshoot fringe setups especially ones involving JAMMA switchers. MiSTercade has ESD protection and 1Kohm series resistors on each input line of its microcontroller. I don't see any easy solution unless you want to try bypassing the protection to the microcontroller at your own risk :(

I can't say I've seen this and I did test the JAMMA edge video on every unit. How do you have it hooked up? Are you using JAMMA edge for video or one of the HD15 VGA connectors? If you're using the XL board's VGA connector, make sure you're not off by one pin or something. Also, do you have another consumer VGA monitor you can use to check the XL board's HD15 video?
Currently using the jamma edge. I've also tried the HD15 VGA connection on the mistercade itself (with the correct ini file) and I have the same issue. I don't have a consumer VGA monitor to check the XL output.

Currently using the jamma edge. I've also tried the HD15 VGA connection on the mistercade itself (with the correct ini file) and I have the same issue. I don't have a consumer VGA monitor to check the XL output.
I assume the DE10-nano isn't misaligned. Was this a pre-built unit or did you assemble it? You can use my site's contact page for further troubleshooting and possible replacement. Hard to troubleshoot cabinets remotely :)

I'm running the latest version, he just sent it to me to try and fix some problems. The customer support has been stellar.

Also, the Mister Army flak jacket is comfy, and bulletproof!

Are you running both on a JAMMA switcher, or do you manually switch between the Mistercade and your CPS2 board (I.E. swapping the JAMMA/kick harness from one to the other)?
No, I don't use Jamma switchers. They are, in my opinion, more trouble than they're worth and add extra failure points to hardware. But if I was to use them I wouldn't switch between CPS2 and Mister, I couldn't see the point of that particular combo.

Mister only as good as the programming on the core, but CPS2 might be the best one out there. It's been compared to real hardware down to frame perfect cycle accuracy in tests like running a real board and the Mister side by side and filming the idle animations to see if they stay in sync (I believe it was Alpha 1). No drift. Evo-caliber players haven't been able to find any difference in feel in demanding games like Alpha 3 or Vampire Savior, I just wouldn't bother to switch back and forth between the two.

I still use my real CPS2 multi at times, because it's handy to have if my Mister is doing something else. But I consider them equally capable at this point.

No reason to not try and troubleshoot your problem still, just not a use case I find personally compelling is all.

I assume the DE10-nano isn't misaligned. Was this a pre-built unit or did you assemble it? You can use my site's contact page for further troubleshooting and possible replacement. Hard to troubleshoot cabinets remotely :)
It was a pre-build, I did attempt to reseat everything but didn't help much. I will contact you through your website.

Has anyone come across cores that load all glitchy and whatnot? My Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo (and new challengers) seem to load really glitchy with artifacts and flickering. I'd say they load this way 75%-80% of the time. It doesn't happen all of the time, but most of the time. The odd thing is that none of the other cores seem to be affected, including the other CPS2 cores, although I haven't tried all of them.

I can record a video if that would help.

Anyone else experience this? Is it possible my core/ROM file(s) somehow got corrupted? Should I try a different microSD card?

Thanks!

Back